Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #1

City: Corona
New Girl almost on the water

Hello Everyone,

My husband of 26 years and I have always dreamed of living aboard a boat at least part time. Well the time is getting close. The children are grown and he retires next year. I have a four more years to go. While he is waiting for me to retire he is going to start taking classes and researching what boat we should buy. We are thinking to purchase between 45'-55' trawler.

We would appreciate any advice about what to look for in a trawler and what we should stay away from.

Thank you...
NikkiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hi Nikki: There's a wealth of knowledge here, and no such thing as a stupid question about boats. It's great that Hubby is starting the learning now, cuz the search for your dream is a lot of fun. Check out Yachtworld.com, Boats.com, Boat Trader or anything else you can. Pick up boat mags at your local West Marine. Plan a vacation on a charter boat in a style of boat you're curious about. Check out Marinas and ask people about their boats. Begin to form an idea of the kind of boat that would do "your" kind of cruising. Fast or slow, diesel or gas, aft. cabin (sundeck) style, sedan style, Europa style, Tug, Pilothouse, Catamaran, Down East, fly bridge, cockpit, how many staterooms, heads (baths), full beam (full width) cabin or side decks for line handling, on and on. Don't worry about knowing anything, that's what the search is about, learning. Have fun and ask all the questions you want, but most of all, have fun.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Marietta
Hey new girl...

Hey NikkiW...I am a couple of years away from acting on the same dream as you and your husband. I am doing exactly what healhustler suggests and actually really enjoying the process...enjoy, good luck, maybe we'll see you out on the water in several years...
Irdiverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Good to have you check in with us and join a group of unusually knowledgeable and helpful people. I myself am not as knowledgeable as many are on here, but one thing that I think I can safely say, and that is not to rush into it. Take your time. Healhustler gave very excellent advice (which he usually does).

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote