New aspiring boat-owner in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another way to look at it is buy the boat that will work for what you KNOW you will use it for, rather than what you HOPE you will use it for. After you have the experience, then you can make a more informed decision as to what boat to buy.[/QUOT]

Some years ago a good friend bought a new, extensively customized Selene 66 (72’ overall). Made 10 trips to China to work with the manufacturer. He wanted to do some serious cruising. He made a number of trips to Alaska as well as the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, etc. His ultimate plan was to go south, transit the Canal, do the Caribbean, and eventually do the loop.

He was talked out of the plan by his Admiral. Sold the boat. :facepalm:

Moral: be careful what you wish for; you might get it....

Some years ago a good friend bought a new, extensively customized Selene 66 (72’ overall). Made 10 trips to China to work with the manufacturer. He wanted to do some serious cruising. He made a number of trips to Alaska as well as the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, etc. His ultimate plan was to go south, transit the Canal, do the Caribbean, and eventually do the loop.

He was talked out of the plan by his Admiral. Sold the boat. :facepalm:

Moral: be careful what you wish for; you might get it....

Moral is perhaps to make sure it's the dream of both of you or have a plan that allows you both to pursue your dreams. My college choir director loved to say "He convinced against his will, remains unconvinced still." I've seen many who felt they had talked their partner "into it" but they really were not listening. Now, the OP doesn't seem to have that issue but one still must listen to their own inner voice. Making the decision jointly should reduce the probability of error dramatically. At various points, if in doubt, don't. You see a boat that you think "might work", it's not the boat to buy. The one to get is the one you feel absolutely is right for you. We often try to force something that just won't work.

I look at the current Columbia River Cruisers from TF and they're so lucky that they are spouses who share the pleasure. I'm very lucky that my wife fell in love with boating and shares my passion for it. Had that not happened, we'd not be boating like we do, but would have found something else we mutually loved doing.

Loving all the feedback!

This is NachoMan’s other half. I’m loving all the valuable feedback that we’re getting, and thought it was time to join the forums.

Our journey thus far has been amazing, and we made sure to spend a good many years enjoying life as just the two of us, and living a semi-nomadic life before having little Ace. When nachoman posts about any goals, key thoughts, or concerns, one could be fairly sure that we have had many conversations about them before he posts anything about it. :) Which is why I figured I might as well join to say hello!

Now, with a toddler (Ace) in the mix, and both of us being passionate about living on (or as close as possible to the ocean) we are definitely at the point of having a boat as our home base. I am über excited to read what everyone has to say, and appreciate all your amazing feedback thus far.

I will post some questions soon, but wanted to append to NachoMan’s initial introduction to state: Hello! Bom Dia! Aloha! Ciao! Bonjour!

Welcome to the Forum NachoMan. While I don’t have live-aboard experience I do have lots of boating experience, both sail and power. If you are planning on living aboard, power is going to be roomier for the same length of boat for sure.
I find with power you can get more light into the main living area, as there are typically larger windows.
I have a President 41 that has just been listed. Just over 30 years old but several people have said they would love to live aboard this boat. Think about what your needs are with a family and go for as large as you can manage. An older boat will not break the bank, and one that has been looked after can be very accommodating.
If you want you can check out the listing on Calibre Yachts, she is called Seas the Moment.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom