Old 01-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Looking for the Right Boat

My wife and I are new to this site, although we aren't new to boats. My wife was a NOAA Corp Officer, retired, and had command on one of their ships. I have sailed small boats all over the ocean, over 250,000 miles, many of those doing deliver's in the Pacific. I am semi-retired but still work part time as a Ship Master sailing in the Western Pacific.

My wife and I are looking for a comfortable boat, in the 28-35 ft. range for cruising. I like the idea of a trailer-able boat, so we can keep it dry stored when not in use. I do want a boat that is comfortable to sleep on, has a useable head for my wife, and a reasonable galley. We do like the Sundowner 30, although we have heard that the headroom is a challenge for people over 6 ft, as both my wife and I.

One cruise that I have always wanted to make is the Great Loop, as well as doing some more cruising in the Pacific Northwest as far north as Alaska. I know the right boat is out there at the right price. If anyone has a suggestion,, please feel free to PM me, I would like to know your thoughts.

I enjoy reading the new post daily and looking at the classified ad.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome.

Here in the PNW I see a lot of Ranger Tugs that might fit what you are looking for. Not inexpensive but the folks that own them seem to love them.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Well the "right" boat is the one you fall in love with.

I slept on mine for the first time on New Years eve. Extremely comfortable and spacious. I also cooked breakfast for 6 the next morning.

36' seems to be the magic number for me. I like the space and know I can spend extended time on her.

Get in touch with a yacht broker and look at different types of boats. Write down a list of "must haves".

Welcome and good luck in your search.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Well, if you want to think outside the box a little, here is your boat:

Great Harbour N37 trawler: spacious, stable, unsinkable - Great Harbour Trawlers
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sundowners are great boats but 6' headroom is going to be a challenge in any boat 30' or less. Island Gypsy makes a 32 that may have the headroom you desire.

Enjoy your hunt.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
My hunt will slow down for the next couple of months as I have to return to work for the next four months, but won't stop ass long as I have a computer to use and internet.

I feel luckier than many people that I have a lot of experience with boating, just never owned a powerboat or trawler. Lot of sailboats in my past, so I have some ideas of what I want. The thing that makes me luckest, is my wife is bugging me to find a boat, so we can start cruising.

Thanks all for the help and encouragement.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote