Introduction to the Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hot Chilli

Vessel Name
Hot Chilli
Vessel Make
CHB 50 Yacht Fisher
Hi all

Thought i would introduce the admiral and I (Ric). We have been enjoying reading the forum regularly and have learned much from all of you, thank you.

We have been around small boats all our lives (fishing boats 22' twin 175hp that type of stuff) We got to stage where we wanted a change of lifestyle albeit work wise we remains very busy but this was meant to be part of a transition.

We are based in Adeliade Australia, an interesting part of the world for cruising.

We came across an economically priced 50' CHB sportsfisher (1990) which seems to be very similar in design to a Defever. We think it was originally sold as a Voyager 50

It was in need of some tender loving care but mechanically, it seemed in good shape. Powered by twin Cat 3208 with circa 3300hrs. The Boat was bought in the USA by the previous owner and brought to Australia in late 2015. A bunch stuff was refurbished including new Raymarine Electronics package, three new AC, two large fridges, and a change over to 240V.

We figured it was going to be our learning boat (big boat) and we took the plunge.

Life has never been the same, the admiral and I are both in the corporate world but have engineering backgrounds albeit we have not been on the tools so to speak. We did get a survey which in itself taught us a lot and whilst we thought the 50 odd observations required attention none was a show stopper and or catastrophic. We know so much more now!!! :)

The boat was on a hardstand, we did take it for a sea trial and put back on a hardstand. We then returned to Perth early 2020 (we were living there at the time) to find we were locked in because of Covid. We return to Adelaide late 2020 and progressed with some critical maintenance put the boat on the water and the adventure started.

About 6 months ago, whist reading trawler forum we realised we bought a project Boat !! We have no regrets, we have learnt so much... cursed a lot, laughed a great deal more and learned a great deal more about ourselves.

Cant believe it is almost two years since we put Hot Chilli in water.

We have since rewired the whole 12v system before the switchboard, installed an 800amh lithium battery banks, added an additional 50A pronautic for a total of 100ah charging capacity.

We have a separate 25AH PN for our 3 starter batteries. We installed Victron DC to DC chargers between the old alternators and the Battery banks. We used Victron distribution gear and managed our Battery banks on our ipad via Bluetooth. We have re piped our potable water pump to our original copper system using PEX. Plus a whole bunch of smaller projects. We also re furbished the windlass, re piped the hydraulic steering circuit between the cylinder and auto pilot. (someone had used the bleeders to connect hoses)

We are working hard to defined minimum viable cruising requirements remembering the advice we read from the Dashew' and the Calder book sits front and center in our saloon. Every day we learn more.

We have set ourselves 2025 as a key year in which we determine our next step.

In the interim we are attempting to hone our cruising skills, continue to define MVP for our post 2025 cruising journey, ensure we spent 50% of our time on the boat and we put more than 200hrs on the engines each year.

R&C Hot Chilli

Cant dance faster than the music is playing :dance:

Last edited:
Welcome! We hope your voyages are as interesting as your experiences have been thus far!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Sounds like an awesome project.

Welcome from a fellow Aussie, based in Brisbane, although now living on Bribie Island, just north of there, so it's almost like being on a boat full-time, but with no boat maintenance. I like to think of the bridge as a large gangway onto my large vessel. :) Still participating, even though boat now sold. Great boating environment on TF.

Suggest PM Auscan, who is also based in Adelaide. I guess you'd both be moored somewhere near Glenelg.
Cheers, :flowers:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congratulations. Sounds like some fine upgrades you are doing!

Welcome from a fellow Aussie, based in Brisbane, although now living on Bribie Island, just north of there, so it's almost like being on a boat full-time, but with no boat maintenance. I like to think of the bridge as a large gangway onto my large vessel. :) Still participating, even though boat now sold. Great boating environment on TF.

Suggest PM Auscan, who is also based in Adelaide. I guess you'd both be moored somewhere near Glenelg.
Cheers, :flowers:

Peter
Thanks, we were living in Kangaroo point for about 4 years till 2018 before spending a year in Perth. I like your gang way.

Will reach out to Auscan, we are docked at the CYCSA in north haven. Look forward to staying in touch.

Ric

Welcome aboard and congratulations. Sounds like some fine upgrades you are doing!

It is an adventure, we created our wish list by for every system, eg electrics, electronics, plumbing systems, mechanical, mooring and anchors etc ... But a lot was reactive as we found things that stopped us from establishing Minimum viable short cruising capability.

Im 6'3 what was most annoying is the how little thought was given to previous owners repairs and updates. Often no thought given to location of new equipment and the need for future maintenance or the simple thought of ensuring enough future inspection access. :facepalm:

So whilst there was a lot of planning, lady luck often chose the next repair.

But there was crazy stuff like some storm destroyed bimini in the flybridge and was replaced by a very well rebuild. This is a 4mtrs biminin no small structure. Except that this structure is now higher than the radar dome. I can see boats 30mtrs to my port and Std and cannot see boats inside 150mtrs direct forward !!! :facepalm: so need to install a 24inch tower. No I'm not radar shortsighted anymore. I cant remember how many great tips i have gained from reading this forum. !!!

Welcome aboard. One thing is certain, your boat found the right owners! :)

Welcome Aboard. What RT said :)

Welcome Aboard. What RT said :)

Every boat is a project boat ... :) how true .... we are learning that our biggest enemy is scope creep ... :banghead:

We keep saying to ourselves sucess is hours cruising not hours docked making the beast better for the next owners !!!

Welcome Aboard! From sodden mouldy Sydney. With an old State Govt.

Let`s hope the "to do" list gets shorter and there`s no "strawberry punnet syndrome"(the deeper you go the worse it gets). And you break up the work with some some cruising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom