Never trawled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dan - I delivered several N46s. Two things. First, all my delivery contracts stipulated a dry boat. No drinking no alcohol whatsoever. I'm no teetotaler - as I write, I'm sitting in a brew pub. Served me well.

Second, the best berth on any boat in a headsea is on the floor in the salon. If grab a cushion off the settee and sleep on my belly with arms and legs splayed to give stability. Wasn't great, but I managed a decent sleep most of the time.

For the OP, delivery captains often go the wrong direction against weather. That's behind me by 15+ years.

LOL I understand what you say. I finished off my USN career on a destroyer about my age, at the time. I had, by choice, a top berth.
Even to this date, once asleep, nothing can wake me until about 4am. Maybe I will die in my sleep. I will know this for sure when I miss my 4am head call. LOL

Older and more mature ?

Dan - I delivered several N46s. Two things. First, all my delivery contracts stipulated a dry boat. No drinking no alcohol whatsoever. I'm no teetotaler - as I write, I'm sitting in a brew pub. Served me well.

Second, the best berth on any boat in a headsea is on the floor in the salon. If grab a cushion off the settee and sleep on my belly with arms and legs splayed to give stability. Wasn't great, but I managed a decent sleep most of the time.

For the OP, delivery captains often go the wrong direction against weather. That's behind me by 15+ years.

I almost never drink and I never bring alcohol with me in my jeep and trailer. That won’t be a problem. One of the things I hope to get an idea for is navigating storms. Common sense tells me directly into it if I can’t avoid it. I’m sure common sense might get me in some trouble along the way.

LOL I understand what you say. I finished off my USN career on a destroyer about my age, at the time. I had, by choice, a top berth.
Even to this date, once asleep, nothing can wake me until about 4am. Maybe I will die in my sleep. I will know this for sure when I miss my 4am head call. LOL
To this day I can grab a 10-min nap anywhere, anytime. I mostly ran boats short handed - 4-5 days with myself and one other person. I was awakened way too often. I was much younger then.

To the OP - get a boat. Any boat. And just get out and do something. I used to live on my boat in a marina next to the best anchorage in San Francisco Bay - Naval Station Treasure Island in Clipper Cove. We often puttered 400 yards out into the anchorage for the weekend. Distance was close but mentally, a great distance away.

Just find something that has an anchor, a head, a bunk, and basic cooking facilities.

Wifey B: Well, if you hook up with Gilligan, then all this other stuff will quickly become totally irrelevant as you'll be stuck on an island. The good part is food seems plentiful and you have Ginger and Mary Ann but sorry to tell you, I think they're faking any interest in guys and really getting it on with each other only. :D

Capt John and Janice were good suggestions.

When you read, you being with ABC, when you sing you begin with Do, Re, Mi. :) Read that carefully, as there's a lot of wisdom to be learned from a simple song. :)

You need to slow down, back up, put yourself on pause and chill. Think of what you want your first boating experiences to be. You mentioned relatives in places you'd go. Think only of the boat needed for your first year or two of boating. Don't think more. You aren't there yet. You're going to overheat your brain and have it short out on you. :eek:

I got started with hubby on a lake in NC. We had a bowrider and we could go the length of the lake in less than an hour, but we'd spend days on the water, enjoying it, seeing every inch, all the other boats, just having fun. I never imagined what we're doing now. I did one time go on a Sea Ray down the TN River and loved it and thought that might be a nice place to retire. Never did I imagine the boats we have now, didn't imagine cruising in Alaska or down through the Panama Canal or in the Caribbean or Bahamas or up and around to Montreal or doing the Great Loop. It happens. It grows on you, but don't try to short cut or force it. Enjoy the beginning first. Focus on the early years. Then it won't matter how far it goes, you'll be enjoying it.

First thing I'd do if I was you, this summer I'd go find a way to get on the water. Go with friends or relatives or rent or charter a boat, even if just renting a pontoon. Get out there and start the process. Slowly, in the midst and nebulous cloud you're currently floating around in, some kind of picture will develop and it will be beautiful. :)

Americas Great Loop Cruising Association, AGLCA for short will give you more information to put your plans together.

As far as heading up the Mississippi,probably not your best plan. A cheap trawler might not even be able to buck the current. Also I'm not crazy about the idea of messing around the Gulf for a couple years. Spending one Hurricane season on the gulf will probably convince you. Go hang out on the East Coast where hiding places are more numerous. Also for a learner, the Great Lakes will teach you a lot.

If you are a vagabond, go where the boating is good, you don't need an ocean to learn

pete

Pete everything you said is so very important it bares repeating.... The name of the loopers' organization, wrong way on the Mississippi but, the part about hurricanes on the west coast... hmmmm, not so sure so long as you are not near Mississippi, north FL and Alabama. I am on the east coast of FL and we do have our scary moments too.

Because you don't seem inspired enough ([emoji1]) read the first part of George Buehler's "The Troller Yacht", and "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum.

If you really want to do it on a budget. Forget this forum and get on a sailing forum. Plenty of dodgy craft on the high seas.

Same page

Wifey B: Well, if you hook up with Gilligan, then all this other stuff will quickly become totally irrelevant as you'll be stuck on an island. The good part is food seems plentiful and you have Ginger and Mary Ann but sorry to tell you, I think they're faking any interest in guys and really getting it on with each other only. :D

Capt John and Janice were good suggestions.

When you read, you being with ABC, when you sing you begin with Do, Re, Mi. :) Read that carefully, as there's a lot of wisdom to be learned from a simple song. :)

You need to slow down, back up, put yourself on pause and chill. Think of what you want your first boating experiences to be. You mentioned relatives in places you'd go. Think only of the boat needed for your first year or two of boating. Don't think more. You aren't there yet. You're going to overheat your brain and have it short out on you. :eek:

I got started with hubby on a lake in NC. We had a bowrider and we could go the length of the lake in less than an hour, but we'd spend days on the water, enjoying it, seeing every inch, all the other boats, just having fun. I never imagined what we're doing now. I did one time go on a Sea Ray down the TN River and loved it and thought that might be a nice place to retire. Never did I imagine the boats we have now, didn't imagine cruising in Alaska or down through the Panama Canal or in the Caribbean or Bahamas or up and around to Montreal or doing the Great Loop. It happens. It grows on you, but don't try to short cut or force it. Enjoy the beginning first. Focus on the early years. Then it won't matter how far it goes, you'll be enjoying it.

First thing I'd do if I was you, this summer I'd go find a way to get on the water. Go with friends or relatives or rent or charter a boat, even if just renting a pontoon. Get out there and start the process. Slowly, in the midst and nebulous cloud you're currently floating around in, some kind of picture will develop and it will be beautiful. :)

Loved your post. You’re witty ?. Funny thing is, no pun intended, I have been feeling that I am going to take the information I’ve been given and do some research. I was just about to thank everybody for trheir advice and sign off while I continue to look into things using this new information I have. I have been on the water but mainly in lakes and rivers. I have a friend in palm beach that has said he will take me out for a weekend. He was also a guide for deep sea fishing charters. He has a boat. Thanks.

Yep

Because you don't seem inspired enough ([emoji1]) read the first part of George Buehler's "The Troller Yacht", and "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum.

If you really want to do it on a budget. Forget this forum and get on a sailing forum. Plenty of dodgy craft on the high seas.

You are dead on. I’ll find a sailing forum. Maybe you can recommend one.

Ditto

Pete everything you said is so very important it bares repeating.... The name of the loopers' organization, wrong way on the Mississippi but, the part about hurricanes on the west coast... hmmmm, not so sure so long as you are not near Mississippi, north FL and Alabama. I am on the east coast of FL and we do have our scary moments too.

Pete’s post was an eye opener for sure. I have been googling looper clubs and I will tag along with one when I take the plunge and very helpful about the wrong way on the Mississippi River as well as hanging out in the Great Lakes area and northeast coast as well. I am grateful for your advice as well as all the others, minus one, I’ll call him the 10%.

✌️

To this day I can grab a 10-min nap anywhere, anytime. I mostly ran boats short handed - 4-5 days with myself and one other person. I was awakened way too often. I was much younger then.

To the OP - get a boat. Any boat. And just get out and do something. I used to live on my boat in a marina next to the best anchorage in San Francisco Bay - Naval Station Treasure Island in Clipper Cove. We often puttered 400 yards out into the anchorage for the weekend. Distance was close but mentally, a great distance away.

Just find something that has an anchor, a head, a bunk, and basic cooking facilities.

That has been my take on most replies. 3 years from now I’ll be all over it.

Greetings,
Mr. G. The 10% says be careful out there.

200.webp

Time to apply information

I am normally a candid person and can sometimes appear rude. After re-reading a few of my replies I can see where I could have ruffled some feathers. I don’t mean for my abrupt nature to be a personal attack. After years as a supervisor and then cnc machine programmer sometimes you don’t have time to be cordial. I’m loosening up tho.
I have been taking bits of most posts, copying them and texting them to myself to look up for the next undetermined amount of time, which I have plenty of.
I am truly grateful for your replies as they have been enlightening. Especially my loop and calm water experience intent which I have decided to take Pete Meisinger advice on. I will check back in from time to time to see if anybody has answers for other questions I asked that don’t pertain to an adequate boat.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
You mean it's not my turn to be a 10%er?
Bummer. SMIRK Guess I will just have to try harder. WINK
We all screw up at least once in life.
Words often cannot reflect our feelings and our intent.
I am not a train author but I do like starting with, "It was a dark and stormy night....."

Last edited:
You mean it's not my turn to be a 10%?
Bummer. SMIRK Guess I will just have to try harder. WINK
We all screw up at least once in life.
Words often cannot reflect our feelings and our intent.
I am not a train author but I do like starting with, "It was a dark and stormy night....."

