Old 11-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pasadena, MD
Vessel Name: Cleo's Barge
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
2002-2006 34' Mainship Cruising speed

Hi all,

Just enrolled in the forum and pleased to be here.

Am currently looking on Yachtworld at 34' Mainship flybridge trawlers- those with single 370HP Yanmar engine.

My question is what is the fast cruising speed of these boats? (Some of the ads show 13 knots; 1 showed up to 18 knots.)

I realize that this is a big boat of over 20,000 lbs.

I currently own a 27' Ranger tug with a 180HP Yanmar engine that I cruise at 14-15 knots. While I really would like a larger boat, I do not want to go slower cruising than this). (At my age, displacement speed is not an option).
trawlerdeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The Mainship 34T, a fly bridge trawler was introduced in 2005 and lasted until the end with an interior change circa 2010. I don't think that Mainship had any 34 flybridge trawler as early as 2002. Which Mainship are you asking about. I owned a 34T that I purchased in late 2005.

My 34T with the single Yanmar 370 would cruise at 12 kts and 2,800 rpm with full tanks, gear and two people on board. You might be able to push your cruise up to 3,000 rpm and that probably would get you to 13+ kts.

It has a listed dry weight of 20,000 lbs and a wide beam for its length.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Pasadena, MD
Vessel Name: Cleo's Barge
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
2002-2006 34' Mainship Flybridge Cruising Speed

Some days nothing goes right...........my first post to your site and I failed to proof read my post.
Hit the wrong key........supposed to post 32' { not 34'} Mainship Flybridge Trawler.

So sorry guys. Now, can anyone tell me the high end cruising speed of these boats {and the max. speed} ???
trawlerdeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
18 sounds like wide open throttle. One thing to keep in mind, and you will probably want to chat with owners, is that crusing around 13 knots may not be a happy place, depending on the specifics of the boat. For example, our Nordic Tug tops out at 15.5 knots wot. If we try to cruise slower, say around 12 knots, she is not really truly on plane, it is noisey, and fuel use is really high. Back down to 9 or less and she is in a very happy place. Some listing will say cruise at 12 or 13, but in our experience while the boat can technically do it, it really isn't designed for it. Later models with larger engines may be different. This is just our experience with our specific boat.

HP, weight and hull shape will all contribute, which is why you will want to seek out people with actual experience on the same boat you are considering.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawlerdeejay View Post
Some days nothing goes right...........my first post to your site and I failed to proof read my post.
Hit the wrong key........supposed to post 32' { not 34'} Mainship Flybridge Trawler.
Things seem to be continuing not right. I am pretty sure that Mainship never made a boat that was designated 32' and certainly not in the 2002-2006 period.

David
Old 11-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

I see that you posted a similar question on the Yahoo Mainship forum. Can you post a url of the boat that you see listed on Yachtworld that you are interested in so we can figure out which Mainship trawler you are talking about.

David
Old 11-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawlerdeejay View Post

So sorry guys. Now, can anyone tell me the high end cruising speed of these boats {and the max. speed} ???
t..dj...

I agree w david - one of our MS experts - not sure which MS you are looking at???
Attached are some files w/ info I've found re MS mfg.

Our '08 MS 34HT does 9 MPH at 1800 RPM w the same Yan 370 single engine
We hi cruise at 2800 RPM at around 14 MPH in smooth water
WOT gets us 20 MPH w 3/4 fuel & empty fresh water & 1-2 aboard.
I took dB readings at various RPM but don't have them home as they are aboard & under wraps for winter - not all that noisy IMHO

Ours is a hardtop so I'd expect the fly bridge modsel to be similar but slightly slower. We are getting much more comfortable with slowing down and enjoying the trawler life - but do like the ability to get & go when necessary

Let us know more about the boat you are looking at - maybe we can help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mainship Mfg 2007.pdf (765.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Mainship History 34 Sedan Trawler & Others.pdf (294.7 KB, 32 views)
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote