Howdy from Houston/Galveston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Victor_Chat

Vessel Name
Sea Catsle
Vessel Make
1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
New to this forum and a larger boat. Bought a 1973 Gulfstar Mark 1 43 trawler to get an idea on how boating life is like. She was in bad shape, but had "good bones". It's been over 18 months with her and she's looking pretty good. Trying to keep a good picture history of our progress and you can follow along at Our family photo album/Fleet/Gulfstar Renovation

We keep Sangria Nites in the Galveston Yacht basin, if you're around say hi!

Nice job, great documentation, thanks for sharing and welcome.

She looks great! If you head east let me know, I keep my boat in Houma, LA just off the GICW.
Steve W

Hi from just up the bay!

The Fringe Benefit is docked in Clear Lake, if you are headed up the bay sometime send along a message. Your boat looks great!

Sangria Nites, I like that name. Welcome. I too, am a little north in Clear Lake. I've had my boat for six weeks and looking at your photos eases the pain from the little work I had to do, but I must say you've done a great job and thanks for the great photos. Enjoy your boat. john

Hey, welcome aboard! I have a '73 Gulfstar 36, and your 43 does not look all that different, actually, from the picture. Have you defined what boating life is like after 18 months??? It has always seemed to me that it is different things to different people (like happiness).

John

Welcome aboard

I have a 36 Mainship Aft Cabin and a 39 Allied Ketch on Clear Lake
The Mainship is at Blue Dolpjin Marina in Seabrook and the Allied is in Marina Del Sol in Kemah.

Thanks all! It has been and will keep being a bit of work. It does pay to do research and ask around. You definitely, like anywhere else, need to be able to sift through the information and make decisions. It's also good to find good companies that will help you along. Not to mention the kind words and knowledge here!

BTW, if you didn't see the before pictures, you can see them here.

Last edited:
Speaking of Sangria, here is my favorite

Sangria
Ingredients:
2- bottles dry Red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon
1 cup Sugar
3-4 oz plain Brandy or rum (optional)
1 large Lemon, sliced
1 large Orange sliced
1 large Apple, cut into thin sections.
2 cups Orange juice

Mixing instructions:
Mix all the above in a large container, stir, and let sit
in the refrigerator for 18-24 hours. When you are ready
to serve it mix 1/2 of the mix and 1/2 7 UP, Sprite or
plain soda water in a glass with ice. (If you use Seven Up
or Sprite use 1/2 cup sugar, or less, than above)
This is great for a hot afternoon`s barbeque!
Steve W

A bit of a late update, in March we found our next boat, a 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish. We are in the final processes of remodeling our 1973 Gulfstar Mark 1 and will put it up for sale soon. If you have any questions please let me know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom