Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #1

City: Falmouth
New member in Cornwall UK

Hi

My name is Barry and I am new to the forum, so be gentle with me please.

At the moment we have a 20’ Hardy Pilot, but we are now seriously considering a trawler yacht.

Our intentions are to get something that we can comfortably use for weekends and weeks away, but in the future, with retirement looming in a few years, to live aboard, hopefully in the Mediterranean.

That is the dream.

We haven’t got a fortune to spend, it would like something thT is economical to run, perhaps 45’ long with three cabins, preferable with the owners cabin being Ensuite with an island large double bed.

One of the cabins I envisage using for storage, perhaps washing machine etc. and as a workshop.

So any recommendations would be greatfully received.

I have recently viewed a Colvic 38 and a C-kip Sea Ranger 39. I preferred the sea ranger out of the two.

We live in the South West of the UK very near the water and so we can make good use of it for local cruising until our final move to the Mediterranea, if it ever happens.

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Barry
Bazzer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Welcome to the Trawler Forum Barry and good luck with your search!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Barry, welcome to the "I own a boat support group."
May I suggest, you bare boat charter a different brand of boat each season.... looking for the "perfect" boat for you and your mate.
Try not to give up that second stateroom. Buy a boat = inherit new friends and relatives. I do recommend a washer/dryer. You may have to buy a bit larger boat to get that space. My 34ft American Tug has the perfect cabinet.... Of course, I gave up that storage space when I put in the washer/dryer. One thing about the washer/dryer combination, realize you will be wearing wrinkled clothes. When you add a washer/dryer, seriously consider a water maker too.
Check for the maximum storage.... You will accumulate stuff and parts and tools.
For me, other than storage, a dry head is important..... Close the door or pull the curtain closed on the shower, I never know it needs cleaning.
For your wife, storage and galley.
My ex could never make up her mind, what clothes to bring for the season so she would bring her entire closet. LOL I spent BIG bucks redoing the forward stateroom for her benefit. Put in extra drawers and a hanging closet 'just for her'.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Hi Barry,

I hit the big 6 zero this year , and have plans nearly identical to yours. At the moment I have a steel barge on a river mooring , but I want to move down to the Med now that I'm retired and I've been looking out for suitable trawlers on the various yacht sale sites .

The big problem I've come across so far is teak decks on all the old 80's & 90's GRP boats; the teak was screwed down onto the plywood sub-deck with 1000's of woodscrews, which then started to leak water into the ply resulting in a rotten mess under the GRP layer.

I was interested in Band Banks 36' models , but I have since discounted them because of the massive job it would take to remove and lift the deck and rebuild it.

So for me it has to be a trawler with GRP decks, or one already sorted.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Hi Barry,

I hit the big 6 zero this year , and have plans nearly identical to yours.

I was interested in Band Banks 36' models , but I have since discounted them because of the massive job it would take to remove and lift the deck and rebuild it.

So for me it has to be a trawler with GRP decks, or one already sorted.
Exterior teak will always need upkeep. Look for a boat without teak decks and exterior railings.

I did a search on "Band Banks" and it stumped my search engines.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Welcome aboard, Barry! We’re a good bunch, for the most part. In return, we ask for your indulgence, because many of us live in the colonies...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Exterior teak will always need upkeep. Look for a boat without teak decks and exterior railings.

I did a search on "Band Banks" and it stumped my search engines.
I think you are right about teak; lovely to look at when its new, but a nightmare to maintain when it gets old with all the wooden plugs that were used to hide the screws.

Spell check actually made my typing error into a spoonerism.....
Old 10-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #8

City: Slidell la
Vessel Name: Bonnie C’S
Vessel Model: DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
Newbe just bought a trawler in Slidell la

My wife Bonnie and I “Tim “ just bought a 40ft DeFever DownEast Passagemaker we will be heading to the Bahamas soon as we do refit BTW which is going well at this point any trawler friends who has made the trip want to share any advice would be appreciated
Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlyguynola View Post
My wife Bonnie and I “Tim “ just bought a 40ft DeFever DownEast Passagemaker we will be heading to the Bahamas soon as we do refit BTW which is going well at this point any trawler friends who has made the trip want to share any advice would be appreciated
Oh there's that expensive word, "REFIT".
Old 10-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Welcome Mate. All the best in your search.

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote