Old 11-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
Bel

City: Wellington
Vessel Name: Sea Jac
Vessel Model: Davies 54
Joining you from New Zealand

Kia Ora!
We've just taken the plunge and bought our first trawler.

Husband Steve and I are fed up with being trapped on this wee island in the middle of no-where and decided to have another adventure so we have just taken over our 54 foot marine trader Sea Jac.
We're starting locally, exploring some of New Zealand's northern beaches, and will bring her home to the capital city Wellington in the New Year. From there we'll build up to a circumnavigation, and hopefully off around the South Pacific.
Any other New Zealanders on here? We'd love to meet new people and especially visitors to NZ once the borders re-open (goodness knows when).
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Welcome aboard, I am sure you enjoy your new boat as it is a good size. When you say "circumnavigation" and later "south Pacific" I am guessing you mean circum-NZ? In any event, building up to it sounds prudent.

You will find a few kiwis here, although not that many yet. Spread the word!

Trapped you say? I am on the Gold Coast at a resort and was chatting to a Christchurch couple who have been trapped here since end of June. They spent 10 weeks in a resort near Coolangatta, and have been a bit further north here at Labrador for 8 weeks. But they are chirpy enough - don't like South Island winters anyway. Apparently they can get a flight in 2 weeks, then 2 weeks mandatory quarantine in Auckland before going home. At which point they are staying put for a while! They should have bought a boat.........
Old 11-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Bel

City: Wellington
Vessel Name: Sea Jac
Vessel Model: Davies 54
"I am guessing you mean circum-NZ" Yes that's the plan but we are taking our time.
Loving all the helpful info on here. So many wise heads :-)
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
We are sooo pleased to have you, and your avatar shows a sagacious pair with experiences to share with us. We always enjoy photos of the new folks' boats. I have my google earth app already to zoom into the places you may take us!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, indeed, good to welcome some fellow Kiwis to TF.

I'm an Aussie now, but born and bred, and spent first 42 years of my life in NZ. I moved to Brisbane in 1989, bringing the Gazelle 26 maxi trailer yacht I bought off the manufacturer, (his demo boat), right there in Wellington, over with us. Used her as an extra container as well. Main reason I chose the Gazelle was they breed 'em tough there - fly spinnakers across Cook Straight, eg, so I knew it would be real seaworthy.

Finally sold her and went to trawlers here because Moreton Bay, with all its islands, shoals and channels - not to mention the blazing sun, and heat - was not as kind to exposed sailing types and boats with keels, so joined the dark side of powered boating - loved it..! Still miss the sailing though.

Plenty of nice places to cruise over there. A circumnavigation of NZ will take some time, for sure. Although not large as a country goes, has a very long coastline, so good luck with that. Three places to make a must go to - Hauraki Gulf, Bay of Islands...but even more-so, Stewart Island. That place is a paradise..! You could spend months just doing Paterson Inlet. And the fishing...☝️

Enjoy - and yeah, we expect photos...
Old 11-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #7

City: Russell NZ
Vessel Name: MV Unique
Vessel Model: Salthouse Coastal 35
Welcome aboard from Russell Bay Of Islands
Phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote