Old 01-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoulio View Post
Hello! In my haste to post my first question, I now see I skipped the intro referred to, so Hi from BC.
I’m looking to buy a GB, Island Gypsy or ? Fiberglass Hull, . Really the GB 32 is what I want. I suspect I will become more active on this site once I narrow it down and buy one.
Geographic name jousting aside, some boat brand jousting is in order. No matter what your budget, I suggest you look at some more recent builds for comparison purposes such as the - Nordic Tug 32/34 or - American Tug 34 or - Ranger Tug 30.

Have you thought about an OB powered Al vessel? There are some really nice BC made ones. Good hunting!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Geographic name jousting aside, some boat brand jousting is in order. No matter what your budget, I suggest you look at some more recent builds for comparison purposes such as the - Nordic Tug 32/34 or - American Tug 34 or - Ranger Tug 30.

Have you thought about an OB powered Al vessel? There are some really nice BC made ones. Good hunting!
rhoulio
I agree with Sunchaser!

Being as the OP gave us little in the way of his boating history and his "boat shopping" history (maybe what I will say he has already done), I will say the following:
Take some time to investigate many boats (brands, models, types). Write lists such as must haves, nice to have, and absolutely don't want, (talking about boat features here) starting from a clear vision as to how you plan on using the boat. Don't just focus on asthetics, look carefully at functionality, access for and ease of maintenance, and also look for a boat that the current owner has "loved".
Grand Banks are great looking, well respected boats. But for me (personally), I would not want the "extra" maintenance (when compared to some other brands) of the beautiful exterior woodwork, the screwed down teak decks, etc. Many others love that kind of work, and to each his/her own!
Good luck on your search.
As to the geographic location issue, there are many names used for many different areas, some technically not correct, but they have gained "acceptance" due to being used almost universally (at least locally). Examples were given earlier like the Cariboo, Central Interior, or here the PNW, South Coast of BC, etc.

Frankly to me, the term Pacific Northwest (although technically probably really only Washington State), has come to be accepted by a lot of people to mean the "Pacific Northwest" area of the North American continent, and encompasses a very large geographic area. In the circles I move in, the term PNW is used (and accepted) far more often than the south coast of BC (which other than the weather forecasts, I hardly ever hear).
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
My one recommendation, don't get an outboard boat. In our area, Washington, BC and Alaska, dinghies are away of life, an almost must have. If you get a boat large enough you can have a crane and lift it to the deckhead but please note, many don't like this system as lifting a heavy dinghy & motor & stuff up in a heavy wind, ain't do fun and ditto a choppy sea. Check out the Seawise system for a good alternative and for it you need a swim deck. Outboards make more sense where people stay at marinas more and gunghole less.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #24

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Phractal and others - bing or google yachtworld Australia. That site still uses the “old” search interface and results in much more accurate results and has more flexibility to set up your search.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #25

City: Vancouver
Bingo😉
rhoulio is offline   Reply With Quote