New boat owner / old sailor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hizpan69

Vessel Name
Gypsy Soul
Vessel Make
52 Jefferson Marquessa
Hello everyone, Jose and Jen here and wanted to introduce ourselves and our Gypsy Soul. Living in the St. Pete Municipal marina in out 52' Jefferson Marquesa. Would love any input as to our Jefferson from old and current Jefferson owners and even subject matter experts as to what to look out for. We are currently overhauling the starboard engine, detected a strong fuel smell in the captains quarters, looking to remodel the galley, trying to get information on our power output (we have a 30/50) and trying to see if we can pigtail or get an adapter to just pull from the 50 Amp for our needs, and the list goes on. Just taking it one project at a time. Would love feedback, contractor contacts that are credible, renovation ideas, any info on nearby Marinas, etc. Really appreciate your attention and assistance.

Welcome to the forum!

I would find the fuel smell first. If it's a leak, that needs to be addressed before you accidentally pump fuel over the side.

Ted

Welcome.

Old sailer here as well...

Great group here and you will learn (share?) many things.

Fuel checked and no visible leaks. Neighbors saying it may be permeating through the hoses. Next decision...changing out the hoses

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Even if you don't see leaks the tops of the tanks could rusted through just venting into wherever they are located.

I had a tank that I couldn't see any leaks but there were holes around the filler neck.

Welcome to the Forum. I had a cracked vent hose on an older boat that fooled me into thinking it was a tank leaking until I got lucky and felt the hose.

Hi Jose & Jen:

Welcome aboard!

If you are familiar with our Florida waters, you know you need to get the bottom cleaned by a diver every month once the water temp gets to 70 degrees (Fahrenheit).

We used Gulf and Bay Divers for several years, they do a great job, are reasonable, and their phone number is 727-252-9915.

As far as your fuel leak (diesel, I assume, with a 52' Jefferson) you should call our dockside mechanic, Casey Carr at 727-482-0279.

If Casey can't help you, he will know someone who can. Super nice fellow, and as honest as the day is long.

Marinas... if you inherited a slip at St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, consider yourselves fortunate. There is a long waiting list for slips there, largely because of the shops, restaurants, medical facilities and grocery within walking/biking distance.

For provisions, Publix grocery is at 250 3rd Street South. They also have an awesome deli and bakery.

If you need a different marina, the best thing you can do is visit several marinas in person to see if you can snag a slip. (Calling is usually not the way to get anything other than a transient slip; they want to size you up.)

There are many marinas up and down Tampa Bay and the west coast. Most don't offer covered slips like the Municipal Marina, which is almost essential for liveaboards in the summer here. Boat life is much cooler under a roof.

Feel free to DM (Direct Message) me any time, and Congratulations :dance: on your new-to-you Jefferson!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Thank you Charlie. I'll check it out this weekend

Let's hope I get lucky Salty. Thank you

Thank you so much for the advice. Already have the diver scheduled, will keep an eye out for those marinas and may give Casey a call. Have a great day

Morning and thank you Mrs Trombley. I have reached out to Casey.

Hi there,
Old sailor now gone to the 'dark side' as well.
We have a Jefferson 37 Sundeck, purchased in New Jersey late 2015 and brought it back to Michigan in '16. Big difference between your 52 and my 37. We have twin Cummins 250 hp. Great engines.
There are a few Jefferson owners lurking about on the site. Do a search for 'Jefferson'
There is also a Jefferson owners group, with not a lot of chatter on the Yachtforums.com
There was a small owners group on the Kentuckiana Yacht Services site, which is now Marlago

Jose
Welcome aboard TF
I agree that tracking down the fuel smell should be a high priority.
Not familiar with your vessel but assuming at that size you are diesel?
Best to do a systematic investigation... verifying vent is intact and functioning... (blockage at thru hull not uncommon), loose clamps? thorough tank inspection, fill lines, etc.
You mention an engine rebuild, was the smell present before starting? Could it be related to that work?

Some additional info re your power question would be helpful and a good idea to pose the question in the electrical systems section as many of the real experts participate more there than in the welcome section. Can you elaborate on what you mean by a 30/50? Is that an adapter you are using? What boat side inlet connection? Also helpful to know what power options are available at your dock that you are trying to connect to.

Thank you Len. Appreciate the info. Will follow up

Welcome Jose, Jen and Gypsy Soul!

Another on the list of old sailors,,, congrats on your move and list of new projects!

You will find the wealth of experience and support here substancial.

Find that leak!

odor issues

In the past I have read about fugitive odor issues. The most plausible response I have read referred to odors emanating from water that is trapped between the hull layers of fiberglass. The only way to detect is to drydock the boat and have an experienced surveyor bang on the bottom with a hard plastic hammer. When the sound changes to a thud, you may find the problem ... and the water stinks to high heaven.

In the past I have read about fugitive odor issues. The most plausible response I have read referred to odors emanating from water that is trapped between the hull layers of fiberglass. The only way to detect is to drydock the boat and have an experienced surveyor bang on the bottom with a hard plastic hammer. When the sound changes to a thud, you may find the problem ... and the water stinks to high heaven.

Morning Isabella,
thank you for the insight. I hope this isn't the case but will check during drydock.

Back
Top Bottom