Hey dere from da U.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey. I am new to the forum here. My wife and I have a Rosborough 245 and a C-Dory 22 Cruiser. We part the waters of Lake Superior on a regular basis. We even pull a fish or two in the process. I look forward to interacting here.

Cheers,
Dave

Welcome to the forum!
That's a nice cruising area. Spent 6 weeks in Superior in 2017. Went past your area going from Marquette to Copper Harbor on up to Isle Royale National Park. Enjoyed a short stay in Lac La Belle, beautiful! Return trip was through the Keweenaw waterway. Unfortunately time was running short and wasn't able to make it down to L'Anse Bay. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be back up.

Ted

Welcome to the forum!
That's a nice cruising area. Spent 6 weeks in Superior in 2017. Went past your area going from Marquette to Copper Harbor on up to Isle Royale National Park. Enjoyed a short stay in Lac La Belle, beautiful! Return trip was through the Keweenaw waterway. Unfortunately time was running short and wasn't able to make it down to L'Anse Bay. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be back up.

Ted
We have a camp on Lac LaBelle and slip our boats there. Small world.

Dave, I've heard the UP winds are hellacious in the winter, with lots of snow thrown in. True?:eek:

374" of snow last year, Ken. Yeah...we know a little bit about lake effect here on the Keweenaw peninsula. Superior can whip up deadly but, thankfully, the coasts are riddled with safe harbors.

Cheers,
Dave

Hmmmm end of August, boating season is winding down. TEASE
Of course, you could switch to an ice boat. Oh yea, I remember freezing all my body parts off..... This was in the late 50s (that's 1950s, for you youngins)
Granted, the quality of cold weather clothing has really improved but, scooting along at 60 mph and no brakes. Sure does frost your face. CHUCKLE

Too much snow here for ice boats, Old Dan. I did race DNs when I lived in the lower part of the state back in the '60s. It was great fun but hard on the hands to hold sheetline and tiller steer. ;)

Too much snow here for ice boats, Old Dan. I did race DNs when I lived in the lower part of the state back in the '60s. It was great fun but hard on the hands to hold sheetline and tiller steer. ;)

The old DN were fun to watch....

I guess that leaves snowmobiles.... noisy and can go too fast for me. :blush:

Yep, I'm not a snomo fan. (But they are good for our economy.)

Snow shoes?

Or do you hide out in the winter and have the food delivered? LOL
I lived in the Detroit area for about 18 years growing up.
Worked a winter in Northern Alberta....
and now you know why I keep my boat in FL.

Last edited:
Welcome from Detroit. I am considering a boat purchase in the Apostles. Little worried about a trip to Detroit in October. Beautiful weather time of year, but Superior is a little more unforgiving than the other GL's. I think the longest harbor stretch is Houghton to Marquette at 70 miles or 7 hours. I have seen Superior go from placid to "I'm not going out in that" in about 1.5 hours. Superior requires tremendous faith in the weatherman. Love to sled in your backyard. Always worth the trip. Bill

Welcome from Detroit. I am considering a boat purchase in the Apostles. Little worried about a trip to Detroit in October. Beautiful weather time of year, but Superior is a little more unforgiving than the other GL's. I think the longest harbor stretch is Houghton to Marquette at 70 miles or 7 hours. I have seen Superior go from placid to "I'm not going out in that" in about 1.5 hours. Superior requires tremendous faith in the weatherman. Love to sled in your backyard. Always worth the trip. Bill

It has been said, Lake Superior never gives up its dead.

I think the longest harbor stretch is Houghton to Marquette at 70 miles or 7 hours. I have seen Superior go from placid to "I'm not going out in that" in about 1.5 hours. Bill

Hey Bill. You can always shoot up to Lac LaBelle and then to Big Bay. Or scoot to Huron Bay and slip around the corner when the weather settles. But, yes, the lake can kick up quick. I have had our Rossi and our Dory out in some awful stuff. I never felt in danger in the 246 but the ride beat me up good. Bruised several times.

Hey Bill. You can always shoot up to Lac LaBelle and then to Big Bay. Or scoot to Huron Bay and slip around the corner when the weather settles. But, yes, the lake can kick up quick. I have had our Rossi and our Dory out in some awful stuff. I never felt in danger in the 246 but the ride beat me up good. Bruised several times.

Makes me wonder why seat belts are never and option for a boat.

Not this guy! She ain't getting me. I think.

My buddy sent me a picture form Trout Bay on Grand Island. It was of a wave rolling in on some rocky shore. Looked like maybe twenty feet across and three feet high. I was like, yeah? He said "see my zodiac tied up in a tree in the middle of the bay?". HOOOOOOLY Cow! That was a single wave about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide and thirty feet high. His 12 foot Zodiac was a tiny spec up in a huge tree that I thought was a fern or something. One of the craziest pictures I have ever seen. Trout Bay is fairly protected and on the east side of Grand Island. When those three day blows come in you are going nowhere.

It has been said, Lake Superior never gives up its dead.

HOOOOOOLY Cow! That was a single wave about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide and thirty feet high. Trout Bay is fairly protected and on the east side of Grand Island. When those three day blows come in you are going nowhere.

Yeah, current and wind can stack things up there. Same thing at the tip of the Keweenaw which is why most folks go through Portage Entry.

Greetings, and welcome to the forum. I'm currently sitting at Port Inland on the Lake Michigan side-a-da UP. Speaking of weather, this just rolled through a couple of hours ago:

Thankfully it was pretty anticlimactic. A few gusts to 45-50 and it was over by the time we really got ourselves sewn to the dock.

Fall can be tricky on these lakes. My advice is to not bother with the sustained wind forecasts. Look at what the gusts are supposed to be, add 50%, and that'll be your sustained wind speed.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 30
We have fished out of Fairport and Manistique when things got pretty ugly. None of the Great Lakes are a cakewalk. Thanks for posting the great pics, Wayfarer.

Welcome. Former Houghton resident here and worked boats out at Isle Royale for a few before relocating west.

Y'all are welcome to ar fun lil site from Dixie!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom