A new hole in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddie W

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tidal Holm
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1982
It can mean A-hole or a hole you throw money into, over time you guys and girls will be the judge of that.

New to trawlers, not new to boating. I come from a sailboat platform, have had several, I retired this past January and my wife and I began the search for a boat we could do the Great Loop on.

After 10 months we found a 1982 Mainship 34 Mk 1 that checked most of our boxes. After a survey and sea trial we purchased her in early November. We have spent the first month, accessing what we have and what will be needed to make it ours. We plan on spending the next 16 months working on her before we start the loop in 2021.

She is a solid boat and appears to have been taken care of. There are minor mechanical issues I will address, electrical and plumbing will be replaced and updated. Most of the issues we will address are cosmetic. On haul out the bottom was clean and in good shape, but we will have it stripped , bottom epoxied coated and smoothed out with new bottom paint and stripe. Hull sides are in pretty good shape, a few nicks that I will repair with gel coat. Deck and sides will be stripped, primed and painted with Alexseal, same with upper flybridge. All the exterior wood will be stripped and revarnished, thank god there is minimal exterior teak.

We have begun the process of replacing the interior flooring with faux Teak & Holly, I am pleased with it so far. Walls and Ceilings are next with foam backed marine vinyl. Each trip to the boat, I bring back a small project to do until the next trip. This latest project was to refurbish one of the cockpit ladders back to original. At some point the original teak steps were replaced with plastic.

The most time consuming was getting the aluminum tubes and brackets back to acceptable condition, a lot of sanding and polishing. I have a huge stash of teak and mahogany from an earlier sailboat refit and will be putting it to good use on this boat. The pics show before and trial fitment, the last pic of the steps show final look and I will start the varnish process tomorrow.

Sorry for the long post, I will try and keep our future progress posts shorter.

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 39
  • tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 36
  • trialfit.jpg
    trialfit.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 37
  • trialfit2.jpg
    trialfit2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 40
  • two steps.jpg
    two steps.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 44
Eddie, Dont worry about long posts..... You were providing history and details. SMILE
Welcome aboard!!!

Congrats on your new boat. Glad you have some projects to work on... Everyone needs boat projects.

Eddie, are you putting anything on the aluminum after cleaning it up? Maybe clear coat.

Ted

Welcome to the "bring out another (ten) thousand $$ club," as in BOAT.

Eddie, are you putting anything on the aluminum after cleaning it up? Maybe clear coat.

Ted

No clear, it just chips over time, I started at 180 and progressed to 1000 grit then polished them on my buffing wheel using a couple different grits of polish.Then I used a good wax, it dulls the aluminum from gloss to semi gloss and upkeep is pretty easy, wash it like you would a car surface and wax it every couple of months. Its what I've done in the past and has worked well for me. The other two ladders are stainless, I used a good polish on them and they look like new.

Welcome aboard, from another recent blow boat to stinkpot convert (although I haven't sold the blow boat yet). Wife and I also have great loop aspirations.

Nice boat for that. It’s an old boat that doesn’t get old. How are the mechanical systems? Keep us up to date.

Nice boat for that. It’s an old boat that doesn’t get old. How are the mechanical systems? Keep us up to date.

Its the main reason we chose this boat, I wanted either a newly rebuilt engine and trans or low hours well taken care of mechanical system. With this boat I got both. Engine is original turbo Perkins 2600 hours that has been well maintained. Tranny was rebuilt this past summer with upgrades and the Genset is a 1986 Onan with 2040 hours and has also been well maintained. I did not have an engine mechanic check out either, I am pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, I restore classic cars and motorcycles as a hobby and have rebuilt just about every kind of engine, gas and diesel along the way.

Nice boat. Congratulations and welcome. Looking forward to seeing photos of your adventures.

Welcome to the dark side! Your post checks all my boxes, It is specific in details , has pictures and outlines a never ending project with a smile.

Im not real familiar with Mainships. I was docked next to a nice one for a while but it was sold. I'm seeing more and more mentions of them here lately, must have something going for them.

Welcome Aboard

pete

Welcome and congratulations. I have a sistership, and your story sounds familar. I bought mine 4 years ago and completed the loop in Sept. Still happy with my choice of boat.

Welcome and congratulations. I have a sistership, and your story sounds familar. I bought mine 4 years ago and completed the loop in Sept. Still happy with my choice of boat.

I will have to call on your experience from time to time. Congrats on the loop. Its nice to hear from folks who are living the dream, not just dreaming of the dream. Thats not a knock on the dreamers, at present I am in that group too.

Back
Top Bottom