Old 01-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #21

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizif View Post
The Hatt 43 is a beauty ! Is yours an aft? That's one that's on the wish list.
Wifey is good on the boat, she handles the lines and fenders like a champ, that is when I dont screw up too bad
Yes, aft cabin. Like all boats, it’s a collection of compromises, but overall it suits us, and we’re really happy with it.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #22

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Welcome!!

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #23

City: Pembroke
Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
Vessel Model: 2760 Regal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Yes, aft cabin. Like all boats, it’s a collection of compromises, but overall it suits us, and we’re really happy with it.
Ive seen a few online with detroit's, is yours detroit's,and if so are you happy with them?
kizif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #24

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizif View Post
Ive seen a few online with detroit's, is yours detroit's,and if so are you happy with them?
No, 3208T’s, 302hp variant, and we’re very happy with them. We’re fair weather, hull speed cruisers, so the low HP doesn’t bother us; if we’re trying to outrun a squall line, we can coax it up to maybe 15 or 16 knots. We get good fuel economy (2 1/4 mpg) at hull speed, they’re relatively quiet, and are easy to work on.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
No, 3208T’s, 302hp variant, and we’re very happy with them. We’re fair weather, hull speed cruisers, so the low HP doesn’t bother us; if we’re trying to outrun a squall line, we can coax it up to maybe 15 or 16 knots. We get good fuel economy (2 1/4 mpg) at hull speed, they’re relatively quiet, and are easy to work on.
Sounds like your on my dream boat, just drop it off for me in Ottawa.
take a check?
I like the hatts and tollys, I love the classic timeless look.
Just have to find one in good shape that fits our budget
Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: Here
Just about any diesel powered boat is quite capable of the type of cruising you describe. No need to look for an "offshore" boat. Between Ottawa and the Abacos you only have two open water passages of around 50 miles. ... Across Lake Ontario to Oswego and then From Florida to West End. The only unavoidable ocean work is about four hrs. from New York Harbour then you can go back inside at Masasquan.

We started out with a 37' trawler and it was amazing. grand kids came along and we needed more space so went up to 47'. We are now back to 38'. We found that the bigger boat locked us out of too many of our favourite anchorages and marinas.

Then we get into the while twin/single thing. 22,000 hrs cruising since 1994 on a single and only had to be towed in once. Our fuel cost on our 38' single from the Abacos home to Toronto this year was $1300US.

This one is a little dated but you might find it interesting. Primer For First Timers Heading South
Lots to consider.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Fredonia
Vessel Name: SEA FOX
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship Trawler
Welcome aboard. i am new on here to less then a year . There is a lot of good info on here again Welcome Aboard BR
Bill The kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #28

City: Bellingham, WA
Boat for Ontario to Bahamas

You didn't mention issues like budget, etc., and you'll probably want to take the Intercoastal, so draft is a concern. My boat was a 43' Tolly, but they're fairly rare (only 40-45 built), not too many East. They're also getting old, and very hard to ship, flybridge is too high.
Since you're already East, have you thought of the only-produced-for-a-few-years 43' Sabrelines built in Maine? Twin Diesel, good profiles for both slow and relatively fast running, US-built, and seem to have depreciated a lot, but settling now in price since they came out of production. They knocked off most of the 43 Tolly layout, but with modern windows, doors, and some good layout improvements. Wonderful engine room!
Another fine boat but a little smaller, built in Canada if you want a good one (earlier ones were built in China and Latin America and weren't great) is the 36' Monk, a single Cummins Diesel but bow thrusters were standard. Slightly constricting aft cabin bed headroom but owners love them.
Obviously, I'm a dual-cabin layout lover like the GB 42's, and a lot of older ones (1993 or so after they were widened) are priced within this universe, but if I could afford it, I'd get a boat that uses even more-modern fittings with the better space use that modern design technology affords.
Hope this adds to your thinking with expanding the confusion.
The Bellingham Yacht Club has a good "Boat Buyer's Checklist" piece I wrote a while back you might find useful. It is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boat Buyer's Checklist.pdf (63.0 KB, 13 views)
chartervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartervet View Post
You didn't mention issues like budget, etc., and you'll probably want to take the Intercoastal, so draft is a concern. My boat was a 43' Tolly, but they're fairly rare (only 40-45 built), not too many East. They're also getting old, and very hard to ship, flybridge is too high.
Since you're already East, have you thought of the only-produced-for-a-few-years 43' Sabrelines built in Maine? Twin Diesel, good profiles for both slow and relatively fast running, US-built, and seem to have depreciated a lot, but settling now in price since they came out of production. They knocked off most of the 43 Tolly layout, but with modern windows, doors, and some good layout improvements. Wonderful engine room!
Another fine boat but a little smaller, built in Canada if you want a good one (earlier ones were built in China and Latin America and weren't great) is the 36' Monk, a single Cummins Diesel but bow thrusters were standard. Slightly constricting aft cabin bed headroom but owners love them.
Obviously, I'm a dual-cabin layout lover like the GB 42's, and a lot of older ones (1993 or so after they were widened) are priced within this universe, but if I could afford it, I'd get a boat that uses even more-modern fittings with the better space use that modern design technology affords.
Hope this adds to your thinking with expanding the confusion.
The Bellingham Yacht Club has a good "Boat Buyer's Checklist" piece I wrote a while back you might find useful. It is attached.
Thanks for the info, I have not picked out a boat yet. We have just started the process of downsizing. So that being said, Im not sure what the budget will be for the purchase. Think around 100,000 cad will probably be the number + or - .
Thanks for your input on these boats, I will check them out. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. There is a lot to learn. When I get to the point that im going to buy, I will post here so people with experience can guide me along.