Old 06-11-2021, 02:09 AM   #1

City: Vancouver
New, hello everyone

Hello from BC Canada, great site with lots of knowledge being passed around.
New to boating and still looking for a trawler so wanted to join and thank everyone that posts such great info for others to learn from.
Cheers.
Wild-Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Welcome to the asylum. Be advised there is a proven risk of becoming a boat owner "hanging" here. It happened to me.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard, eh?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Welcome from Vancouver Island & good luck with your search..........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #6

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Constellation
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome, I too am from BC now living in Florida. Where are you in the beautiful province and what type of boat do you have?

Den
M/V Constellation
Constellation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constellation1 View Post
Welcome, I too am from BC now living in Florida. Where are you in the beautiful province and what type of boat do you have?
From Fraser Valley BC still looking for a boat.
Thanks to all for the welcome comments.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Welcome to the 'funny farm' from what 'they' call south FL. If you look for me, I am in Aventura FL which is just south of Hallandale Beach FL.

I wish you luck on your boat search. Due to Covid, your search area may be a bit limited for now and you might pay a premium pic because of that imposition.

I do not know your boating experience but if you are starting from zero, take boating courses until they are coming out of your ears.
Next, charter a few boats to hone your boat handling, navigation skills and and and.... Consider employing a teaching captain for a few days,
Now, because you are currently boatless, please answer a few questions to aid in your search.

Number of people reliably onboard. Excluding friends who always wanted to go boating but refuse to buy their own boat. CHUCKLE (1 or 2 staterooms) Advice: dont make the guest too comfortable or they will never leave.
Your proposed cruising grounds.
and finally that vague question, your budgets, purchase price, upgrades and maintenance.
That should start the pot to boil.
I always like to see the answers, sort of..... You dont need my help on "How to spend your money."
Old 06-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
A funny thing about searching for a boat is that when your search is finally completed, all the papers have been signed, etc. You will still find yourself on Craigs list, eBay and Yachtworld looking to see what is out there. I guess it becomes a habit that is fun to do even when not necessary. Its still fun.

Enjoy it.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Welcome to the 'funny farm' from what 'they' call south FL. If you look for me, I am in Aventura FL which is just south of Hallandale Beach FL.

I wish you luck on your boat search. Due to Covid, your search area may be a bit limited for now and you might pay a premium pic because of that imposition.

I do not know your boating experience but if you are starting from zero, take boating courses until they are coming out of your ears.
Next, charter a few boats to hone your boat handling, navigation skills and and and.... Consider employing a teaching captain for a few days,
Now, because you are currently boatless, please answer a few questions to aid in your search.

Number of people reliably onboard. Excluding friends who always wanted to go boating but refuse to buy their own boat. CHUCKLE (1 or 2 staterooms) Advice: dont make the guest too comfortable or they will never leave.
Your proposed cruising grounds.
and finally that vague question, your budgets, purchase price, upgrades and maintenance.
That should start the pot to boil.
I always like to see the answers, sort of..... You dont need my help on "How to spend your money."
Thanks, yes looking into courses and training with a captain.
Will hire captain to work with us on our boat for sure so we get comfortable with it. Rather spend the extra money on training in our own boat then charter rental etc.
Will cruise BC Canada waters which has a learning curve for sure with currents and tides.
Ready to purchase but not in a rush to buy over priced boats at the moment and I think the Canadian gov't may impose a luxury tax on boats in 2022 so who knows what will happen then with boat prices.
Two onboard at all times, looking for 3 rooms , like everyone else we have a list of wants that we probably won't get.
Hopefully $500,000 can get us floating if not then I will contact you so you can still advise me on how to spend my money on something other than a boat
Warning I only have $ 50.00 my wife has the other $ 499,950. and she doesn't listen to anyone
Thanks for your good advice, cheers,
Old 06-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
A funny thing about searching for a boat is that when your search is finally completed, all the papers have been signed, etc. You will still find yourself on Craigs list, eBay and Yachtworld looking to see what is out there. I guess it becomes a habit that is fun to do even when not necessary. Its still fun.

Enjoy it.

pete
I agree, I still look at old cars on the internet that I have no interest in buying anymore.
Thanks for saying hello. Cheers
Old 06-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Run View Post
Thanks, yes looking into courses and training with a captain.
Will hire captain to work with us on our boat for sure so we get comfortable with it. Rather spend the extra money on training in our own boat then charter rental etc.
Will cruise BC Canada waters which has a learning curve for sure with currents and tides.
Ready to purchase but not in a rush to buy over priced boats at the moment and I think the Canadian gov't may impose a luxury tax on boats in 2022 so who knows what will happen then with boat prices.
Two onboard at all times, looking for 3 rooms , like everyone else we have a list of wants that we probably won't get.
Hopefully $500,000 can get us floating if not then I will contact you so you can still advise me on how to spend my money on something other than a boat
Warning I only have $ 50.00 my wife has the other $ 499,950. and she doesn't listen to anyone
Thanks for your good advice, cheers,
I suggest you look at a new American Tug. Not sure about the used market.
Advantage is no exterior teak/wood.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I suggest you look at a new American Tug. Not sure about the used market.
I looked at one Nordic Tug it was nice but too small for what we need it for.
Used I would say any tug 49 feet or north of that would be close to $ 1m Canadian funds.
I wonder if two Nordic tug owners were drinking and one offended the other if the words " shut-up or I will hull slap you" were ever uttered ?
American and Nordic are very nice boats for sure.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
Guru

Look at the AT43 or AT48.
No idea of the price nor availability of "used"