I'm the Dutch man, not the flying one!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pascall

Vessel Name
Passi
Vessel Make
Hand made Barkas
I have decided to sign up here, the reason, because I am installing paravanes on the boat and have found useful information here on the forum.
Furthermore, my English is not of the level that I can write it down directly, so I work with a translator, hence my flawed writing style.
Another bit about myself, I am married and live in the southwest of the Netherlands, in the provncie Zeeland.
29 years ago we built a boat with which we have been sailing around for 26 years now.
We sail both the inland waterways as well as the North Sea and the Baltic Sea with the neighbouring Scandinavian countries.

Greet,

Pascal.

Welcome!!

Thank you!

I added a picture for the experience.
It is a typice Dutch boat, we built it in the garden so it is a real home built boat :lol:

fWziyj3.jpg

Welcome Aboard!
Your home built boat looks very professional.

Years back I owned a 26ft Nordic Folkboat, popular in Australia as a small seaworthy full keel sailboat. Sydney even had a racing fleet, slow but good fun to sail.

Welcome aboard! A fine looking boat! I never would have guessed that it was home-built!

Hi, welcome TF!

Nice Trawler model, bridge clearance is good and gives freedom to choose inland routes freely. With what draft does he travel?

NBs

Welkom Pascal.

Als mede Nederlander ben ik hier ook op de site beland, zeer veel nuttige informatie en zeer veel kennis aanwezig. Mooie boot en wanneer dat eigenbouw is geweest dan is dat vakmanschap. Knap gedaan. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sorry guys, had to reply in Dutch to a fellow Dutchman, but from now on only English again.

Thanks people for the compliment!
The design is by Lammert Huitema, we bought the drawing package and obtained the license to build one boat.

Welkom Pascal.

Als mede Nederlander ben ik hier ook op de site beland, zeer veel nuttige informatie en zeer veel kennis aanwezig. Mooie boot en wanneer dat eigenbouw is geweest dan is dat vakmanschap. Knap gedaan. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sorry guys, had to reply in Dutch to a fellow Dutchman, but from now on only English again.

Kijk aan, leuk!

Bedankt voor het compliment, het is een Passie en de boot heet dan ook Passi, al is het dan wel geschreven zonder E.
Zijn de eerste letters onze voornamen van Pascal en Sigrid.
Maar niet meer woonachtig in Nederland?

En weer door in het English

Hi, welcome TF!

Nice Trawler model, bridge clearance is good and gives freedom to choose inland routes freely. With what draft does he travel?

NBs

Hi, the draft is one meter.

Kijk aan, leuk!

Bedankt voor het compliment, het is een Passie en de boot heet dan ook Passi, al is het dan wel geschreven zonder E.
Zijn de eerste letters onze voornamen van Pascal en Sigrid.
Maar niet meer woonachtig in Nederland?

En weer door in het English

The double meaning of the name of your boat is a clever idea ! And since it was also built with passion it is even more befitting.

I left Holland about 35 years ago, lived all over the place, but mostly in the Caribbean. Now we are moving to the Med, bought ourselves a boat in Greece and will use it to travel the area of Venice, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece and perhaps Turkey for the next couple of years. We will spend about 7 to 8 months on the boat each year (depending on the weather conditions) and the rest of the time we will spend in a place where we can find sun. The Dutch weather is not really for us anymore, we are used to somewhat better weather. :)

Pascal
Welcome aboard TF and thanks for the boat picture.
It sure is a fine looking vessel and I agree it looks very professional.

Pascal
Welcome aboard TF and thanks for the boat picture.
It sure is a fine looking vessel and I agree it looks very professional.

We did our best during construction to build the ship as professionally as possible.
Engine room can be closed completely waterproof, this is necessary because the engine is positioned under the floor outside.
The advantage part to place the engine outside is that the noise in the wheelhouse is up to 57db and the engine is easily accessible.
The boat is built on comfort, so everything can be operated from the captain seat.
There is a separate room for electronics, water tanks, diesel tanks, pumping stations and other things.

The double meaning of the name of your boat is a clever idea ! And since it was also built with passion it is even more befitting.

I left Holland about 35 years ago, lived all over the place, but mostly in the Caribbean. Now we are moving to the Med, bought ourselves a boat in Greece and will use it to travel the area of Venice, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece and perhaps Turkey for the next couple of years. We will spend about 7 to 8 months on the boat each year (depending on the weather conditions) and the rest of the time we will spend in a place where we can find sun. The Dutch weather is not really for us anymore, we are used to somewhat better weather. :)

Wow that sounds very good!
The Mediterranean sea is still on the bucket list!
As for the weather in the Netherlands, from 2018 we have insanely beautiful summers that are comparable to summer in the Mediterranean!

Welkom aan boord, Pascal, and what a fine, sturdy looking vessel. She is a credit to her designer and to her builder. I hope to learn more from your experience.

Welkom aan boord, Pascal, and what a fine, sturdy looking vessel. She is a credit to her designer and to her builder. I hope to learn more from your experience.

Thank you for the compliment!

Greeting

Pascal

Wow that sounds very good!
The Mediterranean sea is still on the bucket list!
As for the weather in the Netherlands, from 2018 we have insanely beautiful summers that are comparable to summer in the Mediterranean!

Am currently still in the Med, Corfu to be exact. Weather is still very nice, 23 degrees (C) during the day, but bit fresh at night. It is calm however, great weather to be out on the water.
Unfortunately we are on the dry, changing the engines.
Good part is that the season is basically from beginning April until mid November, great sailing weather.

Am currently still in the Med, Corfu to be exact. Weather is still very nice, 23 degrees (C) during the day, but bit fresh at night. It is calm however, great weather to be out on the water.
Good part is that the season is basically from beginning April until mid November, great sailing weather.

Okay, that's a big intervention to install new engines.
Do you let it be done or do you do it yourself?
As far as the weather in the Netherlands is concerned, as I said before, the climate is changing.
Last 10 years I have not had to prepare the boat for winter.
From 2017 the summers are beautiful, even now it is still above 20 degrees here, unbelievable!

Pascal.

The concern should be, this is the new normal.

Welcome Aboard!

Beautiful Boat.

I know nothing about Paravanes but I do know there is a lot of discussion about them, you will find lots of information here.

BTW, don't worry about your english, spelling or grammar. Nobody here will criticize you for any mistakes dealing with a "second language".

pete

Welcome Aboard!

Beautiful Boat.

BTW, don't worry about your english, spelling or grammar. Nobody here will criticize you for any mistakes dealing with a "second language".

Agreed. The OP's language is perfectly understandable and much better than my Dutch. :D

Later,
Dan

Okay, that's a big intervention to install new engines.
Do you let it be done or do you do it yourself?

Pascal.

Unfortunately the work is too heavy for one person, so I hired a company that takes the engines out and puts them back in again. Had to empty half the boat in order to get to the hatches and be able to open them.

The engines themselves I got from motorenrevisie De Schiffart in Minnertsga. They are specialized in Ford Lehman engines. I gave them my old engines and they gave me overhauled engines in return. And of course I had to give them some money as well. :)
Unfortunately the whole process is taking forever. The transport is taking much longer than anticipated, we are now already in week 4. The boat is still on the dry, but good part is that it gives me time to do a lot of other maintenance work. That work was planned for next year or even the year after, but now it gets done at the same time. Biggest part is the complete rewiring of the boat. The old wires were falling apart and the set up did not make any sense, so found some electricians who will do the job during the winter time. Boat should be ready to take out to sea mid march again.

Having just rebuilt my Ford Lehman I'm curious about the cost of your exchange, sounds like transportation will be a factor.

pete

Welcome Dutchman - beautiful boat! Not to worry ... Your English much better than my Dutch...!! Everyone here speaks "Boat" and pictures!

welkom kerel

hee wij hebben een bek blok uit 1930

Yes this was Dutch...As Dutch person I have encountered some issues with the US Coastguard , regarding safety equipment.
While the Dutch Coast guard accepted that equipment

The USCG would Not accept that my wooden shoes would be good enough as a life saver. I kept stating "But if the boat sinks..I just put on my wooden shoes and I calk back to land over water"

Should I just show it to them next time ?

:)

why not go electric ? generator, electric propulsion?

Have to have ligfhts and whistles

welkom kerel

hee wij hebben een bek blok uit 1930

Yes this was Dutch...As Dutch person I have encountered some issues with the US Coastguard , regarding safety equipment.
While the Dutch Coast guard accepted that equipment

The USCG would Not accept that my wooden shoes would be good enough as a life saver. I kept stating "But if the boat sinks..I just put on my wooden shoes and I calk back to land over water"

Should I just show it to them next time ?

:)

Great this humor!
Let me say this, I will never sail out without wooden shoes again!
Greeting

Pascal.

Back
Top Bottom