Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #1

City: Macedon, NY
New here. Hello everyone.

Hello, I've spent a lot of time on the water in my life, canoeing, kayaking, large and small power boats, large and small sailboats. Now I am considering a small trawler, perhaps to snowbird between NY and Florida, or even try the loop, gulp. Can anyone suggest a good way to determine boat values online? NADA seems unreliable on trawlers. I see a boat that looks nice, advertised for 30k, then I look up the value and the book states 12k. The book seems to work okay for other boats but not for trawlers, (or does it?). I like to know I'm in the ball park regarding my own wallet and the reasonable value before traveling to see a boat. Thanks folks.
Muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome.

I don’t think that NADA is terribly valuable for boats.

The best thing is to check Yacht world and start to get an idea of the asking prices for the type of boats you are looking at. Once you have an idea of what you want to start to consider and want to look at boats, then you might consider establishing a relationship with a buyers broker. They can give you information on what certain makes/models of certain boats actually sold for.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Welcome aboard. This is a great place to learn about trawlers and cruising on them.
For us, there were two areas of research we did. First was about ourselves, and how we lived, camped, and what we thought we wanted in a boat. Second was internet reseatch into possible boats, narrowing our lists of must have, should have, and would be nice to have, and matching those lists to boat makes, models, and sizes.
Yacht world is a good site, though as is mostly broker listings, the boats there tend to be on the higher $ side.
Boats.com and boattrader.com may have FSBOs and lower priced boats, and can be good as comparisons also.
Beware the "just needs a little work to be good again" boats. The work needed may exceed the value Of the repaired boat.
Do a lot of reading at this point, and take any boating classes available in your area. Books like Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship are good general resources, while Nigel Calder's Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual will be a good way to learn about the more common boat systems.
Cruising under Power, and the several accounts of cruising the great loop can give you an idea of what to expect, but the sea, as always, will bring the unexpected.
Know yourselves, plan well, and even if you have to start smaller, just start.
Good luck, JohnS