looking at 1974 GB trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kauaiman

HI, new to the forum, appears there is a wealth of information here. I am looking at purchasing a 1974 Grand Banks 32',working on getting a survey done. I have read that leaks in fuel tanks and spongy teak decks due to water infiltration are high on the list to be watchfull of. This model year has a fiberglass hull. I have owned mahogany boats before and am well aware of the upkeep, but do know how to keep the brightwork up. Interested in any advice or other internet sites that may be of value before I put down hard cash. The boat is listed at $60,000.
cheers

You haven't posted the specific ad, but that seems pretty steep price for a 1973 GB 32. Of course it could be perfect condition, new fuel tanks, teak decking removed, repowered, and always boathouse kept, in which case, it may be a steal . . . . but my overall take is that it is probably overpriced. We owned a 1972 GB 36, the last year they made wood hulls, to the best of my knowledge. Great boat, lots of upkeep, had been repowered with a Cummins 6BTA engine, with 400 hours. Posting the ad would make it easier for people to comment on value, but I can see why you may not want to do that. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

You haven't posted the specific ad, but that seems pretty steep price for a 1973 GB 32.

I watched GB 32's for the past couple years as they were on my possibility list.

I don't know where Kapaa is, but in the USA I think that would be a reasonable price now for an early fiberglass GB 32 in decent shape (1974 is early fiberglass as they transitioned partway through 1973). Nice examples of late 80's and early 90's are going for $100-$140k now from what I can see.

PS: I looked it up and Kapaa is in Hawai'i. The market there is probably a bit different than in mainland US, where I was looking.

Welcome aboard. Make sure you can get insurance on it before you buy it. Unless you don’t want insurance. Good luck.

The boat is in Southeast Alaska. I know, a lot of rain! I thought it was a little high priced. looking for a good surveyor now and going in with both eyes open. Seller says teak decks are good because it was in a covered boathouse before he bought it 3 years ago. I am taking it one step at a time as the boat is not listed with a broker, found it by word of mouth. I will be using boat in Alaska, but previous person is right, live in Hawaii. Thanks for the responses!

I would check the teak decks carefully. In that vintage they will be screwed down with hundreds of screws. Each a potential leak into the deck coring. It can be repaired but it is either quite expensive or a lot of labor.

Thanks for the advice. Teak decks, leaking gas tanks and rotting windows are on the top of my list.

I've a 1994 Island Gypsy 32. Essentially the same boat built in Singapore. Teak decks and all teak below. I paid low $40 but boat was cosmetically tired. However, she had great bones.
In your case, Fiberglas good, what engine? Original Lehman ? Genset? Those are expensive to buy and install. Fuel tanks that old would have been steel and likely would have been replaced, mine were with plastic. I did all my own work other than media blasting the hull. I agree, $60k is high unless its very restored.

Back
Top Bottom