Just bought a 30' Sundowner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turner

Our recently purchased 30' Sundowner is on her cross country truck ride to Biloxi, on the Missisipping Gulf Coast. Her name is Mojo, a Cajun and New Orleans word for a good luck charm. In the near future as we become more familiar with the boat I am sure we will be posting questions. Since she is coming to hot and humid Biloxi, our first question is where is the best location to install a generator to power the much needed AC?

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat. Does the boat already have AC?

Ted

Welcome from Alaska- Sundowner tugs are very well received in this part of the woods, local owners happy campers. Could you give us a clue as to your desired gen set particulars. Built in or portable (2000 Honda-example).

Al-Ketchikan

Welcome aboard, and a great choice of boat :thumb: :thumb: (ruggedly handsome, much like their owners ;) )

Welcome aboard, and a great choice of boat :thumb: :thumb: (ruggedly handsome, much like their owners ;) )

Modest to a fault and blind to beauty. Oops! Did I roll my eyes out loud?:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Where did you purchase the boat from? I have seen more than a few in the NW, looked at a couple but passed on them. Main reason being lack of below deck sleeping quarters and relatively high prices for their size and accommodation's. I do love their look though. Congrats!

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat. Does the boat already have AC?

Ted
No AC, any suggestions on what brand AC or generator that would pretty much just be pulling AC & microwave?

Welcome from Alaska- Sundowner tugs are very well received in this part of the woods, local owners happy campers. Could you give us a clue as to your desired gen set particulars. Built in or portable (2000 Honda-example).

Al-Ketchikan
Built in generator, not pulling much, AC , microwave, cabin lights

Bought in Bellingham, Washington. Just retired, going to take my life back and cruise the Gulf Coast from key west to new orleans and enjoy the results of a life time of work while we can!

Turner,
That's going to be an expensive proposition. AC and gen, if done right, will be quite expensive overall.

It's always buying stuff like that with the boat, but occasionally not doable.

Be SURE to get someone that's done a lot of theses, especially the gen so you can get it tied into the boat correctly.

There is some interesting information in this blog about the refit of Scout;

M/V Scout

There is some interesting information in this blog about the refit of Scout;

M/V Scout

Hi Murray, as the owner mentioned AC lines and such, it would behove the OP here to make contact with the 'Scout' owner. was there a link? I am typing so I can not go back.
Really the boats are worthy!

Al.

I've really been enjoying reading everyone's posting, (I was off line for a while, for got my password). Y'all, as we say in these parts, are an interesting group of people. My original question was about AC and generator for our 30 ft. Sundowner, been checking out the Mermaid Marine AC and an inboard 5.5 kw Kubota generator, any of you had experience with either of these? Had a 7.5 Kubota in a previous boat that was great. Let me know any advice you may have. Thanks.

Welcome back!

If I remember correctly, the owner of Scout put his generator in the lazarette. Maybe you could use the larger aft deck box? Go with a composting toilet and put the generator where the holding tank is? (Just kicking ideas down the road there...)

We don't need AC and our electrical needs are small, so we opted for a larger alternator for quicker charging than the stock alternator on the Yanmar was capable of doing.

Is your boat home yet? Any other projects in mind?

Sundowner

No, it's not here yet, somewhere between Seattle and Biloxi, expected arrival this coming Tuesday or Wednesday. I noticed a space under the stern hatch that should a generator should fit. Planning to tie it in with the existing fuel tank lines to avoid adding another fuel tank, any draw backs to that that you're aware of ?

There's a photo of Scout's generator install at the bottom of this page: M/V Scout

Draw backs? Ours has a leak into the lazarette from under the aft deck box that's been there for decades before we bought Badger. (Will be fixing that when the aft deck gets replaced and new fuel tanks go in) Don't know if yours leaks into there as well...something to think about.

Bought in Bellingham, Washington. Just retired, going to take my life back and cruise the Gulf Coast from key west to new orleans and enjoy the results of a life time of work while we can!
That is where I bought my boat as well, a 34 CHB. Chances are I have seen your boat. Enjoy her and the cruising!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom