Hi all another newbie with a lot of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarrowood

First I want to say I've been reading a lot of the posts for several weeks and am happy to say great information is on this site.Like many of the new members my wife and I are nearing retirement and have decided we will purchase a boat to do some extended cruising on. I don't think I could convince my wife to become a full time live aboard. I've been looking on line and have viewed in person several boats over the past few weeks. Although several boats have caught our eye (non-trawlers), the fuel consumption puts them in a category that scares me away. She insist on a sundeck model with a good amount of outside space to entertain in and or hang out. I've looked at Grand Banks and hatteras lrc but neither have the required sundeck space. I'm going to look at a president this weekend but haven't read much good or bad about these boats. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Looking in price range up to 100k.
Thanks

Welcome Tarrowood. Good luck with your hunt. Don't assume that all non trawlers are hard on fuel. It is the speed that makes them burn fuel. Run at trawler speed many are very efficient and this widens the scope for a sundeck model. Have fun looking.

Thanks for the insight. I'm also going to check out a hatteras 42 and a carver 42 since they both have the outside spaces the wife (soon to be admiral) insists on.

Welcome Tarrowood. Good luck with your hunt. Don't assume that all non trawlers are hard on fuel. It is the speed that makes them burn fuel. Run at trawler speed many are very efficient and this widens the scope for a sundeck model. Have fun looking.

Excellent advice! BTW, welcome!

We have a sundeck PT52- fuel consumption is excellent at hull speed or less, and we have the ability to power up and get out of harm's way if needed. We prefer traveling at slow speeds, and not just because of fuel usage- it's just more comfortable overall, and we get to enjoy the trip.

Look here for info on out boat (post #11):

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/follow-alaskan-sea-ductions-adventure-up-west-coast-11679.html

Keep her happy, and you'll be happy :D

Thank you Paul Hana, this was my initial thought but I keep reading about diesels not holding up well to light use so I was concerned with operating a cruiser ad hull speeds for extended periods. If this is not the case that would be great. Boat would be used in Chesapeake ICW eventually great loop and maybe south of Florida some day.

Hogwash, I say. We have Cat 3208 TAs, and they run flawlessly at our slow speeds. Boatdiesel.com is a great source of info on the care and feeding of dieesl engines.

I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of folks on TF putt around at 7-10 knots, whatever the hull configuration (full displacement, semi-displacement, or planing).

On the outside spaces- I am a hardcore fishing fanatic, and grew up on sportfishers in Southern California. To this day, the 33 Bertram and her ilk are the epitome of perfect boats- offshore battlewagons with huge decks to fight fish from. I am completely enjoying the aft cabin configuration of our boat, with its privacy, excellent entertainment and socializing spaces, and cockpit to enter/egress the boat from.

Enjoy the hunt, and take time to explore- you may be surprised at what you find!

I guess the Hatteras with twin 671-ti engines might be worth a look then. I was concerned with not running the engines hard enough to burn all the fuel efficiently. I'm a big fan of having the extra get up and go if you need it.

I guess the Hatteras with twin 671-ti engines might be worth a look then. I was concerned with not running the engines hard enough to burn all the fuel efficiently. I'm a big fan of having the extra get up and go if you need it.

Detroits are reliable, easy to work on, and have a reputation for being leakers, noisy, and thirsty.

boatdiesel.com is your friend for researching all things marine diesel- the best $25 you'll spend for peace of mind.

No affiliation- just a fan.

Paul Hana, appreciate the help. It appears there is no perfect diesel.They all have their limitations or special issues.
I'm pretty good about cleaning up and can handle a slobbering leaking engine. The thirsty part has me concerned.

Detroits are reliable, easy to work on, and have a reputation for being leakers, noisy, and thirsty..
I love the old 6-71s. Yes, they have a sound all their own (but it's a sweet sound) and they do leak a bit. An AirSep by Walker Engineering, however, takes care of the leaks. Don't shy away from a properly maintained pair of DD6-71s.

Walker Engineering - Home

Attachments

• Blow By Comment.jpg
    Blow By Comment.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 111
Welcome aboard, and hope you find that "perfect boat." As someone else said, or at least implied, you won't be happy with a boat if your SO if not also happy with it! :)

John

I call my wife the $6-million woman. Why? When we first met I had an old 32' timber sloop. The head was a bucket. The shower was one of those little solar heating bags. She loved that boat and the wild and crazy adventures we had for years aboard her sailing all over. Now that we've got the trawler she thinks she's died and gone to heaven. Personal experience there...not sure what it may be worth to you??? While searching for our trawler, I saw a 1982-ish Marine Trader 44 Sundeck model with twin Ford Lehmans. Loads of deck space and as I recall the price was around $80K. And, like ours, the "leaky teakie" decks had been removed and re-glassed. I think you'll find the boat-searching part of the experience is lots of fun, heavy-duty learning curve, with a bit of frustration thrown in for spice. Welcome and best of luck!

Thanks for the insight. I'm also going to check out a hatteras 42 and a carver 42 since they both have the outside spaces the wife (soon to be admiral) insists on.

Hi, Tarrowood,

We're in the same position, albeit nowhere near the joys of retirement. We've found ourselves increasingly attracted to the Bayliner 4788 and the Carver 450 Voyager. Outdoor space is important to us as well, but the beautiful flybridge on both we believe meets those needs. (The 4788 also has great deck space for relaxing on the bow.) Now, to figure out how to afford either one!

Good luck with your hunt!

Shantyhag

(Tarrowood-- Sent a PM with info on Grand Banks sundeck models.)

Marin, just go live and share your thoughts- might benefit others.

Hi, Tarrowood,

We're in the same position, albeit nowhere near the joys of retirement. We've found ourselves increasingly attracted to the Bayliner 4788 and the Carver 450 Voyager. Outdoor space is important to us as well, but the beautiful flybridge on both we believe meets those needs. (The 4788 also has great deck space for relaxing on the bow.) Now, to figure out how to afford either one!

Good luck with your hunt!

Shantyhag

If those are the boats you are interested in you may want to look into the Maxum 4600 SCB. Very similar to the Voyager 45 except you can find them for a less money. Also the 4100 SCB if you wanna go a little smaller and cheaper.

I am also a newbie trawler owner. I think this is my first post, but a long time lurker for great information.
In June we took delivery of our 1982 41' President Sundeck with twin ford lehman 120's. The delivery from Lake Michigan to to Ct. was a month full of information gathering.
We are in the process of moving on board full time with slight modifications for cold, diesel fireplaces with better insulation all around. So far the boat is great, lots of wood and access to all of the areas. Low fuel burn was also a criteria for our search. The boat has three "hang out" areas. The main salon, sundeck and the upper helm. All of which have plenty of space for relaxing. Wife and are in Southern New England and travel every weekend to a different ports. (until the ice locks us in !!)

Welcome Tarrowood. I purchased a 1986 47' Atlantic trawler in January this year. The Atlantic is a J. Hargrave design as is the Hatteras and I have twin Detroit 671 TA's that are original and run great. Clean fuel and oil is all it takes, and yes you need a pad under them for the drips, but they run great. Pleanty of power but I generally run 6 - 8 knots. Finding the perfect boat might be impossible, unless you have one built. So, be ready to compromise a little and enjoy.

She insist on a sundeck model with a good amount of outside space to entertain in and or hang out. I've looked at Grand Banks and hatteras lrc but neither have the required sundeck space. I'm going to look at a president this weekend but haven't read much good or bad about these boats. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Looking in price range up to 100k.
Thanks

The bow often makes a nice sundeck.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom