New from Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
Chaparral 330
Just joined TF. Boating for many years. Currently own a Chaparral 330 on Lake Michigan.
Plan to retire next year and cruise around Lake Michigan initially and then explore the other Great Lakes. After 30+ years of bouncing around my wife recently shared it's not as much fun anymore to hang on as she does. Looking at trawler boats for our next boat. Drawn to the Swift 41. Anyone have any experience with Beneteau trawlers and/or the Swift 41.
Good to meet everyone.

Welcome to the 'funny farm.'
Dig around the forums and you will find folks commenting on the Swift 41 and the Beneteau trawlers.
What you should stress is customer support. If you cant get builder support, wrong brand of boat, in my feeble opinion.
Consider also the American Tug and Norhavn.
LOL You picked one hell of a time to look for a boat, dead of winter. The water is getting thick.

Time for your ice boat and ice fishing shanty. LOL
Stay warm.

Last edited:
Welcome. This time of the year I would expect talking about the ice boats on Michigan.

OP,

I had boats on Lake Michigan for many years. One an old Chris Craft 33 Cavalier, one a Regal 3260, similar style to yours, and one a 41 ft Cheer Men trawler.

I think you're smart to consider the "swift trawler" style of boat. Lake Michigan, in my opinion, is too choppy and variable for the 41 ft classic trawler I had. On the other hand, I hear what your wife is saying about "bouncing around."

I owned a "swift trawler" style until this past July. She was a Mainship 34 Pilot. I liked that she could slow cruise economically about 9 kts, and fast cruise around 16-17 knots. At either speed, she was much more stable and "liveable" than the trawlers or cruisers I had on Lake Michigan.

The Swift 41 has a great layout both in the main cabin and on the fly-bridge. As you mention, great economy at slow speeds yet can get up and go if you need to. Good room aboard and moving around the side. Love the side door feature, My climbing through he center is getting to be a pain.

Looking forward to getting out to see this boat first hand. Anyone have any experience going to Trawler-fest - worth visiting?

welcome

Nice thing about retirement is time .Last summer waited in Petosky for 12 days for the lake to lay down.

Welcome. This time of the year I would expect talking about the ice boats on Michigan.

Ah yes, ice boating. I had 2 winters' experience. 60+mph, freezing your ass off, your nose turning blue from the wind chill and no brakes. I had enough ice boating experience to say "Enough". This was before synthetic well insulating clothes and mittens and boots.
Always fun to look to the side and watching that runner drop through the ice. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom