Old 11-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Helsinki
Vessel Name: Manaatti
Vessel Model: Nauticat 44 2006
Hi from Finland

Great to be here. I have followed your Forum for years and now was the right time to join you. We are looking for a bit larger trawler type boat. Could be NT, AT, Benetau Swift Trawler etc. someting with moderate to low draft.

I have been boating in the Baltic Sea for ages. Mainly in the outer Archipelago natural park. Our trips range from weekends to several weeks. Typically we stay in unhabited island, often several days in a row before moving to next island. Try to attach a photo of one favorite place. Might do some fishing, hiking, scubadiving, or just enjoy good coffee and scenery. There are just thousands of amazing islands. To be precise, about 40 000 if we include the small ones. That’s where my soul is at home.

Some nice features of the Baltic Sea: practically no tide and no strong currents. You can plan your trips so that you can get in a sheltered area easily in hour or two. In the Archipelago there are plenty of rocks and shallow areas. Makes navigation interesting. Especially if it gets foggy or dark, but I enjoy every second. Don’t know anything better than listening to the wind and rain (or snowing in late autumn) in a remote sheltered bay and drinking champagne with candle light!

I have to admit that part of my heart is in PNW, I just love the Puget Sound all the way to Victoria and would love to go to Alaska via the inside passage. The scenery with mountains in the background is awesome.

So, great to be here!
Attached Thumbnails
712BA7F7-4320-4304-B82A-47F072BE6EB2.jpg  
Happy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Nice protected mooring.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Welcome.

Congrats on Euro 2020!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #4

City: New York
Welcome...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

City: Detroit
Welcome!!!

Nice looking picture. I would have to imagine that your fishing is very good in the areas you are traveling to. I hear Finland is a wonderful country and I hope to visit it someday. Thank you for the slew of great hockey players you have sent our way, and also for the great medical system that treated my brother in law for a serious cancer (successfully I might add). He was working for Nokia and living in Finland at the time he was diagnosed. His treatment was first class. Anyway, welcome aboard. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #6

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Frog View Post
I have been boating in the Baltic Sea for ages. Mainly in the outer Archipelago natural park. Our trips range from weekends to several weeks. Typically we stay in unhabited island, often several days in a row before moving to next island. Try to attach a photo of one favorite place. Might do some fishing, hiking, scubadiving, or just enjoy good coffee and scenery. There are just thousands of amazing islands. To be precise, about 40 000 if we include the small ones. That’s where my soul is at home.

Some nice features of the Baltic Sea: practically no tide and no strong currents. You can plan your trips so that you can get in a sheltered area easily in hour or two. In the Archipelago there are plenty of rocks and shallow areas. Makes navigation interesting. Especially if it gets foggy or dark, but I enjoy every second. Don’t know anything better than listening to the wind and rain (or snowing in late autumn) in a remote sheltered bay and drinking champagne with candle light!

I have to admit that part of my heart is in PNW, I just love the Puget Sound all the way to Victoria and would love to go to Alaska via the inside passage. The scenery with mountains in the background is awesome.

So, great to be here!
Welcome!

I must admit I had to look at your post, and that photo, twice to be sure I was seeing it correctly. Coming from a part of the world where an 8 (or more) foot tide is the norm, hearing of such moderate ones in what I thought was a large sea was odd. I read up on the Baltic, and everthing says its because the sea isn't large enough to have its own major tide, and its inlet is too small to allow much of the North Sea tide in. Crazy. It would probably be about the same shock for me to go to our Great Lakes where, for the most part, the daily water level doesn't change.

Puget Sound where I live has a lot of freshwater feeding it, like the Baltic Sea. How does that influence the marine life there? We have a lot, but we also have a huge tidal exchange and I wonder if that somehow helps.

It would be very cool to be able to tie up in rocks like you can; I just can't see many places around here to do that! Please share more of your experiences; you may think its old hat, but many of us have never been there and likely never will on our own bottoms.

Again, welcome!
Old 11-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Welcome to the forum, your picture looks a lot like many places in Georgian Bay and the North Channel in the Great Lakes region in Canada. We have no tide as well. Enjoy the forum and your time on the water.
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great to hear that your brother in law is doing well ! - we seem to have extremely good medical care in the country. Did he manage to go boating in the Archipelago Natural Park?

Hope you can make it someday! This picture btw is taken below the boat in that position!
Attached Thumbnails
Dive Lovaskär.jpg  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanx!
Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Attachment 96707Thanks! Some additional photos of my favorite islands. Baltic sea is composed on several "pools" and there are several processes that affect it's very sensitive eco-system, such as agricultural emissions.

Most powerful is the sporadic but sparce Atlantic salt pulse through the straits between Denmark and Sweden, which brings oxygen to Baltic sea. The salinity changes as you go closer to headwaters from 1.5 % to almost 0 % where the rivers are bringing fresh water into the sea. Very good for swimming in the summer. However, most areas around Finland get frozen in winter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-2163.jpg   IMG-2241.jpg