New Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koinonia

Vessel Name
Gypsy Soul
Vessel Make
Grand Banks
Hey Everyone,
Koinonia here, I am coming over to the dark side, now the light side. Had a 42' Hunter 420 and sold it. I am now looking at a 1982 Grand Banks 36. Needs some work from what I can see. Engine has been completely rebuilt and there are many upgrades. I'm not worried about what I can see, but what do I need to look for in the areas that I can't see? If my offer is accepted, the boat will be surveyed in the next week or so, but I am asking for help. I know boats (sailboats) but not trawlers. Any help you can give me would be great.

Thanks
Koinonia

Welcome aboard, and good luck with the survey!:thumb:

Welcome to the forum. You're just up the coast from me. Home the survey goes well.

Ted

SW Florida is ideal cruising grounds for a GB 36. Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your survey.

Welcome Neil. Go down the board to "Trawler Builders Forums", select "Grand Banks". You`ll find plenty of discussions about the GB 36. I`m thinking rusted fuel tanks,tired and or soft teak decks, water leaks to the cabin, hull osmosis, issues common to many makes. The mechanical side is often less costly to fix. Hopefully the GB experts will respond.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. The offer has been accepted so it is now off for the survey. Will keep you posted.
Koinonia

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for trawler info. Best of luck with the survey.

As one who recently (2 months ago) made the same transition you are, things become familiar quickly. Since you already know boating, it's a matter of learning the systems and handling of your new boat. Have fun.

As you can see, a lot can be done with a GB 36, as is the case here with the legendary Marin's GB 36 Wannabe Sportfisher!:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• grandbanks36 wannabe sport fish copy.jpg
    grandbanks36 wannabe sport fish copy.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 69
Hey Everyone,
Koinonia here, I am coming over to the dark side, now the light side. Had a 42' Hunter 420 and sold it. I am now looking at a 1982 Grand Banks 36. Needs some work from what I can see. Engine has been completely rebuilt and there are many upgrades. I'm not worried about what I can see, but what do I need to look for in the areas that I can't see? If my offer is accepted, the boat will be surveyed in the next week or so, but I am asking for help. I know boats (sailboats) but not trawlers. Any help you can give me would be great.

Thanks
Koinonia

I didn't have an engine survey, and here's the stuff I wish had been looked at before I bought by 1984 trawler:

-Exhaust elbows. One was ready to die and the other was aluminum. A blown up elbow can be messy and potentially expensive.
- Heat exchangers. I lost a transmission HX soon after I bought the boat which turned into a rebuilt transmission.
- Fuel tanks. Many old boats have crap in the tanks. Sometimes they are rusted due to leaks in the deck etc. The crap can be polished out but if they are rusted or leaky that's a bad thing. Actually on this the surveyor pointed out that they had been replaced and were in great condition and I've not had a clogged filter or even close, but I've heard many stories of guys buying a boat only to need new filters every 10 hours.
- Deck fittings. Are all rails, stanchions and fittings properly bedded. Chances are something will leak, water will get in. I'll leave teak decks to someone else.

Don't scrimp on a good surveyor. Mine was good in many ways, but I see now he missed some obvious stuff, maybe because he was technically a hull surveyor and not mechanical. Even so, it doesn't take a mechanic to know what an aluminum exhaust elbow looks like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom