Hi from Prospective Californian Trawler Buyer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBoat

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Layla
Vessel Make
1979 34' Californian LRC
Hi there Trawler Forum!
Been browsing the Californian section of the forum intensely for the last week while in the process of making an offer on a 1979 34' Californian LRC out of Oceanside California. I thought I should join in on the fun here on the forum. The only boat we have owned so far is a 12' Zodiac with a 6hp Yamaha motor so this trawler is a huge step for us!!!

Just had our inspection, sea trial and haul-out inspection. In general this boat seems it good condition being 41 years old, but I had some questions:

1. The inspectors mentioned that the sea strainers for the engine cooling systems were not mounted properly being mounted horizontally right at the shutoff valve at the bottom of the boat. Has anyone remounted these in a better position? If so where?

2. This boat has the 185hp Perkins Diesel with the Turbos. There was some oil around the Turbo. The engine inspector wasn't too concerned. There were a few other corroded items and maintenance that should be addressed, but they ran great. Any suggestions for these engines?

3. Has anyone added (or heard of someone adding) a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) to the Perkins Engine exhaust to reduce the diesel emissions?

I have more questions for future posts....

Warm Regards,
-Dave D

Dave
You may want to read the current thread about a sister ship owner's concerns regarding Perkins' manifolds.

Welcome aboard. You probably are not going to be able to do much about the emissions. They are 30+ year old engines, just live with it as long as it runs well. Hope it works out for you. The manifolds are available just pricey.

Back
Top Bottom