Old 07-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #1

City: Tulalip
Vessel Name: Cacoethes
Vessel Model: Hiptimco 40
Hi everyone

Hi,
My name is Brad and my wife and I bought a 1978 40' Hiptimco trawler last year. I was hoping to connect with anyone else that had or knew about Hiptimco. It is referred to by some as a Monk 40 but this doesn't sound probable. It is also referred to as an Orca 40 which is what it was marketed as in the NorthWest. I did find a 1978 article reviewing the boat. So far I have found some interesting info on the boat such as the address of the factory in Hong Kong. It doesn't appear that there are many of these around. The boat came with interesting documents like the original wiring diagram (which was really messed up). I found that the boat had some really curious wiring right from the start. Ripped all that out and started over. We are now cruising around the San Juan Islands in WA. Are there any other Hiptimco owners out there? I would love to connect with some!

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
DJI_0449.jpg  
Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. We bought a 46’ trawler that was docked at the Tulalip Indian Reservation back in 2002.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:13 AM   #3

Cool, I didn't think the Tulalip Marina had anything as big as 46 available. We had our Cal 2-29 there then and it looked big. Now they only allow tribal members. Sucks because we live on the res a mile from the marina. We are currently moored in Skyline which means we can be lost in the San Juans in 45 minutes.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it was on an end tie. The broker said if the harbormaster liked me they may let me stay, but if he didn’t then since I wasn’t a tribal member I would have to leave. We kept it there for about 5 months and did some work on it before I ran it to LA. Interesting little marina...
Old 07-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #5

Small world isn't it. We had our Cal 2-29 moored in the Tulalip marina back around 1998. We aren't tribe members but we have a 5 acre place on the res within a mile of the marina and they let us have a slip. It was a funky little marina but we enjoyed it. They would never send us a bill. I would have to go down there every once and a while and pay the moorage.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, they said I could stay, because the harbormaster liked me, but they would have to charge me double since I was not a member of the tribe. I asked what double was, $2 per foot per month. Still a great deal because when we got to LA the slip cost over $500 per month instead of $98.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #7

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacoethes View Post
Hi,
My name is Brad and my wife and I bought a 1978 40' Hiptimco trawler last year. I was hoping to connect with anyone else that had or knew about Hiptimco. It is referred to by some as a Monk 40 but this doesn't sound probable. It is also referred to as an Orca 40 which is what it was marketed as in the NorthWest. I did find a 1978 article reviewing the boat. So far I have found some interesting info on the boat such as the address of the factory in Hong Kong. It doesn't appear that there are many of these around. The boat came with interesting documents like the original wiring diagram (which was really messed up). I found that the boat had some really curious wiring right from the start. Ripped all that out and started over. We are now cruising around the San Juan Islands in WA. Are there any other Hiptimco owners out there? I would love to connect with some!

Brad

Good picture of your boat, nice classic hull.

You are in a very nice area. We played Cedarcrest golf course a couple of times, not far from Marysville only 3 miles from I-5.
Great scenic course of par 70 with fantastic views. Since it’s challenging especially slow greens and narrow fairways with high trees on both sides but one long straight, you love it or hate it. We loved it. It rains in Western WA, better to watch the weather, fairways could be very muddy. It was an enjoyable experience in casual atmosphere.
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome to TF. You started with a pic, so great job! We like pics...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Does look like a Monk design, as is mine (note my avatar)
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
I was intrigued by the name of your boat, so I googled it.

cac·o·e·thes

/ˌkakəˈwēT͟Hēz/

noun (rare)

noun: cacoethes: an irresistible urge to do something inadvisable.

Your beautiful boat has a most unique name!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Tags
hiptimco