New to the forum and glad I found it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cory880

My name is Cory. I am a 32yr veteran of the fire service. I currently work for the Carmel Fire Department. We are the Carmel by the interstate, not the Carmel by the sea. We border the north side of Indianapolis. The fire department is the best job I’ve had the privilege of having. My wife and I are no rookies to the boating scene as we have been boating on the Ohio River for the last 25yrs and have traveled up and down her great banks. We have done the run-about thing, cuddy’s, aft-cabins and moved up to a 60’ house boat. That is gone now and we are planning our retirement. I am new to this forum and I am looking to find some help in my retirement for buying, mooring and living the good life on the west coast. I have a 12yr old granddaughter that I want to introduce her to boating and the great life it affords. They are located in the San Luis Obispo area and I have been there several times as well as Morro Bay. Morro Bay would be a nice place for us to retire and close enough to her. I look forward to speaking with a lot of you and possibly meeting you one day. Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions, Cory

Last edited:
Cory
Welcome aboard TF I think you will generally find the group friendly and helpful.
My Dad retired from NYFD so I salute you.
Take a look around TF - How To Use, Community Rules, etc
Boat Search 101 Sticky in the Gen Discussion is a good place to start
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-search-101-a-14905.html
If any questions find a Moderator (BOLDED user name at the bottom of the main page) you can ask questions by clicking on the name and Contact Info and send them a Personal Message (PM)
Glad to have you aboard

God bless your father and please thank him for his service. I appreciate you reaching out. I will be reviewing all the avenues on the forum to get my feet wet. Thank you. Have a nice day

Hi Cory - having driven through a few times, I agree Morro Bay looks like a great place to live, and should stay relatively cool in a global warming world. You should know much more than us about the fire risk in those areas but I suspect that’s more inland.

It’s all relative. I give huge props to those on the lines in the wild land fires. I will take a structure fire any day compared to a fire that can generate its own wind and power. My hat is off and big respect to those on the west coast.

...We are the Carmel by the interstate, not the Carmel by the sea. We border the north side of Indianapolis. ...

Welcome. Your intro reminds me of our first trip on our newly-purchased boat, from Newport, RI to Coeymans on the Hudson River, where they pulled and prepped it for shipping to SOUTH DAKOTA. We had already changed the hailing port before taking delivery in Newport, so the transom said "Yankton, SD." Everybody kept saying, boy, you're a long way from San Diego! Didn't make any sense at all but we got a kick out of it anyway.

I ran into a guy when I was headed to a fund raiser event. I had my uniform on and he was from the west coast. He thanked me for traveling so far to do an event. I had t burst his bubble and tell him I was the “Carmel”by the interstate, not the sea.

Greetings and welcome aboard. Morro Bay inlet can be challenging at times but you will learn how to handle it. George C. Scott took a chartered boat 84’ named Mojo and stuffed it into the surf. Someone got a photo of it happening. Awesome. Google Mojo photo Morro Bay.

Last edited:
I will be looking for direction and asking a million questions. This is not a fact finding mission it’s a great start to retirement looking through the eyes of those that have been there. Thank you in advance.

Since I am from the Midwest and I understand pricing along the rivers here, How do I find out pricing for mooring or slip rental on the west coast? I keep looking through the search thread and I don’t get anything back. Any help would be great. Not sure if I’m hitting the right west coast terminology. Thank you

Trying to do my research and it is way too hard to get information to light on the west coast. anyone have any shortcuts to make it easier?

Since I am from the Midwest and I understand pricing along the rivers here, How do I find out pricing for mooring or slip rental on the west coast? I keep looking through the search thread and I don’t get anything back. Any help would be great. Not sure if I’m hitting the right west coast terminology. Thank you

I would Google marinas in Morro Bay, then start calling them. Also maybe start a thread here on TF asking for info on Morro Bay. Make the heading clear so that maybe member in that area will respond.

Welcome to TF! Lots of fun here. We like pics too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom