Hi everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimsid

I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. I've recently developed a hankering for buying a live aboard Trawler. I've been reading a lot of informational sites and listening to podcasts and truthfully I'm overwhelmed at the amount of information available.

I'm single with a dog and I would like to find a trawler to do the ICW and the loop. There are so many options out there I need someone to offer me some suggestions. I'd like to find a used 35' trawler with a single diesel engine and bow thruster that would fit the bill. Speaking of bills, my maximum price for the boat would be in the $75,000 range. I'm not a mechanic, so I need a reliable boat. My home port would be somewhere in North Carolina.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Jim

Welcome. I think you would do well to follow "The adventures of Sylphide" by user Wayfarer here. Dave (although an experienced merchant mariner) started out here with a similar sort of desire and is now regaling us regularly with tales of his travels. It will give you a great perspective.

Jim,
Welcome to the Forum!!! :)

The biggest piece of advice that I can give is to try to find a boat that has been lovingly maintained. At that price range and size, I would suspect you are limited to a fairly old boat. Older boats can cost a lot in terms of upkeep, maintenance, updating, and repairs. If you start out with a boat suffering from lack of maintenance, those costs can become prohibitive even if you somewhat of a DIYer.
Even if you can find a well maintained boat to fit your needs, do not invest all available funds in purchasing the boat. Keep a sizeable budget available for "upkeep". For this age and price range, I would suggest that the often quoted 10% of purchase price per year might not be enough, especially in the first few years of ownership.
Good luck.

Welcome aboard, and good luck in fulfilling your dream!

Many thanks. I will definitely check out that thread. I may have a somewhat similar background as Sylphide. I just recently got an upgrade to my merchant marine credentials to a 50 ton master. That said, I've never owned a boat bigger than 25 '. This will be interesting. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom