Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

City: Granville TN
Howdy from Tennessee

Hey y'all! Just came on board and wanted to say hi from the hills of Tennessee. We have been houseboaters for the last six years, 85 Gibson 44. Been on the water for the last 35 years or so. We are getting close to retirement and looking to sell the houseboat and move on to a trawler. You know sell the farm and live on the boat. Here in the summer and move south in the winter... I just found this forum today so will be busy looking over past posts and have plenty to ask.
Hidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Welcome aboard.

Sd
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Hello Hidro, Beautiful country up there in them hills. Supply plenty of pictures and show these East and West Coasters what the middle looks like. Welcome. Paul
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Welcome Hidro from another Tennessean. We have a few with boats in Tennessee. Black Sheep and Woodsong come to mind. You will find the waters fine here.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Good to be here. We are at the upper most marina on the Cumberland River. Cordell Hull Lake is a hidden gem, but dont tell anybody. Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Guru

Welcome. I'm from Iowa but do know a bit about Tennessee. It is beautiful country down your way. I bought my boat in Tennessee a couple of years ago. Came from Rock Harbor on the Cumberland in Nashville. I know a bit about Cardell Hull Lake also. My son was going to Tenn Tech last year. I had dinner at the Grandville Marina last spring, when I was down to bring my son home at the end of the spring semester. Looked like wonderful water. Someday, maybe I'll run the boat back down there. Where do you dock?
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Hi Capn Craig We are at Granville Marina. We may have ran into each other. You should put the trip in your cruising plans for the future. Be sure and let me know when you plan on coming.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Unless you plan on venturing farther than the Bahamas...you may consider keeping the houseboat unless fuel burn and many miles a year becomes a concern.

Most coastal cruising in that houseboat is great as many do it every year.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #9

You are so right about the houseboat being good for cruising the rivers. We spend most weekends on the hook. The windows open with flow thru ventilation is awesome. We have friends with cruiser type boats that burn up at night due to the lack of windows. However we would like to do the loop, venture out into the big water at times and the Gibson isnt built for that. We are shopping for something that fits all of our needs. I would also like to have diesel power instead of gasoline due to all of the advantages (safety and reliability).
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
You might be suprised where many take Gibsons and what they can handle with a prudent skipper.

Taking one to the Bahamas isn't out of the question and gas engines are safe and reliable with proper maintenance and precautions.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #11

Ah so true. I know how human nature is; we see, so we do. However I work in an industry where safety is number one and that has carried over into my everyday life. As you say the Gibson is a hearty and well built houseboat, but even tho it floats well and is mechanically ship shape, I know it is not meant to go out into the ocean. Im proud of the savy skippers that have made the trip to the Bahamas in a boat that was made for river travel or what most do, stay tied to the dock, but I for one will not be one of them.
This has been a fine first boat. We have learned a lot with it and had much fun and many fond memories of travels in it, but we are graduating on to one that will not limit us to where we can go. After all the new craft will not only be our home, but a door way to a new adventure. Thanks for the advice and making me feel welcome here. Cheers. Glen
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #12

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
Well, not to far away in Crossville. But have boated on the Tennessee River on Watts Bar Lake for over 35 years...
Now have our boat in Titusville, FL, getting ready to head down to the Keyes.
If I can help in any way with information about coming down, just let me know.
we've done the Tenn/Tom about 5 times and have kept our boat on the Florida West coast off and on since 2000.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
Well, not to far away in Crossville. But have boated on the Tennessee River on Watts Bar Lake for over 35 years...
Now have our boat in Titusville, FL, getting ready to head down to the Keyes.
If I can help in any way with information about coming down, just let me know.
we've done the Tenn/Tom about 5 times and have kept our boat on the Florida West coast off and on since 2000.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Moonstruck is at Ft. Pierce. I plan to be on the boat from about the 1st through the 10th. If coming through and need anything just shout. We will have a car there.

Where have you kept your boat on the West coast? We have also spent a lot of time over there.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #14

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
Don,
We've spent out time at Twin Dolphin Marina in Bradenton. We really enjoy it there with the floating docks, pool, hot tub, the nicest showers we've found, near the Manatee Playhouse, South Florida Museam, neat little 'Old Main Street', good food, and of course, our 2 daughters and 5 grandchildren.
We'll be back over there sometime after the Keyes and Bahamas in May or June.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
Don,
We've spent out time at Twin Dolphin Marina in Bradenton. We really enjoy it there with the floating docks, pool, hot tub, the nicest showers we've found, near the Manatee Playhouse, South Florida Museam, neat little 'Old Main Street', good food, and of course, our 2 daughters and 5 grandchildren.
We'll be back over there sometime after the Keyes and Bahamas in May or June.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Twin Dolphins is a good choice. I like downtown marinas that are close to many activities. Fort Pierce City Marina is like that. We can even see the gym from out dock. When you head down check it out.

I was a member of Bradenton Yacht Club for many years. Just dropped my membership when moving over to the East coast for awhile. We have also had extended stays at Venice, and Gasparilla Marina near Boca Grande. SW Florida is one of the best cruising areas.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Welcome to the forums Hidro! We have our boat(s) on the TN River just near Chattanooga. Welcome to the forums!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Tupelo,Ms
Vessel Name: Jolly Time
Vessel Model: 36' Uniflite Sport Sedan
Welcome Hidro! I'm on the Tenn Tom @ Midway Marina. Give me a shout out on your way down! Jolly Time
21' Mastercraft Prostar
Jolly Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #18

Thanks guys. Seems like a great forum with lots of info and knowledge out here. Woodsong, I was just in your area this week, Performance Propellor tuned up a set of props for me. Cheers!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidro View Post
Thanks guys. Seems like a great forum with lots of info and knowledge out here. Woodsong, I was just in your area this week, Performance Propellor tuned up a set of props for me. Cheers!
Hidro, I live in Chattanooga one block from the waterfront. Next time you are in town, give me a call; and we'll grab a sandwich or something.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #20

OK Don I will take you up on that offer. Wm I think we chatted on Cruisers Forum in the past. I think you told me about Allegiant Air. Wish we were spending the winter in the keys. Maybe in a few more years...Enjoy that warm air.