Hi, another Duck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Duck44

Hello All,
Must be Diesel Duck week!
Beth and I have bought the DD44 "Gaijin" which had been for sale for some time. Took a year from first contact with the broker.
We are based in Australia and have a self built 36ft yacht here (Boden 36 on Cruisers and Sailing Forum).
The plan is to give Gaijin a tidy up, and use her in the US. She is basically very sound, if a little untidy.
I have liked DD's for years, and kept a close watch on Amadeus when she was for sale.
Looking forward to the adventure and making some friends here!
Regards,
Richard.

Go Ducks!

Sorry, got a bit carried away! Welcome aboard!

In case you did not know, there is a DD specific website, Forums, run by Bill Kimley.

Later,
Dan

Welcome aboard, D Duck! Lots of love here for Ducks and Coots. Where is Gaijin resting now? No doubt several members here would be willing to keep her limbered up in your absence if she'll be sitting unused for periods! :flowers::D

Is your ultimate goal to take her back home on her own bottom?

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new boat, even if it's fowl. :rolleyes:

Ted

Greetings,
Welcome aboard...

giphy.gif

Quack! Quack! Quack!

(Welcome aboard, love your boat!)

I'm told that with the new Duck additions here, we either have a raft, team or paddling of Ducks, but not a flock unless they begin flying. Welcome aboard DDuck.

Is "Gaijin"the one that was laid up in NY near lake Ontario? If so, I have been curious about that one, looked like a solid boat that was unloved for whatever reason. Looked like a deal could be made for a peep not afraid of some work.

Thanks everyone!
Gaijin has been laid up in NY near Lake Ontario for some years.
She originally motored from China to Japan and was later imported to the US.
Apparently the owners were cruising the area and had medical problems which caused them to abandon their plans and leave the boat there.
She is sound but a bit neglected and was not presented well for sale. Will need a repaint and all systems checked and upgraded where necessary. My background is in steel boats so I'm happy with that. How I'll go maintaining two steel boats in two continents remains to be seen.
Luckily, the price took into account the work that will be needed.
Our plans are to spend next season sorting her out, and then enjoy the delights of cruising in the US for few seasons.
What happens after that will depend on how much we like the boat!

Regards,
Richard.

Some time ago, I read the blog of M/V Shearwater which cruised from China to the Philippines and then crossed the Pacific to the Pacific North West. I believe she was a DD 462 and had a crew of 4. It should be possible to make it to New Zealand if you wanted to motor home but might be trying for a couple.

:confused:OK, yes, welcome to the forum, D.Duck44, and thanks for the pic. You just squeeked in and avoided being told by someone, "if there's no pic, it doesn't exist!" It's a bit of a custom on here. Now...please tell us where the heck is Pretty Beach in Oz, I live here but don't have a clue.

Pete, our Pretty Beach is just north of Sydney, and is on the entrance to Brisbane Water where it comes off Broken Bay. In a fairly slow boat we can be in Sydney Harbour in three hours and Pittwater, Cowan and the Hawkesbury are on our doorstep.
A nice quiet bushy little place and excellent for boating!

Regards,
Richard.

That boat is sweet. I have been in Boat Lust for a Duck for years, though I am sufficiently boated at this time. In another life I was a boatswain mate on a destroyer made of steel. If it moves salute it, otherwise paint it. I watched Ganjin on YW, she should serve you well. You will need air conditioning if you come south in the summer. A proper genset would also be nice if memory serves.
Smooth seas.

Pete, our Pretty Beach is just north of Sydney, and is on the entrance to Brisbane Water where it comes off Broken Bay. In a fairly slow boat we can be in Sydney Harbour in three hours and Pittwater, Cowan and the Hawkesbury are on our doorstep.
A nice quiet bushy little place and excellent for boating!

Regards,
Richard.

Ooh, aaah, nice spot. Great cruising places. :)

Back
Top Bottom