Old 03-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
bjr

City: Seattle
Intro from a longtime lurker

I've been lurking on here off an on for years but as I posted for the first time a few days ago (photo of Airstream345's KK 54') I figured I'd do an intro.

I've been working in software/tech for a couple decades but before that (when I was just a lad ) I worked as a hydrographic surveyor for NOAA. I'd never worked in maritime, never spent much time around boats, but averaging about 270 days a year at sea for 5 years will make a deep impression on a person. Obviously I loved it enough to stick around, and somewhat grudgingly left it to come back to the UW, finish off a degree, and then get married to a phenomenally patient woman (that part wasn't grudging).

It will always be the best job I ever had. Our job was to map every nook and cranny in remote and spectacular areas in AK (SE in the spring, Cook Inlet and the AK Peninsula in the summer, PWS in the late summer/fall), and then pick up where we left off the next year. I always dreamed of being able to come back and explore the same areas again for fun rather than work. And spending all that time at sea really resonated with me. The things that were valued - competence, judgement, a comprehensive set of skills - were things I placed a lot of value in.

Here's one from back then. This kinda thing happened a lot - we used to say our motto was "we hit the rocks so you don't have to!" - but I'm pretty sure this was in Gambier Bay, Stephens Passage.

Anyway, as I get older (I feel like I can *almost* see retirement from here) I think more and more about getting to a place where chartering or owning a boat would make sense for me/my family. Following the conversations on here, getting a better idea of all the things I *don't* know along with validation about some of the things I think I do, is super fun.
bjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! As you’ve been lurking for a while I’m sure you know your choice of anchor is far more important than the boat you choose. I suggest you pick the anchor style you like, buy the biggest one they make, then buy the smallest boat it will fit on. It still won’t be big enough and it will be the wrong type, but you’ll have done your best.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Welcome bjr,

Sounds like you had the perfect job! I'm jealous.

Now you just have to find the perfect boat.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #5

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
Welcome and I hope I never see my boat on a rock like that! Lol.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Welcome Aboard!
Old 03-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Welcome aboard! As they say, "better to have a drink on the rocks in your boat, than your boat on the rocks in the drink!"
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome aboard! As you’ve been lurking for a while I’m sure you know your choice of anchor is far more important than the boat you choose. I suggest you pick the anchor style you like, buy the biggest one they make, then buy the smallest boat it will fit on. It still won’t be big enough and it will be the wrong type, but you’ll have done your best.
That made me laugh out loud! Oops, I mean LOL...

https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #9
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Welcome! I'd love if you could start another thread as to why charts, at least here in coastal BC and SE Alaska may not always be that accurate. I know part of it has to do with how the initial surveys were done a long time ago. I know the Broughtons below SE Alaska have some areas not well surveyed.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
bjr

City: Seattle
Sure, I'd be happy to.

My information is somewhat vintage, but given the nature and scope of the problem, things haven't changed that much since I was a surveyor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Welcome! I'd love if you could start another thread as to why charts, at least here in coastal BC and SE Alaska may not always be that accurate. I know part of it has to do with how the initial surveys were done a long time ago. I know the Broughtons below SE Alaska have some areas not well surveyed.
bjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #11
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
What I hope you can address is why the old surveys sucked somewhat. I know they would do a survey of a small area then with distance between the two, do another hence the problems we have. But you can do a better job of explaining than I can.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote