Never trawled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilligansdeckhand

Veteran Member
Hey everyone. My name is David and I’m not only new to this forum but I’m new to trawling. I don’t even own a boat but have had a pontoon before. I know it isn’t anything like what I’m interested in but I’m not afraid to do things I’ve never done and anytime someone has told me I can’t do something it encourages me to try. I will be asking a lot of questions to prepare myself for when I decide to drift at sea. To begin with, what is it called when someone lives in a boat and cruises the coasts throughout the world. I intend to start small and maybe try the Great Loop and then a loop south to the Panama Canal and then north to Alaska. I’ve read that after completing those loops I might be ready to sail an ocean. Given that, how large of a vessel would be the minimum length. I am poor and would be cruising as cheap as possible. I am not physically able to do this in a sailboat but understand I might need at least one sail incase my engine fails and it’s something I can’t fix. I’m not easily offended so don’t worry yourselves about being candid with me. I’m just going to be gathering as much information as I can for the next 3 years when I hope to be able to start my next chapter.

Welcome aboard. To cross oceans requires a very substantial boat. That is one of the reasons many of us stick to coastal cruising. Personally, I have no desire to cross oceans but want to see more of our coastal areas here including the Great Lakes. Maybe take a look at a TrawlerFest. They have a lot of good info for beginners and seasoned boaters both.

I was only thinking that I might want to see New Zealand and Australia. I was in the Marines so I thought Okinawa to see what it’s like now. But I wouldn’t be able to afford a yacht so I’m listening to you. Do you also cruise South America

No, I have no desire to go to SA. Too many problems there that I just don’t want to deal with. America and Canada have so much to offer that I will spend the rest of my life and not see it all.

All boating is a series of compromises. Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to reach a compromise given the parameters you have outlined. Three items stick out most;
1) "I am poor and would cruise on the cheap"
2) "New to Trawling, but I had a pontoon boat"
3) "Coastal cruising, the loop, Panama Canal, Then to Alaska"

The boat you are searching for must be a Kady Krogan, Nordhavn, or other blue water ship. Probably a minimum of 40 feet. They go for around $400,000 and WAY up. You will need experience and a crew, and lots of fuel and docking fees.$$

Given the parameters you have outlined, your dream is not going to happen. Start smaller, maybe a 35 foot trawler that needs work. Do the coastal, inland lakes thing for a few years then re evaluate your budget, abilities and dreams.

Sorry, (but Welcome Aboard)

pete

I can sympathize with the lack of money issue, I'm not wealthy, I get by but I have to watch my spending. That said I've been working on my boat for almost three years. It's only 26 feet but it's just me and my dog so it fits fine. My goal has been a seaworthy boat that uses a minimum of fuel, is simple and easy to maintain and fits my personal preferences. I expect it to be finished in two or three months and so far I have about $15,000.00 into it. It has an entirely brand new drive system, new engine, transmission, shaft, coupling and propeller. I've also installed new fuel tanks, water tank and all new electrical system. This fall I'll be headed down the ICW to spend the winter in warmer weather (I'm in Maine now) and returning north in the spring. I expect to use between 100 and 150 gallons of fuel going south. The point of this little story is that you can do it without a pile of money but planning and a lot of DIY skills are a necessity. Don't be afraid to learn and don't be afraid to ask for advice and a bit of help. This site is a good source of advice and encouragement, just be aware that opinions vary and only you know what the desired result is that you intend.

I have options with a cruise like that. I have Family in eastern Canada and one of the questions I would eventually get to is if it’s possible to go from Maine to Alaska staying north.

I get that but I could get a boat that I could live on while working on it. Reading my post an addition to the 3 things that stuck out should have been that anytime I’m told I can’t do something makes motivates me to succeed. Wish I’d had that drive as a young man. I am driven to accomplish any given goal I’m set on. Yes I’ve had several hickies along the way but I learn from everything I do. I have been bouncing around the country the last 4+ years driving a jeep and dragging a roughrider teardrop trailer. No fridge or bathroom. I don’t need much to feel comfortable. I will continue to get information from others who live on the cheap. Thanks for the reply and the inspiration.

I’m having trouble following replies I make to everybody. I can’t tell from reading who my replies are meant for. When I finish responding I hit “Post Quick Reply”. Is that the right thing to do or do y’all not see who my replies are meant for.

Greetings,
Mr. G. "I’m having trouble following replies..." Hahahaha. Welcome to MY world, young man!

200.webp

Good Luck with your future marine experiences,but do take some
advise,learn as much as you can for your future endeavors from
all the Mariners you may encounter from this site and others.
Hopefully smooth cruising.:ermm:

I have options with a cruise like that. I have Family in eastern Canada and one of the questions I would eventually get to is if it’s possible to go from Maine to Alaska staying north.

