Old 05-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: bainbridge
Vessel Name: Betty L
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar
Introduction

Hello to all and thanks for the opportunity to participate in the Trawler Forum, which a friend told me would be my most valuable asset as a brand new novice boat owner.

I retired a few months ago, as a high school teacher, and my wife has allowed me to sink a few thousand dollars into an old trawler, which will be my passion to try and restore, and keep me from being under her feet all day.

I hope that I will be able to ask questions, and that my inexperience will not be too hard for you all to handle.

Bill
Kuncicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Are you remaining on Bainbridge? Where are you keeping her?
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. We will need photos...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
"Sinking a few thousand into an old Trawler". Mister, your few thousands are just beginning. There is a great article in this months "Passagemaker" about a fellow who bought a hardly used (literally 500 engine hours, still wrapped seat cushions, never lit oven or stove) 35 year old, boathouse kept 36 foot Grand Banks. He voluntarily did some fairly minor refitting on the boat. Almost all of it yard done. He spent $80,000.

Of course this story is an exception in that he hired everything done. He didn't lift a paintbrush or a wrench, but that was his choice. He intends to now keep it up himself.

But just be aware how quickly things can get out of hand.

Welcome Aboard and good luck at controlling expenses. It really can be done, and in fact can be done quite easily.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Welcome. You'll quickly find out (if you haven't noticed already) that boaters love to make wisecracks and offer dire warnings that boats are a constant money hemorrhage - but it's a pervasive habit because it's true. But it's a beautiful way to empty your checking account. When I cast off and move those throttle/shifters down and ease 600 horses and 26,000 lbs of boat out of our slip, I'm master of the universe. (Well, until a cross wind catches the stern and my wife yells watch out! and nearby boats run for their lives.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "... a friend told me would be my most valuable asset..." You need some new friends.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Welcome. Does it have a working engine, say, Ford Lehman 120? If so, all else will fall into place.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
"Sinking a few thousand into an old Trawler". Mister, your few thousands are just beginning.

But just be aware how quickly things can get out of hand.

Welcome Aboard and good luck at controlling expenses. It really can be done, and in fact can be done quite easily.

pete

There is so much in the budget each month for work on the boat, and when that is spent then there will not be any more until next month. I can control it, and if I can't, I know someone who will make sure I do.

Bill
Old 05-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Welcome. Does it have a working engine, say, Ford Lehman 120? If so, all else will fall into place.

Thanks for the welcome. It has a couple of old Perkins. Both work. The starboard starts easily and runs nicely. The port is a bit hard to start, but once it does start it runs nicely also.

A lot of instruments, such as the tachs, don't work. May just be wiring. Bilge is dry, and the bottom looks pretty good.

A lot of the work is going to be elbow grease. The deck will need to be redone, because it looks terrible. All wood needs to be varnished. The head doesn't work. Needs a new Bimini top, although the one on there now will serve until the budget allows for a new one.

So thanks again for the welcome, and I will ask for advice as things comes up.

Bill
Old 05-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Try bleeding the fuel system at the injector pump on that balky engine before hitting the starter to see if you starting issue might just be an air ingestion issue. If it starts quickly after running for a few minutes and being shut down, that might just be the issue.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Try bleeding the fuel system at the injector pump on that balky engine before hitting the starter to see if you starting issue might just be an air ingestion issue. If it starts quickly after running for a few minutes and being shut down, that might just be the issue.

Roger that. I'll try doing that the next time I am down there. Thanks.

Bill