Old 06-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #1

City: Abilene
Vessel Name: Windy Gail
Vessel Model: Mainship Mediterranean 41
New and Dangerous! :)

Hi guys! My wife and I are about to be the hopefully proud owners of a 1989 Mainship Mediterranean 41 and I'm looking forward to hanging out and learning a lot here.
A little about myself, I'm a retired automotive tech and current gunsmith from Texas, so if you've got any automotive/gun questions I can probably help you out, but I've never owned a boat larger than my 21' Range fish-and-ski so I may not be off much use around here.

BoatPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Nordic tug 26

First post so weíll see how it goes I have a 1984 Nordic tug 26 sitting on a trailer in my driveway this is the latest of many boats that I have owned mostly all Taiwanese trawlers my dilemma with this boat is I spent a good chunk of my retirement savings on it and all my other boats I always customize them to fit my needs without worrying about resale this one is different I would like to do a few things however A little worried about affecting resale these boats do hold their value quite well . as an example the pilot house doors both both port and starboard are difficult to use due to their size I would like to remove them and replace them with windows , they are made out of teak and I donít like always having to refinish teak anyways there are several other projects that I was thinking of doing as well another example it has a air conditioning unit that I donít really need in the Pacific Northwest that would free up some cabinet space I could go on but I wonder what you guys think Specifically other Nordic tug 26 owners thanks Dan

Scooby5959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry I thought I was starting a new thread and I didn’t mean to hijack your thread can somebody please tell me how to start a new thread because I must be an idiot thanks
Old 06-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #4

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
Sorry I thought I was starting a new thread and I didnít mean to hijack your thread can somebody please tell me how to start a new thread because I must be an idiot thanks
You have to have a few comments on others posts before the admins will enable you to post new threads. Maybe 10? Others will know and chip in here.

Welcome!
~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh OK I guess I’ll have to be on my best behavior at least for a little while , suppress my true self so I’m able to post Ha ha ha thanks Dan
Old 06-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

City: Abilene
Vessel Name: Windy Gail
Vessel Model: Mainship Mediterranean 41
All good here. Good luck on your project!
BoatPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You can start a new thread as a new member. Where the issue arises is when a new memeber post links or email addresses as they get flagged by the Forumís software as being suspicious.

Scooby5959: Please, start a thread with your question.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I told you I was an idiot I didn’t under stand your response it says please start a new post with a question or something like that anyways is there something I can click on to start a new thread I appreciate the help
Old 06-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
I told you I was an idiot I didnít under stand your response it says please start a new post with a question or something like that anyways is there something I can click on to start a new thread I appreciate the help
Click on the above header 'Welcome Mat'.
There will be a button 'New Thread'. Click that.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard both youse guys.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you I will try that told you thanks again
Old 06-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatPoor View Post
Hi guys! My wife and I are about to be the hopefully proud owners of a 1989 Mainship Mediterranean 41 and I'm looking forward to hanging out and learning a lot here.
A little about myself, I'm a retired automotive tech and current gunsmith from Texas, so if you've got any automotive/gun questions I can probably help you out, but I've never owned a boat larger than my 21' Range fish-and-ski so I may not be off much use around here.
Boatpoor,

First, Welcome to the forum! We're not far behind you (or in front of you) as we are getting back into boating after a 19 year hiatus! Lots of skills from your auto tech will transfer to boat maintenance, and repair. The more you can do yourself, the more dollars you will have for cruising!

You don't say where the boat is based. You might want to to user CP (in the top left of your screen) scroll down to Setting and Options, then Edit Signature. You can put what type of boat you have, also your location, so people replying to your posts will have a better idea of where you are if the reply is location dependent. You can also edit your profile, and post a pic as an avatar which will show up on every post.

You've purchased a lot of boat! Now go out and enjoy her!
Old 06-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Welcome aboard. Just a potential caution, make sure you can get insurance. A lot of insurance companies will not insure a boat more than 10 or 15í larger than your largest boat. Hate to see you close on it and then be unable to insure it. Check before you close...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: John Wayne Marina, Sequim Bay
Vessel Name: Magic Carpet
Vessel Model: 1979 Universal Marine 45
Quote:
Sorry I thought I was starting a new thread and I didnít mean to hijack your thread can somebody please tell me how to start a new thread because I must be an idiot thanks
Click on 'Forum' at the top right of home and select the forum that most closely aligns with what you want to post, e.g. Boat Safety, General Maintenance. Go to that forum and at the top left you'll see a 'new thread' - click that and thread away!
squimmy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Hi Boatpoor and welcome. We are always glad to have a hands-on type around here to set us straight when we wander into topics we don't know anything about. I have been here quite a long time and have indeed wandered.... Long ago there a discussion of guns and their use aboard boats got started here, and brush fires erupted all over the place as various folks have strong pro and con opinions. It got so bad that ANY discussion of the g-word was banned for years. I was surprised recently when a member asked a legal question about on the topic, and a civil (mostly) discussion ensued and then trailed off without any shots fired. I could see you dealing with the situation via the private message (PM) feature here rather than public posts like this one as guns and their details are not strictly considered "boat/trawler" gear.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Hi BoatPoor! Welcome to the best [yet nuttiest] recreational life choice on the planet. The nutty part can be affixed to many separate reasons/circumstances for owning, and/or using, and/or living aboard a boat.

On TF you can use the search feature [upper right hand area of pages] to read a plethora of marine and boat related items.

Ask things in your posts... the answers will usually be multiply provided.

I'm gonna PM you a car question!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote