Liveaboard Changes !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Changes

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
StarGazer
Vessel Make
Van Helleman custom/62 ft
Hello everyone !
As the name implies, I am in the process of going thru a boating change, both in type and location.

We have owned and lived aboard our Dutch built CORTEN steel motorsailor StarGazer for 17 years, sailing mostly in the Philippines .

Now despite pandemic delays, we are exploring a move back to my home waters of British Columbia and a change to trawler design.

Somewhat tempted to bring StarGazer to PNW, if I could only figure out how to improve on hull, deck and cabin insulation without tearing apart her interior??
Presently has 2” Fiberglass insulation behind accommodation above the waterline, but no idea how effective that would be for BC winters? What would you consider a minimum for steel?
Already got the installation design and quotes to put in a Chinook ITR heating system if I made that decision, but the condensation issue concerns me.

So am here to learn about Trawlers, living year round in the PNW and how best to prepare my Filipino partner for boating life on the west coast.

Nick and Zaida

Banton%202%20SG.jpeg3%20Pilothouse.jpegSail8.jpg2DSC_0074.jpg

Last edited:
Nick, I can't answer the question about how much insulation you would need but as I look at the design of Stargazer I can't help but think how beautiful she is and how well suited to the waters of the PNW. That being said, I can imagine that she would be a lot more work to cruise in than a trawler.

I just sold a boat I've loved for the past 10 years and moved to a motorhome. Part of that decision had to do with the ease of handling and wanting to do land cruises rather than water cruises. It was a tough decision to sell our boat but now that we have a motorhome we're looking forward to traveling around our beautiful country.

Mike

Nick, I can't help you with your questions but your location got my attention. During the Vietnam war, I flew into Naval Air Station Cubi Point, near Subic Bay. At that time, the US Navy had a major ship base at Subic, but I understand it's no longer there?

Hi Ken,
Subic is still very much alive and well as an Economic Freeport since 1993
It has been my maintenance base for a number of years and we still get many Naval Ships visiting.

All the old infrastucture has been repurposed, Cubi and Kalayaan have many wonderful residential homes, the international airport was expanded as a base for FedEx but now caters to mostly private jets.

The drydock is now privately run out of Guam

You can see one of those US Navy Austal expedition craft getting a bit close for comfort and testing my ground tackle and lines on their arrival.

Whew! [emoji849] they would never get away with that in the States!

You can see more here about Subic.....

http://www.mysubicbay.com.ph/

Best place to retire in the Philippines View attachment 117010IMG-20200808-WA0003.jpgIMG-20200808-WA0000.jpeg

Nick, I can't help you with your questions but your location got my attention. During the Vietnam war, I flew into Naval Air Station Cubi Point, near Subic Bay. At that time, the US Navy had a major ship base at Subic, but I understand it's no longer there?
Hello Ken, I had posted a detailed reply with Photos about Subic but got message that it was pending approval .

Hope it shows up

Welcome aboard :thumb:

I live in Kitimat on BC's north coast where it's much colder than Prince Rupert, and it regularly goes down to -20C a couple times a winter during cold snaps.

The previous owner of our 30' fibreglass boat was an engineer and never put a heat source in the engine room, figuring the Pacific Ocean would be enough of a heat source.

During cold snaps the 'steam' rising off of the channel gets to be about 20' high and very dense, so it's considerably warmer than the air.

I could see his logic, but keep a heat source in the engine room all winter, just in case!

So, if you were on BC's south coast, you might not need as much insulation below the waterline as your tropical frame of reference suggests.

Last edited:
StarGazer is one fine looking vessel! Welcome aboard!

StarGazer is one fine looking vessel! Welcome aboard!
Thanks Moonfish, I hope to be getting some advice on a suitable year round liveaboard Trawler to replace StarGazer.

I will start a separate thread with budget , ergonomics and layout requirements , adusted from my own experience of liveaboard needs in the tropics on a 62' motor sailor to cold climates and off grid requirements.

Our goal will be to spend about 5 months in 2022 shoppings with well defined priorities hopefully gleamed from experienced trawler liveaboards in the PNW and SE Alaska.

I know those waters well from my commercial days as captain on tugs, small exploration charter ships and Super yachts.

I just dont know which used trawler has good bones and solid engineering in our price range of USD300k

StarGazer already has a buyer when I choose to sell, so she has set the bar high for a trawler replacement.

...but to paraphrase Jim on Sea Venture:
"October in Alaska is best seen from a heated pilothouse than from an outside cockpit" [emoji4]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom