Old 06-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #1

City: Ypsilanti,MI.
New and curious

Hello everyone,
I don't have a boat yet but am very interested in the lifestyle. I have been on many friends smaller boats, and one friends (large to me) 45 foot motor yacht. I will be retiring in 4 and a half years and dream of cruising the western Caribbean. I have been doing as much research as I can about boats of all types over the last couple of years which lead me here . Realistically my problem is I don't know what I don't know, so hopefully by browsing these forums I can learn more.

srofai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard from up north a bit. First thing I would suggest is to take a safe boating course. Then look at a lot of boats...

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:43 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Welcome aboard from up north a bit. First thing I would suggest is to take a safe boating course. Then look at a lot of boats...
Yes, do that, and check out this thread here...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...tml#post892727
Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
And charter or rent or anything to get on the water.

Now, a note of the Western Caribbean. It's not like East coast cruising. You'll definitely need to take the conditions into consideration in your boat selection and in your training. I don't know if you intend to just cross to Cancun and then go down the coast or to visit the Cayman Islands and Jamaica as well or to cut through to the Eastern Caribbean.

Why the Western Caribbean specifically?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Many members of this forum recommend chartering or renting a boat. I don't agree. It is very expensive and time consuming. I don't necessarily have an option to offer but I always suggest "GET ON SOME BOATS."

Friends boats, boat shows, answer want ads. Hang around marinas, talk to boaters.

If a stranger walks up to me while I am working on my boat. If he is sober, polite, dressed like a boater, introduces himself and offers his hand and generally appears to be "in the market" I will gladly spend time with him. I often invite people aboard.

It might be risky, I know. But, Covid aside, to me, the risk is small. Come on, it's Northern Wisconsin!

A day spent at a marina or on a friends boat will teach you a TON.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Assuming the friend knows anything or isn't full of boating myths and bad habits.

While I agree in principle...the trick is when you don't know enough to know...selection of instructors is a wild guess.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Assuming the friend knows anything or isn't full of boating myths and bad habits.

While I agree in principle...the trick is when you don't know enough to know...selection of instructors is a wild guess.
Get on a boat at a hands on school then rather than a random stranger. Plus, need to experience a boat in use. I'll stick with the charter suggestion or rental and, yes, they are expensive. But finding out boating isn't for you after buying is more so.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And charter or rent or anything to get on the water.

Now, a note of the Western Caribbean. It's not like East coast cruising. You'll definitely need to take the conditions into consideration in your boat selection and in your training. I don't know if you intend to just cross to Cancun and then go down the coast or to visit the Cayman Islands and Jamaica as well or to cut through to the Eastern Caribbean.

Why the Western Caribbean specifically?
I plan to retire to Belize. But that's not set in stone, I am interested in a few countries in the Caribbean.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Many members of this forum recommend chartering or renting a boat. I don't agree. It is very expensive and time consuming. I don't necessarily have an option to offer but I always suggest "GET ON SOME BOATS."

Friends boats, boat shows, answer want ads. Hang around marinas, talk to boaters.

If a stranger walks up to me while I am working on my boat. If he is sober, polite, dressed like a boater, introduces himself and offers his hand and generally appears to be "in the market" I will gladly spend time with him. I often invite people aboard.

It might be risky, I know. But, Covid aside, to me, the risk is small. Come on, it's Northern Wisconsin!

A day spent at a marina or on a friends boat will teach you a TON.

pete

I know a little. I just want to absorb as much info as I can and figured these forums would be a good place to do that. Oh and for people that suggest I just get a boat and get out there now I would love to but I work 6 or 7 days a week and a lot of double shifts. Soooo I don't really want to invest in something I won't be able to use more than like a day or 2 a year for the next 4 years 6 months.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
Guru

Welcome aboard. You will learn just by subscribing and reading. As if by osmosis(another subject) you will absorb information. Some will be BS, some will be the golden truth,some inbetween, you`ll quickly distinguish.
Buying a boat is easy and quick, selling one is often not, you need to learn in order to choose carefully.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome and best of luck realizing your dreams!

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr./Ms. sr. Keep in mind that having or living on a boat in the Caribbean from June until November has it's own special risks (hurricane).