Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 56 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

My Coot was hidden in the middle-top of a stack of containers, resting on two gray-colored joined flat "non-containers."
Your Coot was well protected in tucked away between the containers. Did you offload in Long Beach?
Aussie Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hi Moonstruck and Seahorse 11
I'm happy with the noisy, dirty 2 strokes (I think). I have done about 900nm with them now but only in protected waters. Will get some blue water trips in later in the year. Then I'll get a better idea of fuel economy/speeds.
Doug
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk1
Aussie Doug - some technical problems with the inside photos of Poseidon (will have to take another batch next weekend) but have attached a few below. Hull shots are from the purchase survey. Mine is the the 3 cabin layout with the second head / shower in the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
On Lift 1.JPG   On Lift 2.JPG   Galley 1.jpg   Galley 2.jpg   Saloon Aft 1.jpg  

Saloon Aft 2.jpg   Pilothouse 4.jpg  
RobertLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Gorgeous vessel, Robert. Outside of perhaps the economy of a single engined full-displacement boat, I can't imagine your missing anything on that sweetheart. Good looking too.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Guru

City: somewhere
Beautiful
Old 07-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Robert, congratulations it looks fantastic. Now the real fun begins. Learning all the systems, discovering all the nocks and crannies, getting Posidien into the shape you want. I hope your good with a paint brush, lots
of bright work.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks. Will definitely keep the teak decks "silver" and the bright work looks so good it's worth the effort. I'm going with the "love at first sight" approach to choosing a boat. Not objective or rational, but I figure it makes the time and money sunk into it easier to accept.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Robert & Aussie: looks like together with Insequent we're building (or re-building) the OA base in Oz! If this keeps going we can have an OA Owners Club soon! (Aquabelle is a 1985 flushdeck motor yacht...last of the Mk 1 hulls. She was re-powered in 1998 and given a complete refit in 2009, including a hull extension to create a "Euro" boarding platform. In 2011 her bimini was replaced with a hard-top. Home port Bobbin Head, Sydney. Now progressing up the East Coast towards the Whitsundays: currently in Keppel Bay Marina, Rosslyn Bay/Yepoon).
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Aquabelle - if this keeps up people will think the old OAs are common as muck. Have been getting lots of advice from Insequent by PM during the sales process. Poseidon is quite original. Commissioned in Germany then imported from Greece by current owner in 2006. Fuel tanks replaced and extensive repairs to teak decks have been done but most of the systems need updating. Are you planning a return to Sydney any time soon? A raft up at refuge Bay could be a sight to see.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Robert: She'll be back at Bobbin Hd sometime in November. There are a few OA's including a couple of very late models) on Pittwater/Cowan and a couple on Sydney Harbour too. Would be great to meet at Refuge. BruceK from TF is also close by I think so we should rope him in if we can. Where are you plannng to keep her? And if you need any refit experience let me know....though Insequent has done a superb job & is now a great source of been-there/done-that experience. These boats are really great designs for Australian waters I think, with their only shortcoming being a bit less cockpit length/area than most of us would like. The flushdeck model, like Aquabelle, of which there are around 20 worldwide with 7 in Australia, doesn't have the raised pilothouse...it is more a 'Europa' single level. This creates a walk-in full-height engine room and a full beam aft owners stateroom, while retaining the generous midships stateroom. I will PM you my personal contact details
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that Poseidon is more a refresh than refit (at least in the short term) but I guess we'll only know once we get into it. Survey was very good and the owner took it on himself to fix any defects highlighted. A walkin engine rooms sounds nice. Had spent a long time looking at Defever 49s (which also have walkin) but couldnt pass up the OA when I got to see one. Poseidon has the Cat 3208 Naturals (210HP) and a big old Oban generator so a bit cramped but small inconvience considering the amount of usable space. She is on a berth at Fenwicks marina (Brooklyn) and the plan is to keep her for the moment. Our previous boat (5 years) was a small Colin Archer Yacht that we kept at Parsley Bay so we know the area reasonably well. Will reply to PM from proper computer but are going to boat show and definitely interested in catching up.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Guru

I have to ask. How much is shipping to Oz?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Robert. The idea of an OAOC is interesting. It appears there are quite a few potential members on this forum with a good number of local Aussie OA owners. I look forward to following your ownership of Poseidon and hope to catch up with you on the water. Doug
Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Aquabella, Your trip north is my dream, which I hope to do next winter. How long have you owned her? It appears her refits have prepared her for a whole new lifetime of cruising.If you're planing on calling into the Gold Coast on you way south, PM me and we can catch up. I would appreciate any photos of Aquabella as I'm always looking at ways to improve the use of the various spaces onboard Carpe Diem. Doug
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I have to ask. How much is shipping to Oz?
Shipping a mid section for an outboard motor to a friend in Perth a month or so ago cured my curiosity. I'm sure it cured his too.

$1,000

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Beachbum29 - not sure about an OA, but last year I had a quote for a Defever 49 from West Palm Beach to Newcastle (about 100 miles from my home) for $US54,000. With tax / duty / misc expenses etc, buying a $US160K boat in Florida would have turned into around $AUD270K landed (and that was when the $AUD was very strong). When I saw the OA at a marina 10 minutes from my home, I couldn't get an offer in fast enought.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Beachbum29. Shipping Carpe Diem from Long Beach LA to Brisbane Australia cost US$70,000. Cheaper then the fuel bill for bring it out on its own bottom, if it was capable that is. Like Robert said its only viable if you purchase a boat at a great price. Still if you we're interested in cruising this part of the world for a couple of years I think it would be worth it. I hope one day to return it to the US to do some cruising there.
Doug
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #38
Guru

Shipping costs are much higher than I thought.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Shipping costs are much higher than I thought.
It's all relative. I found the boat I wanted and other then servicing/running costs have only spent $$ on a new Bimini.
Doug
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

My next project is securing a tender whilst underway. As Aquabella noted in a previous post, our cockpit area is small. My boat deck has been converted to an entertaining area which works fantastically. But I can't tow my tender all the time. Any Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
image-1431997457.jpg   image-312449582.jpg