I don’t think I would make that my first voyage .

I don't think anyone should discourage this new member. Capt John.org is a great resource for loop type minimalists. He is on his 3rd go around on a $3500(yes $3500) sailboat he bought in Saint Augustine Fl. Diesel powered,comfortable for him. His son and GF did the run on a C dory/OB powered.
Maybe not everyone's desire how to do the loop but certainly doable in comfort and safety.

The other part of your trip...not so much.

Welcome.
Doing the loop is not started 'small'
Your plans are very ambitious.
Hook up the the loopers and if nothing else, you can tag along without any long drawn out planning other than fuel stops and stop to replenish your stores.
Be prepared for some break downs. What spare parts to take other than fuel filters, only someone with the same engines can make recommendation.

You are planning 3 years ahead. Good. You have time to take classes and practice.

Yes, it's possible. It is called the Northwest Passage. Support as in fuel, fresh water and previsions are sparse and very far apart. The way is not well charted. And there is the very real possibility of not making it through in one season which means spending the winter iced in. I'd start with Google Earth and see what lies between St John Newfoundland and Prudhoe Bay Ak. That exercise won't tell you anything about the route. It will demonstrate how barren the area is. Even getting north to St John then south from Prudhoe are not trivial once you've completed the Northwest Passage.

Born to Trawl.

I’m having trouble following replies I make to everybody. I can’t tell from reading who my replies are meant for. When I finish responding I hit “Post Quick Reply”. Is that the right thing to do or do y’all not see who my replies are meant for.

Try using the "quote" button instead when responding to someone's previous post. It will show the original post above, with your reply below (just like I did with your post).

I would echo others and add that being a strong DIYer will be key to cruising on a small budget. With yards rates between $80/hr and $120/hr simple maintenance can get very expensive. Major projects can easily exceed the purchase price of the vessel.

Since material costs are somewhat manage-able - using your own unskilled (or soon to be skilled) labor is important to staying on budget. You're basically trading your time for dollars.

Outside of simple projects hiring and managing shipwrights you need for larger, skilled projects directly can also save some significant money. As an example, I recently hired an independent contractor (a rigger) to replace the standing rigging on our boat as I did not have the skills, experience, tools or desire to climb masts during the PNW winter. I replaced all of the running rigging myself. Total cost for the project was less than half my planned budget an my surveyor's best guess.

Finally, welcome to the forum and all best for your plans.

I've spent my entire life boating and I love it. However, anytime someone says they want to cross an ocean on their own boat I suggest they go to the windward side of the Hawaiian islands, look at the waves, multiply by 2500 miles, and ask yourself honestly if you want to do that..I love boats but would rather look at the open ocean from 30,000 feet!

Pete, what I’m hoping to attain from this forum is information. I have gathered information before registering with the website. Most of the information I’m after is mainly is what I will need to have onboard for maintenance, exterior maintenance, what I will need for myself to condition from the continuous salt air, paperwork for ports in other countries, etc. I discussed boat size and type with an individual while in Coos Bay Oregon. I could manage fine with a shrimp boat at $30k. I’m not an upper crust kinda person. Not even close and am more comfortable where I’m at in life. I’m going to look up the boats you mentioned. Thanks.

Try using the "quote" button instead when responding to someone's previous post. It will show the original post above, with your reply below (just like I did with your post).

I would echo others and add that being a strong DIYer will be key to cruising on a small budget. With yards rates between $80/hr and $120/hr simple maintenance can get very expensive. Major projects can easily exceed the purchase price of the vessel.

Since material costs are somewhat manage-able - using your own unskilled (or soon to be skilled) labor is important to staying on budget. You're basically trading your time for dollars.

Outside of simple projects hiring and managing shipwrights you need for larger, skilled projects directly can also save some significant money. As an example, I recently hired an independent contractor (a rigger) to replace the standing rigging on our boat as I did not have the skills, experience, tools or desire to climb masts during the PNW winter. I replaced all of the running rigging myself. Total cost for the project was less than half my planned budget an my surveyor's best guess.

Finally, welcome to the forum and all best for your plans.

Thanks for the tips.

RT Firefly

I got a tip to quote the comment which is pretty handy except I’m wondering if it will make scrolling too time consuming. I put your username on the top of this reply to see how it works. ?

I've spent my entire life boating and I love it. However, anytime someone says they want to cross an ocean on their own boat I suggest they go to the windward side of the Hawaiian islands, look at the waves, multiply by 2500 miles, and ask yourself honestly if you want to do that..I love boats but would rather look at the open ocean from 30,000 feet!
That’s good information about the swells. I’ve been told a 35’ would be ok but am skeptical.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom