Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

City: Washington, NC
Saying Hello

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new here. I don't have a trawler yet, but am seriously considering a local 36 Grand Banks Classic to live aboard. I'll be browsing a lot of threads and might even ask a few questions. It will likely be just me and my dog. I'm looking to downsize from my house and reduce my overhead. Not an unusual story. I want to change up my routine and live differently for the remaining 25-30 years I have on the planet. Wish me luck!

Craig
CRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard, and enjoy the search. Sometimes that is the best part.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRamsey View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new here. I don't have a trawler yet, but am seriously considering a local 36 Grand Banks Classic to live aboard. I'll be browsing a lot of threads and might even ask a few questions. It will likely be just me and my dog. I'm looking to downsize from my house and reduce my overhead. Not an unusual story. I want to change up my routine and live differently for the remaining 25-30 years I have on the planet. Wish me luck!

Craig
I think it can be a great change in lifestyle. I do caution one thing. Don't expect it to really reduce your expenses. A boat is cheaper than a boat and a house, but not less expensive than a house, when all factors are considered.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF
I'd second B&B's comment re $ in general - always exceptions both ways depending on your needs / wants
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think it can be a great change in lifestyle. I do caution one thing. Don't expect it to really reduce your expenses. A boat is cheaper than a boat and a house, but not less expensive than a house, when all factors are considered.
Yup, what he said. The purchase cost of the boat is the cheapest part of ownership in the long run. I would also encourage to you start looking at not only the boat, but where you might dock it. Some marinas don't allow live aboards. Moorage close in to certain areas can be pretty expensive. I would start looking at all that now so you can factor it all in together.

Good luck with the exploration though. As was mentioned, it can be fun.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Craig,

We have the boat you mentioned and will be downsizing from it in the near future. As a live aboard it would be an interesting idea with just you and your dog. Moorage is always an issue unless the marina allows it like ours does on Vashon Island. Where are you located? You will get a lot of ideas on live aboard from many people on the forum. Feel free to ask about the GB anytime.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
As previously stated, boats can be a cheap way to live, but not necessarily.

A 36 footer is good for a bachelor, most significant others, male or female will need an additional 4 to 6 feet of boat....if you also add a few hobbies such as fishing, diving, dingy, kayaks or paddle boards, etc...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #9

City: Washington, NC
Thanks for all the quick Welcomes. I realize that a boat can be just as expensive as a house. At least with the boat, I'd buy it outright and not have a mortgage. I looked at the 1974 Grand Banks today. It looks solid, but needs a good bit of elbow grease. The motors (twin LH Fords) each have only about 250 hours on them. I wonder how much rot is in there, being used so little. I'm thinking of gaskets and seals. It's been in a covered slip for 4 years and hardly used. It's in brackish water and the hull has been scrubbed by a diver every few months... I'm in Eastern NC, may move on south towards Charleston or Beaufort, SC. Lady's Island Marina looks nice and has great reviews. By the way, it's hull #36-383. Does that mean anything to anyone here?
CRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Welcome aboard. Good luck in your new lifestyle and search.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
I have hull#427 so it is an early 74 model. An engine survey would give a better idea of the engines. Seems awfully low on hours though, are the hour meters the same brand as the other gauges or look any different than the other gauges?
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Welcome aboard.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Will you be pleased to get your town back and to be rid of all those 'lympic tourists soon Sergio..?

Great games, all the same. Did Rio proud, in spite of the odd 'issue'.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #14

City: Florida
Averycat

We are in the same boat, so to speak, in that we are on a plan to find a trawler for Florida cruising and great American trips. We are Floridians and love boating in the gulf but a trawler is an ultimate achievement for our retirement. We have a home base small home in apalchicola Florida and plan on retiring in the next 5 years. We have have already learned a significant amount from this source and really enjoy the friendly advice this forum provides
Averycat and Billybob
Averycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averycat View Post
We are in the same boat, so to speak, in that we are on a plan to find a trawler for Florida cruising and great American trips. We are Floridians and love boating in the gulf but a trawler is an ultimate achievement for our retirement. We have a home base small home in apalchicola Florida and plan on retiring in the next 5 years. We have have already learned a significant amount from this source and really enjoy the friendly advice this forum provides
Averycat and Billybob
Wifey B: You're in one of our absolutelyflutintootinfavorite towns. We fell in love with it our first time there with all the artists and their studios And the soda fountain and the seafood. But the art is what pushes it over the top to us.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
I have hull#427 so it is an early 74 model. An engine survey would give a better idea of the engines. Seems awfully low on hours though, are the hour meters the same brand as the other gauges or look any different than the other gauges?
I agree. At 250 hours, that's an average of about 6 hours a year. I'd drill down on that a bit.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #17

City: Florida
Yes we love it and all the eclectic folks
Averycat is offline   Reply With Quote