Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Following Seas
Vessel Model: 2001 Bayliner 5788
Just Joining

New member and admittedly I don't qualify as a trawler owner, but I can at least say I have had a trawler in my past, a 1980 Davis Vashon 42 that I lived on for many years in the PNW.

I currently own a 2001 Bayliner 5788 and hope you won't hold it against me. I promise to continue to run at hull speed (mostly due to fuel costs) and have a sincere interest in your website, that being your experiences in transiting the west coast. I am bringing my 57 down from Seattle to Stockton in June for 2 years to live aboard while my wife fulfills a contract with UC Davis Med Center in Sacramento. I am hoping to glean whatever information I can on making this a safe and enjoyable trip from those of you who have already made this passage. There is not better teacher than experience and I am told this is the premier site for seamanship education.

I have had a lot of boats in the past, boated for over 50 years, and have done the inside passage to Alaska (in my trawler). With your help, adding an ocean voyage along the west coast will be a boating career highlight for me.
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Don't have a lot of knowledge on the passage. But I do want to welcome you to the forum and invite you to join our group in the California Delta and SF Bay. Check us out by clicking on "Community" followed by SF Bay and California Delta "Social Groups". Sea ya'.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the invite, and once we make it down form the NW we can look in on you. Appreciate the welcome. Stuart
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome, Stuart! Bayliner, Sea Ray, or Carver...doesn't matter to (most of) us. It's about the passion, not the cruise speed. Besides, most of us can't agree on the definition of a trawler, so you're sure to fit in by some definitions. Either way, glad to have you onboard.

Can't help with advice or lessons learned for the passage as I pretty much stick to the Delta and SF Bay, but when it comes to learning the Delta, many of us here have some knowledge there. A few of us just finished a trip to Stockton for the Asparagus Festival. Maybe we'll be able to assist with recommendations if needed.

In the meantime, here's a good primer on the CA Delta waters. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...uide-6139.html

Hope to see you here... http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/g...+cruisers.html

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, welcome aboard Stuart. None of us have real trawlers, (getting in before Marin), so we don't really mind what your vessel is as long as it floats.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
as long as it floats.
Such a high standard. When did we initiate that

Welcome Stuart. As one whom also has trim tabs and ain't afraid to use them either I look forward to meeting you when ya get to Stockton.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the welcomes and the links. We have zero Delta knowledge so this will be useful info. Hope to have our boat down here by late June.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

City: Benicia CA
Made the trip several times, and am doing it again this week (headed back to Anacortes).

Sorry Marin! (StuartT - eventually you'll learn what that means if you stick around on this forum)

passageweather.com is excellent and hasn't let us down yet. Just be patient if don't feel comfortable with the forcast.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nsail, thanks for the heads up. I would really like to hear whatever feedback you put out on your trip along the way. Can I PM you my email and ask to be included if you send out updates to your friends/family? I have an insatiable appetite for coastal passage information. Please feel free to say no if you would rather not. Just asking.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #10

City: Benicia CA
StuartT,

I don't have a blog or anything. As for keeping family and work updated, it's not too bad. 1 or 2 stops for fuel (gas hog depending on speed) with obviously good reception, combined with the fact that if you're not too far off the coast (surprisingly, you can get a cell signal more often than you'd think), it's pretty easy to stay in touch.

But, please feel free to PM me anytime.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Okay, and thanks for that passageweather site. Hadn't heard of that but definitely like it. And if I can get reasonably good Verizon service offshore, a booster on my Verizon MiFi might make that site readily available. How far off are you running when you still get reception?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Made the trip several times, and am doing it again this week (headed back to Anacortes).

Sorry Marin! (StuartT - eventually you'll learn what that means if you stick around on this forum)
As long as you leave by the end of the summer that's okay. Where we boat mostly during the summer the public can't go so we don't really care how zoo-like it gets everywhere else. Come September, though, your bow best be pointed south.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote