Old 10-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

City: Monza
Vessel Name: Bellamia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 cl
Ciao da Mimmo

Hi, thanks for signing me.
First of all, I apologize if my English is approximate, but unfortunately I do not master this idiom. I write using a translator and therefore there may be misunderstandings.
Finally after many years of admiring the viewer, the trawlers managed to buy one with great satisfaction. This is a 1991 Grand Banks 42 'classic with two Caterpillar 210 hp, well equipped and well maintained.
Having been resident in Italy and having tried the French, Spanish and Croatian markets, I found what I think has all the features that have made me prefer to others.
I have not yet got it in possession but my purchase proposal has been accepted by the owner. It will still take quache week and then I will be the owner and commander.
At present, the only real problem facing the boat concerns the outdoor teak, that is, the tread plan, which will be restored shortly.
I was a child when I saw here in Italy also these magnificent boats which, although rare enough at the time, were noticed for the purity of lines and details. I fell in love literally from the first vision. In Italy they had and have new prices for me prohibitive and so I had to wait a long time to be able to afford this investment. Anyway, I have, fortunately, been able to enjoy the sea with other means, albeit not at the level of the trawlers, only smaller and planing boats with which I have had several experiences in the Mediterranean, while using sailing boats I sailed a little in the Caribbean Sea and the Seychelles.
Well, I think I have briefly presented myself and hope to be able to contribute to the forum as well as use it as a source of information.
Good sea to all.
Navigator53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Ciao and welcome aboard.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome and good luck with the purchase.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Ciao, and welcome aboard.

The Grand Banks 42 is a great boat and the Caterpillar engines are perfect for that boat.

Many GB 42s have problems with the teak decks. In many cases they can be salvaged by pulling off the teak plugs over the screws, resetting the screws 1/4" deeper and putting in new plugs.

But in many cases the screws have leaked water into the balsa core below and rotted the core. The repair is very expensive: pulling up the teak, removing the top layer of fiberglass, removing the rotten core, replacing it, fiberglassing over and finally replacing the teak. Very expensive to do it right.

I hope you aren't faced with these problems. Good luck with your purchase.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Welcome aboard.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #6

City: Monza
Vessel Name: Bellamia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Ciao, and welcome aboard.

The Grand Banks 42 is a great boat and the Caterpillar engines are perfect for that boat.

Many GB 42s have problems with the teak decks. In many cases they can be salvaged by pulling off the teak plugs over the screws, resetting the screws 1/4" deeper and putting in new plugs.

But in many cases the screws have leaked water into the balsa core below and rotted the core. The repair is very expensive: pulling up the teak, removing the top layer of fiberglass, removing the rotten core, replacing it, fiberglassing over and finally replacing the teak. Very expensive to do it right.

I hope you aren't faced with these problems. Good luck with your purchase.

David
Thanks to djmarchand, I'm proud of this boat that for me and according to so many experienced sailors of its kind is the best.
Unfortunately, it is afflicted with the teak problem in the blanket and I'm making some quotes to put it again because it's almost impossible to fix it.
Otherwise, under the worst conditions for motorization and the lack of important accessories (bow thruster), I preferred this to the other, not to mention that the availability at least here in Italy is poor. Who buys her for so many years in general and I hope I can do the same.
Navigator53 is offline   Reply With Quote