Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #21

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Lol yep those are some huge davits, they will hold weight wise much larger of a boat than I can physically fit back there. They are actually set up so I can swing them around and yank the motors with them so they are stout. Yea those 30 inch wheels really threw me for a loop. Definitely an odd setup all the way around.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #22

She does about 7 knots at 1200 rpm. Almost 3 knots at idle.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You said you were putting a new holding tank in. May I recommend Ronko tanks. Really good quality and they have hundreds of stock tanks that they will put fittings in per your specifications. I would put in 2 vents, one going to each side to keep your tank aerobic. No affiliation just a happy customer of Ronko.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #24

City: NYC, NY
You are a brave man indeed but so far you seem to have the patience and skill to get this boat to where you want it. Not many guys like you around.
Certainly looks like you have a good base to start with.
Looking forward to more posts as this comes along.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I am curious as to where in Canada your boat was made, could be either east or west coast. And the fact you work on a tug could put you on either coast. But the largest use of tugs in the world is in British Columbia.

Are you located in Canada?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #26

Yea I’ve never owned a boat before but all of my careers have been located on or around the water and one under it, so over the years I’ve turned a lot of wrenches on a lot of different things, I also used to do a lot of woodworking with my grandfather as a child who was a master carpenter for 56 years or so so I’ve got a pretty good base knowledge on just about everything that I should need to refurb a boat. And no I am not located in Canada, the gulf coast is where i live and I work on the major rivers cutting through America. From Nola to Chicago and Pittsburg. It’s like half the great loop every trip I go to work. And I work on tow boats not tug boats.
Attached Thumbnails
319F8D87-3F40-4AB2-9961-A58AB7DB38FA.jpeg   32A3134C-663D-4397-A04E-68052F07E9E3.jpeg   FEA8C7C5-8E52-4CC4-8589-5ABEFC405EC5.jpg  
Old 10-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #27

City: Port Aransas, Texas
Vessel Name: Masalama
Vessel Model: 2001 custom sailing catamaran
Looks like a swell project! Can't quite agree with Peter B. She has all the potential to be pretty. I my deteriorating old mind, almost all boats have the potential to be pretty. I am still sailing (48" custom catamaran), but increasingly looking at trawlers as I get older and more arthritic. Yard prices (and marina prices) around Galveston Bay are significantly higher than down here in the Corpus Christi area. For DIY projects, "House of Boats" and "Hooking Bull" near Rockport offer the best rates for hauling and dry storage while refurbishing. For more professional work, "Mile 533" in Aransas Pass handles a mix of commercial and recreational vessels with significant experience with metal hulls. The downward spiral of gulf shrimping has left a lot of people and facilities with boat work potential pretty under utilized.
CaptainDwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #28

City: Port Aransas, Texas
Vessel Name: Masalama
Vessel Model: 2001 custom sailing catamaran
Lots of Winchester shotgun ammo at the head of the double berth, and maybe a Glock? in a case. Are you a sporting man? Ducks? Lots of guns down here on the Texas Gulf Coast. "Don't mess with Texas".
CaptainDwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #29

I believe the boat was buitlt in Quebec.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #30

Lol yea all the ammo was the PO not from me. Hmmm I believe there was a Kel tek 22 mag pistol in that box.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #31
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
Lol yep those are some huge davits, they will hold weight wise much larger of a boat than I can physically fit back there. They are actually set up so I can swing them around and yank the motors with them so they are stout. Yea those 30 inch wheels really threw me for a loop. Definitely an odd setup all the way around.
With 2 FL120s on a 42-foot boat, I had 24X18 wheels; so those sound a bit big.
What is the pitch? Might want to watch for signs of overloading. What's boat weight?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #32
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Did I understand you correctly that the topsides will be stripped of all paint and left clean?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #33

City: Galt
Vessel Name: Solitude
Vessel Model: Nova marine aft deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
These were the pics I took the day I first went to see her, She looks pretty rough but is making progress all the time. I’ll update pics and progress as I go along. Also that’s not me in the pics that’s the PO
welcome and I agree with your assessment of TF everyone has been so welcoming and helpful. I wish you the very best with your quest of global cruising, we waited to long. so will concentrate on SF Bay and Delta. where I have been boatin for most of my life.
Delta couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #34

I’m not sure of the pitch yet. I don’t have any documentation on the wheels, I was going to do a load test on them next trip to see if they start overheating. If they do I know they have too much pitch for the engines to turn at upper rpm. If so I’ll get some new wheels for regular use and just keep these for spares or for when I go long distances. And yes I am striping everything above the water line except the deck and inside bull works. I spend almost all my time at work painting, and maintaining a boat, the last thing I want to do is come home and paint another boat lol
Old 10-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #35
Guru

Owning a wooden boat for many years, I did a lot of painting; so I appreciate the comment about not wanting to paint. Gray AL won't reflect our summer heat here on the Gulf Coast as well as a white painted cabin; so hope you do a really good job of insulating the bulkheads and have some powerful ac. I am not sure what you expect to gain by replacing those FLs with any other engine - it seems like spending money you could use for other things on the boat. They are right sized for the size boat you have there. They are pretty simple and will run forever if maintained to any degree, and they are well supported, especially by American Diesel.