Old 05-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #1

City: Naples
Vessel Model: looking around that 35 foot size
Exclamation Hi from Reid and Sue

Retired now in Naples Fla - looking at purchasing a boat for longer trips (we are avid rv trailer types with small Airstream and teardrop) so we want to move some of those adventures to water. I don't know if a trawler would be final answer - partly because there are destinations not that far that we would want to go often and make a quick trip, such as, Key West to the south and places as far as St Pete to the north.

So that is the starting point with my many needs for information - it appears there is a strict definition for trawler but that it has broadened over time. One boat that has interested us is a Beneteau Antares 11 - I could say it looks (somewhat) like a trawler (for all you fans of the movie Best in Show).

I guess i should start with my first question so I can start to get to know others - why would i want or not want the upper bridge - I know the lack of helps me get under bridges (wow).

Thanks for putting up with me in advance and especially thank you for anytime you spend helping me - so many have already by posting comments in the threads.
Randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I wouldn't be without my flybridge. You being down south might want to consider an enclosed one with air conditioning. A flybridge doubles your entertainment space.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
The answer is personal preference. I wouldn’t be with out one but then I don’t have any bridges to worry about.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Lots of unasked questions.
How many folks will be onboard for these extended trips?
Beneteau Antares 11 You are going with outboards? Gas or diesel?
The interior pictures, hanging closet space is enough for the extend trips?

A bit of humor: Fly bridge or no fly bridge? An observation, the A/C, head and food are in the inside of the boat.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

it timed during my long reply and lost it - i will reply again but need to regroup - thanks
Old 05-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
Guru

Type, save and return to edit to add more. Do over until you are happy.
I think less that 10 mins to edit.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! By all means get a boat with a flying bridge for South Florida and the Bahamas! There are just not that many bridges you’ll encounter and the view from the bridge is spectacular. It will help you pick your way through shallow water also. I almost never ran my boat from below. My wife and I once had a turtle lead us through a channel. We would never have seen him from inside.

As for speed look at some of the trawler like semi displacement boats out there. You can slow down to increase range or open them up to 15 to 20:knots to save time.

Shallow draft is important in Florida as well. I wouldn’t want to draw more than about four feet in South Florida.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #9

just wife and I especially if over many days or weeks - for long weekend another couple that understands things - like shore power; generators; investors; even solar - water and waste - fridgration - we have experience in these things from rv camping with a small 16 foot rv (storage too) - food storage - actually we have done 7 to 8 week trips with teardrop

two gas 300's but the generator is diesel i believe - i have been looking at so many - told need two - three if more risky type in bad weather anything more is show at least what i am told

owned basically ski boats on inland lakes and chains forever but no salt experience except others and rentals over last 5 years - in old days did some maintenance including rebuilding a lower unit in driveway - also, use to maintain cars and owned cottage so some experience with needing to do maintenance - did get stuck on far side of tahoe once and had to tie to buoy swim out hitch around lake and come back in morning for boat - didnt notice slight afternoon breeze building waves around point

enjoy messaging and learning - hoping i am somewhat prepared but know lots to learn

thanks for your time
Old 05-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #10

sorry missed word change inverter not investor

and if someone could give some feedback - if i cannot have lift - i am told to hire diver maybe once a month during summer to clean bottom - also, told bottom can be wrapped now too - however, which has which pros and cons a fixed or floating mooring
Old 05-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
Guru

Just took a look at the Beneteau web site. Other than being ugly as sin (to me) it looks like a good boat for South Florida.

Some must haves for me in South Florida.

Air conditioning and a generator to power it. You live in Naples, no explanation needed. No you can’t run the air conditioner on batteries. This could be a deal breaker for the Beneteau, I don’t see a generator offered as an option.

A remotely controlled anchor windlass so I can launch and retrieve the anchor from the helm. Failing that at least an anchor wench in a bikini.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
Guru

Naples what?

Floating or fixed??? Well designed float in pretty good for storm surges if the poles are tall enough.
Diver once a month
Wash the boat once a month and wax it once a year.
I would look into matching the fuel to the generator. Diesel is best. I hate to ride a gasoline bomb.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #13
Guru

HopCar, some of the larger outboards have generators to provide for battery charging, lights etc.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:23 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Naples what?
I think you meant Naples where..? Old Dan..? And I agree. It irks me a bit that there still appears to be an automatic assumption with most new members that this is a North American only forum. If memory serves, there is a somewhat more well-known Naples not in Florida..?

I keep asking folk to fill in more detail in their profile. I even send some PMs suggesting this. They tend to be ignored. What does one do..? Sigh...
Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think you meant Naples where..? Old Dan..? And I agree. It irks me a bit that there still appears to be an automatic assumption with most new members that this is a North American only forum. If memory serves, there is a somewhat more well-known Naples not in Florida..?

I keep asking folk to fill in more detail in their profile. I even send some PMs suggesting this. They tend to be ignored. What does one do..? Sigh...
He did say Naples Fla in his first sentence.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
'Naples Fla" kinda gives it away.
I have a FB but would happily not have one.
The Beneteau Antares concept is good, no comment on the aesthetics. But I will on hull construction, check if it is cored(ie not solid f/glass) below the waterline. I think it is, that would be a negative, for me. Nickname here for Beneteau sailboats is "Bendy".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #17
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randsfl View Post
I guess i should start with my first question so I can start to get to know others - why would i want or not want the upper bridge - I know the lack of helps me get under bridges (wow).

We find visibility is much better from a flying bridge, even better than from most raised pilothouses, and way better than from an un-raised (?) lower helm station.

And then... I probably spend 75% of my waking/relaxing time on the bridge, too... watching the water go by, if nothing else.

-Chris
Old 05-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #18

its more a wife thing in way

but thanks to all posts she is coming more aboard with thinking - there is a size thing that is effecting her thinking and i think a little style but recently when we went out on 52 footer she spent a most of time on flying bridge some on front deck

but also it reminded us when we took kids to san juan islands and rented a captained boat (for 6 days) out of port angeles - we spent all cruising time on flying bridge - the whole family - only time we where below including the captain was when docking
Old 05-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #19
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Parks said it best, and he's very experienced with boating in FL..

I'm just to the north in St. Pete.

Wouldn't be without a fly bridge EVER! Most of the bridges are a non issue on the west coast (east coast, too).

Absolutely generator and AC on the boat.

I bottom clean twice a month, but I'm in a shallow, warm water spot with little water movement.

If time is a factor and need some speed, buy accordingly. Most trawlers are slow (but works fine for some). But if you have time, your range is easily doable with a slow boat. And and economical, single engine, mid 30s trawler does have some advantages.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #20
Guru

2 couples, 2 staterooms unless they are comfortable on the converted bench seat.
When my sweetie's folks came in from Vietnam, I gave up the only stateroom to them. Reason? I wake early and rattle around the saloon. Yen and I used the pull out berth in the saloon.
The American Tug has two doors to the head. One in the stateroom and one at the base of the stairs. I told them to keep the stateroom door close so we didn't wake them when using the head.