Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

City: Matakana
In the market for a trawler!

Hi all, I am looking at a 1972 GB55 - looks like a Europa - three stateroom version. She’s Calle Beaufort There’s very little information online. Can anyone help me with dimensions / specifications etc? The Broker knows nothing about the boat and referring to her as “Hull 37” but google search tells me nothing. I’ve uploaded a picture if that helps identify her. Thanks in advance, Drew
Attached Thumbnails
AB5F7D54-AE67-46F7-AD06-B0477AAF4EA9.jpg  
Nzdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #2

In the market for a trawler!

Hi all. Excited to find this forum online - hopefully I can get some more info on the GB55 I’m looking to buy. The old girl needs some love but I”m keen to get underway!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Have you checked Powerboat Guide, it may have some basic info. I believe that GB went to fiberglass mid 1973 so it most likely is a woodie. Are you experienced in maintaining a wood boat? If not then think twice and then three times and then walk away. If you have experience in maintaining a woodie then have fun. But make sure that the marina will allow a woodie into the marina. Make sure they will haul a woodie. Then make sure you can get insurance on a woodie. I don’t mean to be Debbie Downer but if it is a woodie then you need to have your eyes open when you go into it. There are a lot of people that love woodies but it will eat your life in work and money.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
First of all, welcome to the forum! You came to the right place for assistance, as well as a clearing house of information by like minded people.

We had a 1972 GB-36. It was the last year they made wood hulls. Late in the year they did produce some fiberglass hulls though. Is the one you're looking at Fiberglass, or wood?
Old 06-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

Yep she’s timber. Mahogany carvel.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Nzdrew, I merged the two threads you posted about your GB55
Old 06-18-2021, 06:40 PM   #7

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi, Drew, welcome to TF. Are you on Matakana Island, or in the Northland town of Matakana, near Warkworth.

As an ex-Kiwi, I'll explain, as there is limited room to do this in the profile on the site.

There is Matakana Island, near Tauranga, in the Bay of Plenty, here... https://www.bing.com/maps?q=matakana+island&FORM=QSRE4

and then there's the town, here.... https://www.newzealand.com/au/matakana/

which is your base, Drew. I suspect the town just North of Auckland, as few live on Matakana Island. However, both look very interesting. Folk on here are always keen to find out about new places.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #9

Matakana - near Warkworth.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Have never heard of a wooden GB 55. I'm pretty sure it is a GB 50. We owned one for 7 years and loved her! However, ours was in decent shape when we bought her. The only reason we sold was that we thought we were getting out of boating.

Read through the many posts here on buying older wooden boats and what to look for regarding condition. We sold our boat for $215kUS in 2003 and ran into the new very knowledgeable owners several years later. They commented that they love her and had not had to put in money in her. Hard to speculate on price not knowing the condition, having not seen any for sale in quite awhile or being familiar with the Aussie market. A good surveyor will be your best friend!

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Have never heard of a wooden GB 55. I'm pretty sure it is a GB 50. We owned one for 7 years and loved her! However, ours was in decent shape when we bought her. The only reason we sold was that we thought we were getting out of boating.

Read through the many posts here on buying older wooden boats and what to look for regarding condition. We sold our boat for $215kUS in 2003 and ran into the new very knowledgeable owners several years later. They commented that they love her and had not had to put in money in her. Hard to speculate on price not knowing the condition, having not seen any for sale in quite awhile or being familiar with the Aussie market. A good surveyor will be your best friend!

