Old 06-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #1

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: Billy Ruffian
Vessel Model: Grand Banks ~Sedan 36
New Grand Banks owner - UK

Hi

My proper name is Trevor, and I live in the village of Hamble, near Southampton in the UK.

Having been boating for over 40 of my 61 years, I acquired my Grand Banks Sedan 36 last Friday. My last boat was a slightly smaller pocket trawler, the UK made Corvette 32.

But was a bit too small so I have now graduated to the GB, and hope we will get along very well.

I hope to be active on this forum as I have a huge amount of knowledge, but for the next few months will be on a distinct learning curve for this cracking new to me boat. So please expect a few stupid questions.

Trevor
superheat6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Welcome and ask away, Trevor! We don’t know it all so everyone should be asking questions from time to time. Many times a GB36 and GB42 gave same or similar systems and components. What year is your 36?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Welcome, Trevor, and hearty congrats on your new-to-you GB 36. Hope we'll get to see a photo or two sometime. The sedan version is rather uncommon out here in the colonies. Best of luck!
Old 06-19-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Welcome Trever. You will like the 36. Pictures are always appreciated
Old 06-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

Grand Banks Sedan 36

Thank you for the warm welcome.

We looked at the Sedan and decided the extra day space was worth the loss of the aft cabin.

Here are a few photos ...
Attached Thumbnails
remote.axd (1).jpeg   remote.axd (2).jpeg   remote.axd (3).jpeg   remote.axd (4).jpeg   remote.axd (5).jpeg  

remote.axd (35).jpeg  
Old 06-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
She's a beauty, all right!
Old 06-21-2022, 09:01 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome.
We looked at the Sedan and decided the extra day space was worth the loss of the aft cabin.
Here are a few photos ...
Yes, the sedan outlay is great for that indoor/outdoor living style. We also kept looking until we found a CHB 34 sedan as well - much rarer back in the day when its hull was laid down in 1975. More than happy to pass on the aft cabin in favour of the large and more usable saloon and cockpit.

For what it's worth, if you were looking to improve that outdoor experience even more, you could do, when able, the same as I had done to ours, and create the covered side decks and cockpit of the later models hard-top versions via frame and canvas. It transformed our boat. See pics. I could provide more details if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg   656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg   EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg  
Old 06-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #9

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
A stunningly grand looking boat you have there Trev and the red ensign looks at home.
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, the sedan outlay is great for that indoor/outdoor living style. We also kept looking until we found a CHB 34 sedan as well - much rarer back in the day when its hull was laid down in 1975. More than happy to pass on the aft cabin in favour of the large and more usable saloon and cockpit.

For what it's worth, if you were looking to improve that outdoor experience even more, you could do, when able, the same as I had done to ours, and create the covered side decks and cockpit of the later models hard-top versions via frame and canvas. It transformed our boat. See pics. I could provide more details if interested.
I nearly bought a Chung Hwa 34, but backed out due to problems f severe neglect. The awnings look good so some more photos would be great, but bear in mind the weather in England doesn't require so much sun cover, although our Summers are improving.

Although she flies a Red Ensign presently, as an ex-Royal Navy man she will soon fly the Blue Ensign.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:41 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
I nearly bought a Chung Hwa 34, but backed out due to problems f severe neglect. The awnings look good so some more photos would be great, but bear in mind the weather in England doesn't require so much sun cover, although our Summers are improving.

Although she flies a Red Ensign presently, as an ex-Royal Navy man she will soon fly the Blue Ensign.
superheat6k, the benefit from the extra cover does not only relate to sunshine, but wet weather as well. Making it less likely to get window leakage, and so you can get along the side decks, even when it's pelting down, and one can sit outside in the sheltered cockpit. It also means the cockpit floor is not a minor lake making going in and out drier, shall we say..? More pics to follow. Any decent metal frame builder could easily duplicate just from these photos.
Attached Thumbnails
E2913EE4-9B99-4F12-B07F-0400FB3703A9_1_105_c.jpeg   0BA8779C-9669-41DC-BD8E-C192325B4CB2_1_105_c.jpeg   8BC0D9F6-13A9-40E5-B90D-AA45D6F3CDBF_1_105_c.jpeg  
Old 06-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #12
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Check out my blog, grandbankschoices. We have done many upgrades and improvements.

Good luck with the boat.
Choices is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
Check out my blog, grandbankschoices. We have done many upgrades and improvements.

Good luck with the boat.
Can you send me the link please.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Just Google, grandbankschoices. Any questions PM me.
Choices is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #15

City: portsmouth
Vessel Name: Chartwell
Vessel Model: GB 36 Classic
Hi Trevor welcome to the forum which I have found incredibly helpful over the last few years. I am based in Portsmouth but currently in the French Riviera having taken my 36 classic to France 5 years ago. Maybe see you sometime when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20200926-WA0007.jpg  
Chartwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Potts Harbor ME
Vessel Name: Third Reef
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Heritage Classic
Grand Banks

Welcome to The Trawler Forum and to Grand Banks ownership. You won't regret it! Great luck and this is the spot for all your marine questions. Be sure to go to the Grand Banks section of this forum and add your story to the GB Roll Call
Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1948.jpg  
mbdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:06 AM   #17

City: Menorca
Quote:
Hi

My proper name is Trevor, and I live in the village of Hamble, near Southampton in the UK.

Having been boating for over 40 of my 61 years, I acquired my Grand Banks Sedan 36 last Friday. My last boat was a slightly smaller pocket trawler, the UK made Corvette 32.

But was a bit too small so I have now graduated to the GB, and hope we will get along very well.

I hope to be active on this forum as I have a huge amount of knowledge, but for the next few months will be on a distinct learning curve for this cracking new to me boat. So please expect a few stupid questions.

Trevor
Welcomed to Trawler Forum. I have been using it to help with queries on my President 43. We have just sold our farmhouse in Spain and are now liveaboards. Life is very different as your priorities revolve around sustainability. So batteries, solar power and reliable Genny move up the list. I haven't commented on here before. I, like you, will have many questions over the next few months - so welcome. By the way we have two GB42's moored alongside us in our marina!
Chris Collman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #18

City: Grimsby
Vessel Name: Sharne Lisa
Vessel Model: 1980 Fairways trawler 38
Welcome aboard.
Mike from Grimsby. I have a Fairways trawler38, based in our club's marina. See the HCA website.
mike r smith is offline   Reply With Quote