Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Montrťal
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Hi from Montreal...

Hello everyone,
First off all thanks to everyone who is behind this forum and shares his time and experience with us. Iím absolutely new to the boating world who started reading this forum last February. So interesting and so much information I spent 3 to 4 hrs everyday here for the last 3 months. Iíve got my pleasure boat licence last week and today (very excited) we took a look at the first boat (1981 Campion 30 Mercruiser v6 trawler) and we have another boat to look at next Tuesday (1992 Prowler 30ft two cabin twin Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one drive). I decided to go with no longer than 30ft as a first boat as so far I have zero experience and plan to do only the local cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
__________________
Advertisement

Adam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam88 View Post
Hello everyone,
First off all thanks to everyone who is behind this forum and shares his time and experience with us. Iím absolutely new to the boating world who started reading this forum last February. So interesting and so much information I spent 3 to 4 hrs everyday here for the last 3 months. Iíve got my pleasure boat licence last week and today (very excited) we took a look at the first boat (1981 Campion 30 Mercruiser v6 trawler) and we have another boat to look at next Tuesday (1992 Prowler 30ft two cabin twin Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one drive). I decided to go with no longer than 30ft as a first boat as so far I have zero experience and plan to do only the local cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Bienvenue a bord!
Instead of limiting you to a length, choose a boat that fit your needs.
Mine is 30 feet and perfect for the two of us but just depends on what will be your cruising style.

L
__________________

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
Guru
 
City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 28 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,399
Bonjour. Use to live in St. Lambert, actually Preville, but a looooooooooong time ago. I had the good fortune to live in Montreal for Expo 67, I lived at the fair almost everyday.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #4
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,073
Welcome aboard.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
Member
 
City: Jacksonville
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 14
Welcome aboard, best of luck on your boat hunt and purchase. Montreal was my home town as well. Lived on St Urban and in Outremont within walking distance to St Viateur Bagels. Best bagels in Canada and possibly North America. Was back a few years ago for more. I had the summer pass at Expo 67 and was there many day as well. Great memories. I look forward to my next visit and hopefully by trawler next year.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
Guru
 
firehoser75's Avatar
 
City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,332
Bonjour Adam, and welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with these boats or engines, but a quick search showed me that these engines may need rebuilds as soon as the 2000 hour mark (apparently even if well maintained?).
My point would be, do some research before purchase, some due diligence, to ensure you are not buying into a larger expense than you anticipated.
Most of all, go out and enjoy boating!!
__________________
Tom
Nanaimo, BC
firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,645
Bonjour,
Bienvenue a bord, aussi.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,193
Welcome to TF. Remember we like pictures.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,567
Howdy from the year-round boating area. 30-footers RULE!
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,565
Personally I would not limit myself to 30 feet. But I would not prefer an I/O

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam88 View Post
Hello everyone,
First off all thanks to everyone who is behind this forum and shares his time and experience with us. Iím absolutely new to the boating world who started reading this forum last February. So interesting and so much information I spent 3 to 4 hrs everyday here for the last 3 months. Iíve got my pleasure boat licence last week and today (very excited) we took a look at the first boat (1981 Campion 30 Mercruiser v6 trawler) and we have another boat to look at next Tuesday (1992 Prowler 30ft two cabin twin Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one drive). I decided to go with no longer than 30ft as a first boat as so far I have zero experience and plan to do only the local cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
If in good condition those may not be bad choices, but I assume you're selecting those based on budget.

Let's talk the pros and cons. Cons first. They're both stern drives and a 20 year and 30 year old stern drive may be very near the end of it's life and require a replacement. They're gas and most here prefer diesel. Their resale value might be near zero.

Now, the pros. You're trying to just get started with some local boating. I started with gas stern drives on the lake and learned a lot that way. They are decent options to start your boating career. They should have already been greatly reduced in price so minimal amount to lose on them.

Now, people will say it's not worth getting a survey in that price range. I'd disagree and say at the very least you need someone really checking the engines out.

Both are decent brands for starter boats, primarily for lake or inland use.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Montrťal
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Wow, Thanks for all your answers...
So first of all is about my budget, I don't really want to go higher than 25k for the first boat as I don't yet know how my wife and the kids will love it. If they really do I would be ok for an upgrade in a couple of years. I wish I could find a single diesel trawler but this is almost near to impossible in my area especially with my budget. The best scenario is to find something in a good mechanical shape with maybe some minor reparations needed. I do really like Campion 30 trawler and the boat we looked at has a replaced Mercruiser 4.3 V6 with around 700hrs on it but there is no electronic at all and some fiberglass repairs were poorly done. ( I do understand it's a 40 years old vessel) All this for 23k.
1992 Prowler 30ft sundeck is for 18k . Will take a look at it Tuesday. My wife likes two cabin and separate shower options. I'm aware about Alpha drive and 1300hrs on the twin Mercruiser 4.3 engines as I understand this is close to their normal life. Found some interesting deals south of the border but I don't think this is viable option for this season thanks to covid.
Adam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam88 View Post
Wow, Thanks for all your answers...
So first of all is about my budget, I don't really want to go higher than 25k for the first boat as I don't yet know how my wife and the kids will love it. If they really do I would be ok for an upgrade in a couple of years. I wish I could find a single diesel trawler but this is almost near to impossible in my area especially with my budget. The best scenario is to find something in a good mechanical shape with maybe some minor reparations needed. I do really like Campion 30 trawler and the boat we looked at has a replaced Mercruiser 4.3 V6 with around 700hrs on it but there is no electronic at all and some fiberglass repairs were poorly done. ( I do understand it's a 40 years old vessel) All this for 23k.
1992 Prowler 30ft sundeck is for 18k . Will take a look at it Tuesday. My wife likes two cabin and separate shower options. I'm aware about Alpha drive and 1300hrs on the twin Mercruiser 4.3 engines as I understand this is close to their normal life. Found some interesting deals south of the border but I don't think this is viable option for this season thanks to covid.
You don't need to restrict yourself to mtl area. I got mine from lake ontario and cruised it back, no big deal. One thing I would keep in mind with gas engines of this size is how thirsty they are as here gas is not cheap (well it is now but for how long).

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
Member
 
City: Montrťal
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Prowler comes with fully enclosed canvas, two full electronic pilot stations, all security equipment, hard top on the sundeck and as per owner is in a very good mechanical shape. In the same time a lot of this kind of boats (Prowler Carver) presently are on the market here and as I see it's not easy to sell it. Will give my feedback Tuesday afternoon.....
Cheers.
Adam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Member
 
City: Montrťal
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
You don't need to restrict yourself to mtl area. I got mine from lake ontario and cruised it back, no big deal. One thing I would keep in mind with gas engines of this size is how thirsty they are as here gas is not cheap (well it is now but for how long).

L
I try to not to, but with my experience I'll probably have to hire someone to bring it close to my marina. As for fuel consumption for beginning I plan to use it for local cruising on weekends only and if we really like it as I wrote before we will be ready for an upgrade....
Adam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,645
Bonjour,
M. 88. Have you considered renting a boat for a week or two? Yes, it will cost $$ BUT it will be a LOT cheaper than actually buying a boat and have your family not like it. This will also give you a bit of experience AND perhaps, you will find out some things you don't like about the model you rent or boating, in general.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
MacPhid's Avatar
 
City: Barrie ON
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam88 View Post
Hello everyone,

First off all thanks to everyone who is behind this forum and shares his time and experience with us. Iím absolutely new to the boating world who started reading this forum last February. So interesting and so much information I spent 3 to 4 hrs everyday here for the last 3 months. Iíve got my pleasure boat licence last week and today (very excited) we took a look at the first boat (1981 Campion 30 Mercruiser v6 trawler) and we have another boat to look at next Tuesday (1992 Prowler 30ft two cabin twin Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one drive). I decided to go with no longer than 30ft as a first boat as so far I have zero experience and plan to do only the local cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again.


The Campion is a nice trawler, inboard shaft drive with the gas V-6. Probably gets reasonable fuel economy at trawler speed. This boat is very similar in design to the Camanoís now Helmsman.
The Prowler will be less fuel efficient with twin V6 I/Oís. youíll want to check the Prowler carefully for any signs of rot in the transom and stringers. Youíll also want to check the condition of the fuel tanks on both.

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #18
Member
 
City: Montrťal
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Bonjour,
M. 88. Have you considered renting a boat for a week or two? Yes, it will cost $$ BUT it will be a LOT cheaper than actually buying a boat and have your family not like it. This will also give you a bit of experience AND perhaps, you will find out some things you don't like about the model you rent or boating, in general.
I already searched my area and found only 14 - 16 ft fishing boats for rent, in the same time with my one week old boat license will probably be hard to find someone ready to rent me a cruiser. What I think to do is to visit some local marinas and pay someone for a day or two if local cruising.
Thanks for your advice M.Firefly.
Adam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #19
Member
 
City: Montrťal
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPhid View Post

Youíll also want to check the condition of the fuel tanks on both.

James
I did a research and both have aluminum fuel tanks . Is it something that I should be aware of?
Thanks
Adam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member
 
MacPhid's Avatar
 
City: Barrie ON
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Itís not unusual for aluminum fuel tanks of that vintage to develop pinhole leaks in the bottom section depending on installation and supports for them.
Just a thought to at least have a close look at their condition and location in case replacement is required in the future, especially for gasoline.

James
__________________

MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×