Tator
Thanks Tator. It’s highly likely the broker has the specs wrong. But what could she be? We went aboard a 50 footer. In that one the steering was in the saloon with the galley running down the port side. The dining was against the aft wall so accessed the aft deck through the side doors. It was also up two steps to give height in the stateroom below. The companionway was midships. In the “55” the aft deck and the saloon floor are the same level, the galley is forward on the starboard side and the pilothouse is forward of that and separate. Any ideas!? Thanks for you info re timber. I think GRP of the same age carries more risk - osmosis is the quiet killer…I’m in NZ not Aussie…we hold the America’s Cup and have no bugs, snakes or animals that can kill - apart from our national rugby team obviously! ��
Old 06-19-2021, 10:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I’ve never heard of a 55. I cruised a bit maybe 30 years ago on a friend’s 57. He had deep pockets but even he found the maintenance daunting. We were sitting in the saloon one day and a compressor came on - I asked him what that was and I think he listed 9 or 10 and there were probably others.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #13

Yeah. I don’t think she is a 55. I recon the broker got it wrong. Just been aboard a 48 and my suspicion is this one is a 50.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #14
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
IF >>>:

1. You know and understand and like to work on wood boats...

2. You can locate a berth in a marina that will haul a woodie...

3. You can find affordable insurance having good coverages...

4. The wood construction GB is in really, really good condition to begin with...

And, Then - IF >>>:

a. You can get the best [lowest] purchase price in the world...

b. You're a bit crazy with money and work time to burn...

I still suggest you run away! Unless, of course, that GB is fiberglass construction.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzdrew View Post
Yeah. I don’t think she is a 55. I recon the broker got it wrong. Just been aboard a 48 and my suspicion is this one is a 50.
There`s 9% off the ask already. 5ft shorter than advertised!
What troubles me is you saying she needs some love. Love offered to a wooden boat can be open ended. You have to go into this with eyes wide open. It`s a big boat, with lots of scope for lots of work. Osmosis is not nice either, but starting with a good hull is vital, if that`s compromised even the All Blacks won`t get you out of trouble. I watched an IG50 getting it`s hull rebuilt, not easy, at least your`s is mahogany not meranti.
That said, handsome boat from good design, very tempting. Interior set up could vary depending on initial buyer. Personally I like some seating both sides. Be methodical, decide if it`s the boat you want, survey it to see if it`s worth doing. Do not fall in love,assess it without emotion, be willingly to walk. And read Art`s post above again.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:55 AM   #16

Haha. I think I’m hooked - but I can talk myself down easily enough. When I say love, I mean updating - old electronics / appliances etc. She’s looked after, but original. She has a four year old genset, but the onboard systems are 110v which is annoying because NZ is 240v. Means if the fridge or washing machine shits itself I have a problem….anyone done a conversion - I’m assuming the cabling will be up to it because of the extra current 110v needs to carry. I’m going to handle the analysis in two stages. The boat is 800k from where I live so I’m going to pay a boat builder to go and take a look to give me a “shit - run!” or “for the right price this has potential” kind of opinion. If it’s the latter I’ll get on a plane with the wife and kids and go and take a look. If we like we’ll then do the full survey and see what we can find. There’s no hurry - these boats are appeal to a limited market!
Old 06-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Where is she at present Drew, and do we know if it's a woodie or GRP..?
Old 06-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #18
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Where is she at present Drew, and do we know if it's a woodie or GRP..?

Pete, see Post # 5. Copied again below.

Yep she’s timber. Mahogany carvel.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I loved every wood boat I worked on in the late 50's, throughout the 60's and during early 70's.

However - I also love fiberglass... cause... it cut down my per-boat-workload by 10X +/-.

So... I love not working so hard on my fiberglass boats; but, rather enjoying using them.

It's Just That Simple!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #20
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I took a chance on my timber boat and love every plank of hers.

I will do it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
IF >>>:

1. You know and understand and like to work on wood boats...

2. You can locate a berth in a marina that will haul a woodie...

3. You can find affordable insurance having good coverages...

4. The wood construction GB is in really, really good condition to begin with...

And, Then - IF >>>:

a. You can get the best [lowest] purchase price in the world...

b. You're a bit crazy with money and work time to burn...

I still suggest you run away! Unless, of course, that GB is fiberglass construction.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze - Art
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote