New to boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obsidian

Just saying hello
I’m new to boating. I’m here to pick everyone’s brain for any info I can get. Being thinking about buying a trawler for about four years. I thought I will listen, ask questions and learn as much as possible about boating before I make the plunge. I’m a complete novice, I just can’t get the notion of wanting to be on the water out of my head. So, firstly thank you all for all the help I will be asking for and know it’s very well appreciated. Secondly, I hope to make some contacts on here so when I am ready to buy I will have people I know to celebrate my first boat with. Again thanks in advance for all the help.

Gary
Welcome aboard TF.
For everyone looking / dreaming of getting into boating if any kind I usually recommend they seek out a nearby chaper of America's Boating Club (formally US Power Squadrons) or a USCG Aux. They both offer a good selection of basic & advanced boating courses. They are a great way to not only begin the learning process but also to develop a network of like minded and experienced folks to assist. Many ABC chapters are now offering on- the - water portions of their courses.

Welcome aboard. Tell us a little more about yourself. Family, age and plans. Also where you are located and where you hope to boat.

pete

I agree with Bacchus to sign up for some boating courses with the CG auxiliary or Power Squadron. Not sure where you're located but in some areas there are boating clubs where you can get hands on training and experience then have access to charter boats. Its worth trying some chartering, starting with a training skipper, to see how you like it.

Boating provides a sort of freedom not available elsewhere but for someone who's never boated it can seem a bit overwhelming at first. However like most things its a matter of training and experience. I recommend running small boats first, you learn a LOT about how boats behave with small boats. I'm not saying that running a 15' boat qualifies you to run a 50' boat, only that the 15' boat can teach you how a boat behaves, how they interact with waves and wind.

Yeah, welcome aboard!

Welcome, I agree that any boating experience between now and then will help, in both running a boat and getting a feel for the maintenance and expenses.

If there is a community of boating in your area with a similar sized vessels find, politely pursue making yourself available as crew, company and even a hand at maintenance. In my experience, contrary to common myths, boat owners are not inundated by pushy relatives and friends to take them out boating (maybe I am just intolerable and the exception). It is not uncommon for owners who would like to use their boat more but hesitant to go out alone. I wouldn't recommend walking the docks looking for a ride but look into local forums, fishing boards or even the local sailboat racing community to get some experience.

Many old farts who own trawlers simply enjoy having someone to talk about boats with, (as evidenced by this forum) especially talking about their own boat, trials and tribulations included. Increasing your exposure will greatly improve your experience when you buy a boat or you may learn it isn't for you after all.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Gary
Welcome aboard TF.
For everyone looking / dreaming of getting into boating if any kind I usually recommend they seek out a nearby chaper of America's Boating Club (formally US Power Squadrons) or a USCG Aux. They both offer a good selection of basic & advanced boating courses. They are a great way to not only begin the learning process but also to develop a network of like minded and experienced folks to assist. Many ABC chapters are now offering on- the - water portions of their courses.

What he said:iagree:

Plus I would join a yacht club. These clubs have members with all kinds of experience that can help guide and teach you.

I will say one thing. Owning a boat is like owning a house. It is very helpful if your good with your hands!

Welcome.

One thing not mentioned above is that getting insurance for anything trawler-sized will be impossible with no experience on the water unless you hire a licensed captain to run the boat for you. Without insurance, you can't get a boat loan and can't keep your boat at a marina.

So, some course work and some charters with captain will be essential before you think about buying a boat. It will also help shed light on the many choices that buying a boat requires.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom