Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

City: Clinton Iowa Marina
New member from the midwest

Hi there...we are in the midwest on the Mississippi River and own a 32 ' power crusier and we are trying to sell it. It just got pulled out of the river and being stored for the winter. Not a good time for selling. My husband and I have a dream of doing the loop and live a board when retirement comes in a few years. We like the trawler idea, just not to many in our neck of the woods. We have looked at a 39' mainship trawler with diesel engines. It said deisel package. We are not real familiar with diesel engines, but know we would like to go that way for gas prices. This twaler is a 1994 mainship$139,000 owner passed away and a broker has it. Seems in good shape, about 2,000 hours on engines? We walked on it and looked inside. Broker couldn't make it so boat neighbor let us look at it...was in the river at the time. It was kept in a nice Marina near us and under cover. My nephew has a carver and he says he has seen it being driven. It gets stored inside for the winter. So now we want to see the hull.
Does anyone know the make of this trawler..any issues or concerns? Suggestions for new trawler owners.
Thanks
midwest boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Mainship come in a variety of sizes and configuration. A little more information would be helpful.
As to Mainship in general they seem to be well regarded.

Welcome aboard by the way.

SD
Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

City: Clinton Iowa Marina
It is a 39' mainship 350/390 trawlers and its a 1997. Has yanmar diesel/ twin package. Its fiberglass. I also noticed the price dropped on this boat since we saw it since the summer. It because of the end of season. Its 119,000. Its on boattrader in my my area. So no trans porting. Most trawlers are so far away or ocean. We cant do anything until.our crusier gets sold.
midwest boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Are you familiar with this site Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com I am sure they will have many Mainship trawlers, and others, for sale. You can search according to brand, length, price, etc. There are lots of boats for sale now take your time.
Trawlers are great boat for the loop and other cruising.
Cruising in a trawler is wonderful!
Good luck
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. mid'w boater. Welcome aboard. Just to play the devil's advocate here for a bit....Why not do the loop in your current boat? You already know the boat and it's systems. You will take a hit ($$) when you sell it (although a replacement should be less $$ as well).
As an aside, if fuel prices are a MAJOR concern look for a single diesel.