New to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCHUTZEE

Hi, I'm Bob and I just joined. I have been boating for over 50 years and have owned two Whalers, 21 Outrage and 18 Ventura (my current boat). I also owned a 2000 Albin 31 Tournement Express whch I loved. I sold it when my daughters were teens as they had too many other activities going on.

My long term girlfriend (21 years together) and I are looking for a boat to do the Downeast Loop. Has to be galley up, one stateroom is OK, built 2000 or newer. My max budget is $300K although I would prefer closer to $250K.

I like the speed of twins, but also like the protection of a single engine with a skeg protecting the prop.

I look forward to learning everything I can on this website and welcome suggestions.

Hello, Bob, and welcome aboard. It would appear from your boating background and your mention of liking the speed of twins that you are not intent on buying the typical 40-foot "ish" twin or single diesel engine powered trawler. I downsized from such a vessel in 2015, and they haven't booted me off yet.:)

What cruise speed are you after?

Do you have a fuel preference?

Do you want a comfortable anchoring vessel with, say, a generator or just inverter with adequate house battery bank?

How about the idea of a flying bride? I personally seldom used mine on long cruises, and am happy now without one at all. Others have the opposite preference.

Single stateroom suggests something more in line with a 30-foot "ish" vessel.

Hello, Bob, and welcome aboard. It would appear from your boating background and your mention of liking the speed of twins that you are not intent on buying the typical 40-foot "ish" twin or single diesel engine powered trawler. I downsized from such a vessel in 2015, and they haven't booted me off yet.:)

Do you want a comfortable anchoring vessel with, say, a generator or just inverter with adequate house battery bank?

How about the idea of a flying bride? I personally seldom used mine on long cruises, and am happy now without one at all. Others have the opposite preference.

I would like an ecconomical 8-10 kt cruise, WOT 20kt ? Diesel only, generator as heat & AC are a must. Not sure on the flybridge.

Hull length will be important in achieving the 8-10 kt cruise, and I thing you will be looking in the 40-foot range for that, but the 20-knot get up and go will take hard chines and a lot of reserve HP unless the boat is awfully light. As an example, I tend to shove a lot of water ahead of my bow (30-foot waterline) which rises quickly at 10 MPH making it not so economical (2100 RPM and 2 stature miles per gallon). Slowing back to 1400 RPM where my theoretical hull speed of 8.3 MPH lies, I get around 4.5 MPG. WOT of around 3800 RPM gives me around 20-22 MPH (17.3 - 19.1 knots), but I am happier running my 315 HP Yanmar at 3000 RPM giving my 16 MPH at 8.7 GPH (1.8 MPG), measured on my FloScan. My 42-foot was comfy running at it's hull speed 8.6 Knots at 1600 RPM on the much slower turning pair of diesels it had.

Twins vs. single is normally not just about getting more speed. There are many pros and cons of either, but higher speed is usually not the reason to go with twins.

IMO for a given boat I don't think twin (smaller) vs single (larger) makes a significant difference in speed or economical cruise. It has to be rare that the second engine is close to the same HP / displacement of the single.
Not well versed in large # of different boats will venture a guess that hull shape will determine both speed & economics.

Hi, I looked at a 2004 Nordic 37 in Geneva, NY. She was on the hard (for over a year) and wrapped so it somewhat limited my ability to see her. The boat needs a complete detail and the interior wood seems very dry. I guess that can be treated with something to bring back the lustre. The teak & holly sole was water damaged on one engine hatch due to a leak in from the pilothouse roof hatch which has reportedly been addressed. All electronics are original. Asking is $319,000. What is a reasonalble offer to start? Is there anytiing like CarFax for boats? The HIN is NTK37106B404.

Hi, I looked at a 2004 Nordic 37 in Geneva, NY. She was on the hard (for over a year) and wrapped so it somewhat limited my ability to see her. The boat needs a complete detail and the interior wood seems very dry. I guess that can be treated with something to bring back the lustre. The teak & holly sole was water damaged on one engine hatch due to a leak in from the pilothouse roof hatch which has reportedly been addressed. All electronics are original. Asking is $319,000. What is a reasonalble offer to start? Is there anytiing like CarFax for boats? The HIN is NTK37106B404.

Boatfax? Nah. I understand that brokers have access to a database of actual selling prices which might be of some limited use since every boat's condition is so much different than the next. I only know that I'd have issues with handing over 319K for any 37-foot boat of that age, especially one not in the water and running.

Of course I would have a full survey and have a Cummins mechanic check the engine out prior to a sea trial.

Robert,
I think I know the yard and boat you are talking about. I dont know much about the boat history but have a friend that inquired about it and response was not ready to show and needed work before it would be. He didnt say exactly what the issue(s) were that needed to be addressed. Im close by and winter at the yard. Let me know if I can help.
Best bet is to do some searching online for similar boats +/- years and size to get a feel for what they were listed at. If you find other owners online they might be willing to share actual purchase price.

I would highly suggest a flying bride vs a terrestrial one :)

From the post below...

rethink your idea that a flybridge is optional. It is a MUST for me.

pete

pete
To each their own... a FB has been on our "Do not want" list for some time.
They do not fit our age, nor cruising style. Our current hardtop version will likely add 10 yrs to our ability to handle it comfortably.

Happy New Year to all ! I'm looking at the Nordic 37 Tug in Geneva, NY. I need a Cummins shop to survey the engine. Any suggestions?

pete

As much as I like flybridges I love my air conditioned Portuguese bridge with the option of opening the doors and windows . When its pouring rain for days upon days I dont worry about leaks or instruments getting doused .

Attachments

• 71503097976__116EB8ED-003A-48DC-8B91-C2F6E122EAE9.jpg
    71503097976__116EB8ED-003A-48DC-8B91-C2F6E122EAE9.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 70517283386__5A6F25AD-1CFB-4D3F-90D4-57A40C924682.jpg
    70517283386__5A6F25AD-1CFB-4D3F-90D4-57A40C924682.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 70267033469__154998B1-E05A-4537-ABFE-A329D6E3593E (1).jpg
    70267033469__154998B1-E05A-4537-ABFE-A329D6E3593E (1).jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Happy New Year to all ! I'm looking at the Nordic 37 Tug in Geneva, NY. I need a Cummins shop to survey the engine. Any suggestions?

There is a Cummins shop in Horseheads, NY but no idea if they or one of their staff would consider a marine inspection. Can you ask owner where they had maint done?
I would also search Brewerton as there may be a marine shop there that services Cummins.

Welcome to the TF!

We really like the NT 37 but are having trouble finding one on the East Coast. There are many in the PNW. Can a NT 37 without a flybridge be transported by truck? If possible, any guesses on cost from the PNW to Long Island?

My former NT32 was transported by the new owner from San Diego to Chesapeake area. I think he paid around $10k. I would guess you would be looking at around $20k+ today for an NT37 if it can be trucked. They are nice boats but not sure I would be willing to go through the cost and considerable hassle to buy one on the wrong coast. It would have to be a very good price.

There was an Albin 35 for sale in Boston. I saw you loved your 31. I had a 28TE and it was a great boat. Doing the loop in that 35 would be awesome. As you know they are rugged boats. Economical but some speed if you need it. Not the same overall comfort as the NT 37 but for the cost savings you could spend a lot on hotels and still be far ahead in costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom