Hello from Wimauma, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom-Smith

Vessel Name
Albula
Vessel Make
Blackwell / Glen Haught
Hello everyone. I am happy to have found this Trawler Forum as I am sure we all have at least one major thing in common. I look forward to exploring the site and interacting with many of you.
I entered the Trawler world in June 2018 when I bought Albula in Ft Myers, FL. Soon thereafter, I moved her to the Twin Dolphin Marina on the Manatee River in Bradenton, FL. Albula is one of two custom built boats. They were designed and engineered by Glen Haught of Wanchese, NC. Glen still owns his. The hulls of the two boats were built by Blackwell Boatworks in Wanchese, NC and then transported to Glen's property where they built everything up from the Hulls. Albula was slightly modified by Blackwell in 2015 by having a three foot swim platform addition added to her hull. It changed the waterline of Albula from 56 feet top 59 feet. Overall, Albula is 60 feet long, 18 1/2 feet wide, and she drafts three feet. She is powered by a single John Deere 6068D air aspirated engine and pushes Albula at 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 Kts at 1500 RPM. Thank God she does have a bow thruster ;-) I attempted to attach two pictures of Albula, so hopefully they make it.
I look forward to interacting with many of you and hope to learn much from this forum.

Attachments

• Albula-1.png
    Albula-1.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Albula-3.png
    Albula-3.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 254
Welcome aboard! Cool boat for poking around in Florida’s shallow water.

She definitely gets into places most others don't dare to venture into. She was designed to be a Flats fisherman's mother-ship. Her name, Albula, is the genus name for the Bone Fish

Welcome to Trawler Forum. Cool boat.

Welcome aboard. Neat looking boat, how about more photos?

I added a few photos to an album named Albula. I believe if you go to my profile, you will be able to open that album.
If you could be so kind as to let me know if you were able to open it, I would appreciate it. Trying to figure this all out.
Thank you

Pictures are there. Beautiful!

What an interesting boat, from an interesting custom builder in Wanchese, which is a salty little 'burg. Glad you found the Trawler Forum - welcome!

What is Albula's hull constructed of?

Albula's construction is Cold Molded. Hull is double layered 3/4 inch marine ply, epoxied, fiber glassed inside and out. Rest of the boat is double layered 1/2 inch marine ply same. Albula is all painted with Awl Grip.

Albula's construction is Cold Molded. Hull is double layered 3/4 inch marine ply, epoxied, fiber glassed inside and out. Rest of the boat is double layered 1/2 inch marine ply same. Albula is all painted with Awl Grip.

Stout ,bullet proof construction

Her dry weight is supposed to be 55,000 lbs

Welcome to the forum. Cool looking boat. We're on the other side of the bridges at Riviera Dunes.

I looked at Riviera Dunes when I was hunting for a slip to move her to. I do love Twin Dolphin Marina. I like the wall around it because it limits the effects of other boats going by and the current. That is what I liked about Riviera Dunes as well. Very well protected.
Do you get out on the boat much? If so, where do you normally go?

Welcome! If I recall correctly, this boat was vetted in the “Interesting Boats” thread.

I looked at Riviera Dunes when I was hunting for a slip to move her to. I do love Twin Dolphin Marina. I like the wall around it because it limits the effects of other boats going by and the current. That is what I liked about Riviera Dunes as well. Very well protected.
Do you get out on the boat much? If so, where do you normally go?

We get out pretty regularly, when the wind isn’t whipping. We sometimes go to Gulfport for the weekend or Otter Key (Sarasota) or Marina Jack’s (also Sarasota). For day trips, we’ll often head out to Egmont for lunch or dinner or just cruise around the bay or shoot out into the Gulf and drift around.

I'm not familiar with the “Interesting Boats” thread so not sure if it was or not. When would that have been? I just signed up on the Site today.

Tom
Nice looking boat - looking forward to hearing more about your experiences and adventures. Glad to have you aboard TF

Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard!! I'm in Wimauma as well and keep my boat at Little Harbor in Ruskin. Brought her down this past July from NY. Still learning the area here as far as places to cruise to locally. Very interesting boat you've got there. Would love to see her up close someday. You're certainly in a great location at Twin Dolphin. Have fun here as the people are great and very knowledgeable.

Beautiful vessel! I ran across her today after lunch at Pier 22. Two staterooms I presume?

Hi Tom. I've been scrolling through items on the forum and noticed that you mentioned that Aubula might be for sale. Did a Google search and saw her on a broker's site from about a year ago. Is she still available? -Sam

Back
Top Bottom