I was apologizing for my indesgresion. I’m not a trained author either. I got some helpful tips from you as well. Thank you

Since my plan to start isn’t for another 3 years I will be maybe 61 at launch. I mentioned that given what I’ve been reading from everybody’s replies, if I did a cross ocean voyage I would have to wait til getting 10+ years boating experience. From the sounds of it that might not even be long enough and will put me in my 70s. Maybe I’ll save that for my last trek, say right after being diagnosed with a terminal illness. Lost my mom to cancer and my dad has bladder cancer. He’s been in remission for about 20 years tho. ?

Now you're bringing 'real life' into the dream. We all face our family members aging and failing health as well as our own. I have to ask myself how far away from those I love do I want to be? Cruising form California to Alaska I can get home on short notice when needed.

Well ... Vagabond, looks like you got a pretty good dose of "Ole Salts" tonight.
Some good and some not so good ... but all sincere. Dream big - my friend. The only things that are impossible, are the things you never try!

My advice - be patient, be flexible, and be skeptical. Never under estimate the power of wind and water - you are for the most part powerless when faced with raging waters!

As far as boats go - sail boats can be extremely efficient, rugged, cheap, and plentiful - and at least as comfortable as your tear drop! Start there and work your way up - it is possible to trade up as you go. It's hard to make a big mistake with a SV - not so true with a MV.

https://youtu.be/XtYt7eGV0DQ

Good luck -

Last edited:
You are dead on. I’ll find a sailing forum. Maybe you can recommend one.
Cruisers Forum is a related(same owners?)forum, probably as popular with sailboaters as this Forum with trawler (and similar) boaters.

I've spent my entire life boating and I love it. However, anytime someone says they want to cross an ocean on their own boat I suggest they go to the windward side of the Hawaiian islands, look at the waves, multiply by 2500 miles, and ask yourself honestly if you want to do that..I love boats but would rather look at the open ocean from 30,000 feet!

Crossing oceans. That's what ships are for. ... Leaving San Francisco for Hawaii:

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I almost never drink and I never bring alcohol with me in my jeep and trailer. That won’t be a problem. One of the things I hope to get an idea for is navigating storms. Common sense tells me directly into it if I can’t avoid it. I’m sure common sense might get me in some trouble along the way.

What do you administer in case of "snake bite"? :rofl:

Have read through your posts with both interest and scepticism. If my guess is correct you are a doer and learn often by doing something and redoing it if/when needed to get it right.
I'd suggest getting yourself a boat like a CDory that could be trailered to various locations. You can experience a variety of areas and boating scenarios before committing to a more sizable investment to do your ultimate dream. This would allow you to start the learning and enjoyment sooner... why wait?
I also am a strong supporter of US Sail & Power Squadron (now known as Americas Boating Club) and their many courses and seminars. It is not one course but rather a series of courses that cover many aspects of boating and are usually taught over a several year cycle. Many local chapters now teach on the water components of several of their courses. Most apply to both power and sail and will benefit you regardless of which path you take. And, maybe most important, if you join and take courses you will expand your network of knowledgeable resources with similar interests and priceless experience.
Good luck with your adventures.

I'd suggest getting yourself a boat like a CDory that could be trailered to various locations. erests and priceless experience.

The only thing wrong with a CDory is, if you buy a too small one, it's just like camping.
Now, if you are intent on camping, try the Red Roof motel. LOL

Agree but he seemed to be comfortable with the minimalist approach currently and it's a start and an opportunity to get started and figure out what is needed ultimately... power or sail, inland, inshore or offshore are very different and difficult to figure out from forums. A CDory would also be a minimal cost to get started and easy to resell when ready to move on/up.
The only thing wrong with a CDory is, if you buy a too small one, it's just like camping.
Now, if you are intent on camping, try the Red Roof motel. LOL

A C-Dory would feel like a Red Roof Inn compared to the average tear drop camper.

And I find nothing wrong with a Red Roof Inn as long as it's clean and have almost bought C-Dories in the past, even visited their factory back in the day.

I think that would be a great starter boat for an adventurer on a budget (well even smaller if truly no experience... but I'll just go past that).

I remember reading in Small Boat Journal about an older couple who fitted out a 24 ft Carolina skiff who did the ICW. It had a full camper canvas and portable shower, semi enclosed head, etc...etc...

Where there is a will there is a way...one may now live through it all....that "just depends"....:D

Last edited:
"Semi-enclosed head"?
Your head pokes out the top of the canvas?

Greetings,
Mr. OD. "Your head pokes out the top of the canvas?" Much preferable than one's "tail" sticking out I think...

"Semi-enclosed head"?
Your head pokes out the top of the canvas?

A LOT of boats I have been on had your head sticking above the privacy barriers....not sure about the one in question as not all are.

Not as much fun as the pretty girl with her head out the foredeck hatch enjoying a little morning delight being on top. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom