Hi to all Members - new to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrekap

Hi Mates
I'm looking to broaden my knowledge base and learn from your wisdom.
I'm crossing to the " dark side" from being a sailor most of my life ( crossed Atlantic on C&C43), at some point of life, the kids happened so had to sell my 40ft Jeanneau and build a land yacht aka , a cottage.
Now kids have grown enough that going to the cottage was boring for them - sold the cottage...retirement in 4 years - looking to buy 40-48 ft trawler and get back to cruising in any direction from A to B in straight line regardless of wind dirrection ?. I kinda like the Selene 43,45,47... single engine , pilot house ..like the lines of them...
Thank you
Andre

Welcome aboard! You’ve finally seen the light!
You’ll get plenty of good advise here, just don’t ask about anchors! These folks are just nuts when it comes to anchors. You’ll start an argument that will run hundreds of posts.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Pay no mind to Mr. HC. ANYTHING can start an argument/"discussion" that will run for hundreds of posts. Forget about anchors, we're just nuts (Present company excepted, of course).

iu

Oh, the bloody anchors...it's the same as how much chain to carry in your bow locker to have just enough to anchor safely but not too much - not to make the bow too heavy to prevent pitch polling...lol
I've finally seen the light , hahaha, like that
A

Yeah, have fun!

I'm new to the trawler life too, but still have the land yacht. Why not, it's paid for - :)

Eventually all sailboat guys see the light.

Attachments

• 3B9F9B26-4A93-477C-A8C4-59242FC2F9F9.jpg
    3B9F9B26-4A93-477C-A8C4-59242FC2F9F9.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 12
Oh yes, the light ....

Besides the obvious advantages of " flat sailing" and no tacking...
There is more to it...I think we can all relate to it - pass certain age sail handling, sail changes , going forward in rough seas because the line or something else has jammed , or you can't furl or drop the jib, etc...it all just lost the charm and sailing in one direction and controlling your progress from the safety of pilothouse is the way to go.
I know that the wind " fuel" is cheap, but really, is it? Sails are expensive...
Some may say that diesel fuel is expensive - it is , true but when you buy a ferrari, do you ask for the fuel milage ?

So trawler is the way to go...:)
Andre

Back
Top Bottom