Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
sawdustdad's Avatar
 
City: Virginia
Vessel Name: Buoy Scout
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 Open
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
Long Time Listserv Member jumping ship

Been a member of the T&T Listserver for 20 years. Finally moving over to this forum. Not a trawler owner, currently have a Tiara 3700 Open, but have had a variety of boats over a lifetime of boating. Boat mostly on the Chesapeake and keep our boat at our house nearby. Retired a year ago, active with many hobbies, boating being just one. Looking forward to participating in the forum.

(Looks like I joined back in 2012, forgot about that. Have not been active here until now.)
__________________
Advertisement

sawdustdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,935
Welcome
__________________

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,787
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,130
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Swamp Commander Supreme
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,060
Welcome aboard. A lot of us don't have trawlers here. Hell, I don't even have a boat at the moment. We all seem to enjoy the trawler lifestyle though.
__________________
Dave
Just be nice to each other, dammit.
The Adventures of Sylphide
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member
 
sawdustdad's Avatar
 
City: Virginia
Vessel Name: Buoy Scout
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 Open
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Welcome aboard. A lot of us don't have trawlers here. Hell, I don't even have a boat at the moment. We all seem to enjoy the trawler lifestyle though.
A boat is a boat is a boat. Many systems are the same across boat types. That's why I'm here.

At the time I joined the T&T Listserv, in 1997 or 1998, it was THE place for serious boaters to learn and share. Of course, since then, discussion forums have replaced List servers. The list serve is still active, though at a much lower rate than it used to be. Due to inability to post photos, etc., I think it's time has passed. Hence my decision to move over here.

Thanks for the welcomes. See you on the forums.
sawdustdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,169
Ahoy!
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,871
Honestly, I didn't know Listserv was still alive.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7,088
Yo and watch that line in the water.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #10
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
A boat is a boat is a boat. Many systems are the same across boat types. That's why I'm here.



At the time I joined the T&T Listserv, in 1997 or 1998, it was THE place for serious boaters to learn and share. Of course, since then, discussion forums have replaced List servers. The list serve is still active, though at a much lower rate than it used to be. Due to inability to post photos, etc., I think it's time has passed. Hence my decision to move over here.



Thanks for the welcomes. See you on the forums.


That sums up the decision when I moved a number of years ago. I think you will find way more depth and diversity here. Welcome.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
Member
 
City: Charleston
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Welcome and I think I recognize the sig pic from THT
Reelescape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,643
Welcome to TF .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,672
Welcone aboard TF
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,240
Welcome back! You're going to like it a lot
__________________
Allan
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,873
After 20 years there is still a batch of us friends who trade lies back and forth on the T&T list. I think it will be around for a good while. I get the emails from T&T as they post rather than the digest, but I tend to wait for the email from Trawler Forum to look through the postings that way. And yes, a boat is pretty much a boat whether it was my GB42 Calypso or my 30 Pilot II Mainship. Systems is systems.
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member
 
sawdustdad's Avatar
 
City: Virginia
Vessel Name: Buoy Scout
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 Open
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
After 20 years there is still a batch of us friends who trade lies back and forth on the T&T list. I think it will be around for a good while. I get the emails from T&T as they post rather than the digest, but I tend to wait for the email from Trawler Forum to look through the postings that way. And yes, a boat is pretty much a boat whether it was my GB42 Calypso or my 30 Pilot II Mainship. Systems is systems.
Hi, Rich,

Yes, you may recognize my real name, Frank Timpano, from the T&T list. I joined that listserv in 97 or 98--shortly after it was formed. Had a Hatteras DCMY at the time. A couple different Tiaras since then.

There were not many boating resources on the internet that actually dealt with real boat issues back then. Also, at that time everyone was so concerned about bandwidth, (many were using modems), so every character was precious, and you got reamed for not snipping headers and footers. LOL. I just unsubscribed last week after all these years.

Nice to see another familiar face in a planing hull on here. I've got, what, 10 posts? I've already been called out for not having a trawler and asked why I'm on this forum. Chalked that up to someone in a bad mood.

See ya around!

Frank
sawdustdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #17
Member
 
City: Irmo
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Welcome!
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #18
Member
 
City: South Western Florida
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
Hi, Rich,

Yes, you may recognize my real name, Frank Timpano, from the T&T list. I joined that listserv in 97 or 98--shortly after it was formed. Had a Hatteras DCMY at the time. A couple different Tiaras since then.

There were not many boating resources on the internet that actually dealt with real boat issues back then. Also, at that time everyone was so concerned about bandwidth, (many were using modems), so every character was precious, and you got reamed for not snipping headers and footers. LOL. I just unsubscribed last week after all these years.

Nice to see another familiar face in a planing hull on here. I've got, what, 10 posts? I've already been called out for not having a trawler and asked why I'm on this forum. Chalked that up to someone in a bad mood.

See ya around!

Frank
===

Some of us still have a foot in each door. I've learned a lot from T&T over the years and have also met some interesting people. I'm a newcomer here so the jury is still out. :-)
Wayne.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #19
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,873
Hey, Frank. Yeah, as I recall Georgs, who created the list in the first place placed a premium on welcoming all who wished to learn and contribute about living and cruising under power. While nobody ever droned on about the wonder of sailing with the lee rail under on a "taut bowline" and the advantages of various sail combinations, sailboaters who understood the value of the offerings lurked or occasionally joined in with value-added points on equipment discussions. And there are lots of people in planing hull boats who trudge along at hull speed on longer journeys. And then there are those of us in planing hulls with far many more years of previous experience in trawlers who have not forgotten ANYTHING we learned there. I also enjoy the Mainship Yahoo group but find that overall the experience level there is well below what you find here and on the Trawlers and Trawlering list.
__________________

__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×